HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 26, 2011, 09:59 AM
United Kingdom, Bristol
Joined Aug 2008
1,774 Posts
Discussion
Genius - HK-5320 servos. FIXED

Well open my gift to myself yesterday. Have to say pretty chuffed with Genius.

Well turns out gear busted in servo. 4+1 mini flights ie 6 axis and 3 axis all well and no bumps. Impressed i was still most likely only 4/6mins total.
Well appears at some point i broke gear, it happens. Could hear it working but not connected. Well +1 flight was with broken gear! Well if i touched servo horn it worked. So had ago just to see what happens. Well all fine worked. Maybe it was broken from get go but hey things go wrong.

Well this is where fun just gets bizarre!! Well being lazy and wanting to play with my new toy. I'd got some micro servos from hobbyking HK-5320 Ultra-Micro Digital Servo Well put only one on and that when problems started.

1. I can not for the life of me get aileron servo to reverse. All it keeps doing is reversing with the pitch servo.
2. So i changed all servos which did let me reverse, So was able to setup swash so all good!!?? NOT!
3. Next problem in 6 axis mode. When i lean heli forward the swash does the same. So now the swash needs reversing! WT#!!

Help

SadSack is offline Find More Posts by SadSack
Last edited by SadSack; Dec 30, 2011 at 06:38 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 26, 2011, 10:45 AM
Newb Rotary Pilot
Odenton, MD
Joined Apr 2009
409 Posts
Someone in another thread said that it is the way these servos are wired on the inside. You will not get them to work properly sorry I am not advanced enough to tell you exactly why. I believe what needs to be done is 2 wires swapped on the inside of the servos. Again though I am not technical enough to tell you which ones. There are reports that these HK servos will work with some simple wire switching and light mods to make them fit.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dproduct=14839

Good luck hope you get back in the air soon. My G is grounded too because of servos.....sucks!
Nytflyer is offline Find More Posts by Nytflyer
Old Dec 26, 2011, 10:56 AM
Joined Jul 2011
1,389 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SadSack View Post

Well turns out gear busted in servo. 4+1 mini flights ie 6 axis and 3 axis all well and no bumps. Impressed i was still most likely only 4/6mins total.
Well appears at some point i broke gear, it happens. Could hear it working but not connected. Well +1 flight was with broken gear! Well if i touched servo horn it worked. So had ago just to see what happens. Well all fine worked. Maybe it was broken from get go but hey things go wrong.

Well this is where fun just gets bizarre!! Well being lazy and wanting to play with my new toy. I'd got some micro servos from hobbyking HK-5320 Ultra-Micro Digital Servo Well put only one on and that when problems started.

1. I can not for the life of me get aileron servo to reverse. All it keeps doing is reversing with the pitch servo.
2. So i changed all servos which did let me reverse, So was able to setup swash so all good!!?? NOT!
3. Next problem in 6 axis mode. When i lean heli forward the swash does the same. So now the swash needs reversing! WT#!!

Help

Sorry to hear that. From the day 1, I learn to fly rc heli, I was told to replace cyclic servos /w same brand, no mix up. I was even told to replace all 3 cyclic servos at the same time though only 1 is bad, keep old good ones as component spare replacement. Of course, I am sure most of us (including me) disgaree to replace all 3 cyclic servos, but no different brand servo mix is a must.

Do know which walkera servo's gear is bad. I suggest
1. took out servo compartment, look for gear teeth stripped. Removed stripped gear, turned it 180 degree and put it back to servo. You are lucky, new gear orientation and servo operation may avoid stripped teeth.
2. You may inspect all 3 servos and do the same thing if you find any stripped teeth.
3. put all 3 servos back and have a try.

Hope it help.
wlee1017 is offline Find More Posts by wlee1017
Old Dec 26, 2011, 12:47 PM
Sopwith Camel's Cousin
Between my tx and crashed aircraft
Joined Mar 2006
3,792 Posts
Quote:

Well turns out gear busted in servo. ...

You may have already handled this: Hobby King and Walkera servos both have "+" in the middle pin of the servo plug, but the "-" and "s" lines are swapped with respect to one another.

In this other thread, a potential problem of using digital servos with the Genius Rx is mentioned by f.a.r.m.e.r, but I do not really understand the explaination:
"Help with list for first Genius CP purchase."
http://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=358491&pp=40
flying-llama is offline Find More Posts by flying-llama
Old Dec 30, 2011, 06:37 AM
United Kingdom, Bristol
Joined Aug 2008
1,774 Posts
Thanks guys for rapid reply's!!
So sorry took so long to answer. Friend came round and infected me with a cold.....say no more!!!

Well good new is it can be fixed.
Ok need 2N7002 sot23 package and 1x470ohm res.

