SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 07, 2012, 05:15 PM
Florida
Joined Mar 2005
806 Posts
Kent,

This wing will move when needed. My flying weight is 2lbs. 3ozs. We flew it late in the afternoon and there wasn't any thermal activity that I could find. But, maybe tomorrow will be better and I want to try bending the hooks flater so I can maintain a high angle of attack to get higher on launch.

Vern
Vernon Hunt is offline Find More Posts by Vernon Hunt
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 07, 2012, 05:33 PM
less is more
United States, CA, Marina
Joined Sep 2006
2,826 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vernon Hunt View Post
Kent,

This wing will move when needed.

Vern
I'm sure it will. I could tell you were trying to scratch out some lift.

I'm guessing that you have about a 7" chord. That would make the wing loading 5.62 oz / s.f.

That is lighter than anything I've got. Nice work.

Kent
Knoll53 is online now Find More Posts by Knoll53
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: SW-7 Final flaps
Old Jan 07, 2012, 05:59 PM
Florida
Joined Mar 2005
806 Posts
Kent,

It needed no nose weight. Yes, the chord is 7". I began slowing it down and hoping for a bit of hot air, but only a touch. I will get higher launches and will have more time to scratch. I've got a 2000mah Nimh pack in the pod,plenty of juice, so once the launch gets better finding a thermal will also be easier.

Vern
Old Jan 07, 2012, 06:58 PM
Florida
Joined Mar 2005
806 Posts
Here's the other flight we did. Still trimming, but a video nonetheless. Flys like it was on rails. This wing will be fun to fly on thermal days.

Vern
Untitled (1 min 15 sec)
Old Jan 07, 2012, 08:39 PM
less is more
United States, CA, Marina
Joined Sep 2006
2,826 Posts
Well that does it!
I'm itchin for a skinny wing. That wing looks like a fine thermal ship. I hope we see a thermal video.

Kent
Knoll53 is online now Find More Posts by Knoll53
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: SW-7 Final flaps
Old Jan 08, 2012, 03:44 AM
Needs brain lubrication
Aachen, very western Germany
Joined Dec 2004
1,391 Posts
Elegance!

biber
biber is offline Find More Posts by biber
Old Jan 08, 2012, 09:15 AM
Florida
Joined Mar 2005
806 Posts
Thanks guys,

Here is the article I sent in to "B2 Streamlines" years ago. I wanted to do and all molded version of this model. Unfortunately, Carbon and other supplies became very expensive. Plus I also became allergic to epoxy. Molding anything is very time consuming, and this wing would have become pretty expensive. The market wasn't ready for such a product.

Vern
Old Jan 08, 2012, 12:36 PM
Deniable plausibility
Derbyshire, UK
Joined Aug 2008
2,315 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knoll53 View Post
Well that does it!
I'm itchin for a skinny wing. That wing looks like a fine thermal ship. I hope we see a thermal video.

Kent
Absolutely! What a truly elegant design. I particularly liked the moulded Nemesis.

S
Shedofdread is offline Find More Posts by Shedofdread
Old Jan 08, 2012, 02:46 PM
Kent, UK
Joined Nov 2004
869 Posts
I've managed to find a few more photos of them over the years. Did the new owner fly moulded version much Vern?
miniphase is offline Find More Posts by miniphase
Old Jan 08, 2012, 02:55 PM
Florida
Joined Mar 2005
806 Posts
Paul,

I lost some pictures due to computer breakdowns and moving to Florida. I don't know if it was flown much, it may have been sold to a 3rd party. But, it seems to be on a nice hill and hopefully flwn like crazy. The Bae hawk I bought back from a fella that must have gotten it from another. So many models ..... I sold at least 75 for the Florida move. Thanks for posting the pics.

Vern
Old Jan 08, 2012, 03:33 PM
Germany, Nordrhein-Westfalen, Nettetal
Joined Jun 2003
92 Posts
I guess a few of your models are
still remaining at milwaukee aera,
by my friend Mirko.
I was in Milwaukee for few month in 2001,
at concordia Mirko teached me slope soaring.

Wolfgang
quaxi is offline Find More Posts by quaxi
Last edited by quaxi; Jan 08, 2012 at 04:40 PM.
Old Jan 08, 2012, 03:47 PM
Florida
Joined Mar 2005
806 Posts
quaxi,

Yes, they sure do! Flying the lake michigan bluff was always fun. My favorite was Theresa, but it was a long drive. Mirko was the reason I learned slope soaring. What a slope enthusiast he has been over the years. No slopes in my area of Florida..... Arrrggg!

Vern
Old Jan 08, 2012, 03:59 PM
Kent, UK
Joined Nov 2004
869 Posts
The best photos I found were posted by Mirko here on RC Groups, they really fired my enthusiasm and I managed find a few more on Greg Smith's Slope Flyer site.

I think one of these shows your the Super Sparrow and you can just about see the wooden wing in the background in the other shot too.

That must have been one hell of a garage sale when you moved! Any idea what happened to the Swift?
miniphase is offline Find More Posts by miniphase
Old Jan 08, 2012, 04:18 PM
Florida
Joined Mar 2005
806 Posts
Paul,

Ah, yes the super sparrow.... that glider was very cool. I used to slope it and on thermal days get up really high and put it in a terminal velocity dive and try to break the wing.... it would be going so fast I could go almost get back to the same height I started at. Just screaming. I still have the mold for that fuse. Plus an original Sparrow fuse. Good times... good times.

Vern
Old Jan 09, 2012, 06:56 AM
Florida
Joined Mar 2005
806 Posts
Paul,

I sold the swift to another glider guy who had a big enough van to haul it around. Unfortunately I have never heard anything or if he even flew it. The garage sale was an epic event. Ducted fan jets, 1/3 scale models, gliders by the dozen, gas and nitro engines, electric motors, kits, boxes of plans, and 500 plastic model kits I collected. and all my wood shop tools.

Vern