If you give me a moment to recover i'll post more detail with pics.

Again thanks guys, info helped.

Phil
Old Dec 30, 2011, 07:15 AM
Joined Nov 2011
15 Posts
You can't fix it in software because the mixing is done on the RX board, and it can't be told to reverse. I've successfully reversed the servos and got them running in the genius, but it's hard. Sounds like you've got the pin swapping sorted, which is the first step. Next you need to open the servo casings, then swap the motor wires and the red pot wires (leave the black one alone).
jeremyc is offline Find More Posts by jeremyc
Old Dec 30, 2011, 08:47 AM
United Kingdom, Bristol
Joined Aug 2008
1,774 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremyc View Post
You can't fix it in software because the mixing is done on the RX board, and it can't be told to reverse. I've successfully reversed the servos and got them running in the genius, but it's hard. Sounds like you've got the pin swapping sorted, which is the first step. Next you need to open the servo casings, then swap the motor wires and the red pot wires (leave the black one alone).
Ok that works too Just tried!
Still got 2 options Some my feel happier modding on outside.

Phil
Old Jan 05, 2012, 09:29 PM
Tokyo
Joined Jan 2010
700 Posts
Quote:
If you give me a moment to recover i'll post more detail with pics.
Any photos or diagrams would be much appreciated.

Think I'm having the same issue with some hk-282a's (orange color).

I opened the servo but I think all the pot wires were black so not sure which ones to switch? Will confirm when I get home from work.
bytemuncher is offline Find More Posts by bytemuncher
Last edited by bytemuncher; Jan 05, 2012 at 09:35 PM.
Old Jan 06, 2012, 04:09 AM
Joined Nov 2011
15 Posts
On mine, there's a red and a blue wire leading to the motor. Swap these. On my board, that would place the blue wire on the same side as the brown wire leading out of the servo.

There are 3 wires coming out of the pot. It's the outside two you need to swap. The black one is the centre one, so you can leave that one alone. The two to swap line up with the red and brown wires on the RX cable. With the chip facing towards the pot the wires should be crossed over after the mod.

If you get it wrong the servo will probably jam towards one end as soon as you power it up. Be ready to turn it off before it strips a gear. Also, try not to lose the clear plastic piece between the pot and the circuit board... like I just did.
jeremyc is offline Find More Posts by jeremyc
Old Jan 06, 2012, 04:12 AM
United Kingdom, Bristol
Joined Aug 2008
1,774 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bytemuncher View Post
Any photos or diagrams would be much appreciated.

Think I'm having the same issue with some hk-282a's (orange color).

I opened the servo but I think all the pot wires were black so not sure which ones to switch? Will confirm when I get home from work.
Cant do a clear picture, mobile just not good enough.
Pretty easy really.
Swap motor wires around.
Pot wires appeared to me easy, even with all black.
Pot has 3 wires. 2 outer ones which you need to swap around.
Middle which stays as is.
Once you take a moment to look at it you'll see how it goes.
Old Jan 06, 2012, 04:13 AM
Tokyo
Joined Jan 2010
700 Posts
Thanks jeremy & Sadsack! I'm going to give this a try and see if I can't get these working.
bytemuncher is offline Find More Posts by bytemuncher
Old Apr 12, 2012, 10:38 AM
Mark at MicronWings
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Feb 2011
26 Posts
Sorry SadSack
Seems it isn't the two outside wires. I just tried this myself and it didn't work. Maybe they have changed the wiring on the latest servos they are producing but what worked for me was the following.
1. Swap the motor wires
2. Swap the two red wires on the circuit board.

mark1968 is offline Find More Posts by mark1968
Old Apr 12, 2012, 01:36 PM
United Kingdom, Bristol
Joined Aug 2008
1,774 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark1968 View Post
Sorry SadSack
Seems it isn't the two outside wires. I just tried this myself and it didn't work. Maybe they have changed the wiring on the latest servos they are producing but what worked for me was the following.
1. Swap the motor wires
2. Swap the two red wires on the circuit board.
Very nice pictures, couldn't be any clearer.

Thanks

Phil
Old Apr 24, 2012, 01:16 PM
Joined Apr 2012
14 Posts
I'm guessing this would work on the V120 Helis too right? Is there an advantage to this other than price? Are they servos stronger than Walkera's?
gabeoravitz is offline Find More Posts by gabeoravitz
Old Apr 24, 2012, 02:27 PM
United Kingdom, Bristol
Joined Aug 2008
1,774 Posts
I may well be wrong in saying this...this issue only applies to Genius CP. I know older models 4#3a/b could use servos as is. Quite why they changed it! Well they will make make more money.
And that's the main reason for using this servo cost. And specs just about the same.