Old Jan 03, 2012, 09:57 AM
Just call me crash for short
United States, OH, The Plains
Joined Jan 2011
1,688 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vernon Hunt View Post
Mark,

I've launched my skinny wings hundreds of times and it goes up like any sailplane. At the glider end of the bungee I use a bridle, that attaches to 2 hooks outboard on the wing just ahead of the CG. Works great.

Vern
Yes, That is like the rolling bobbin. It hooks to 2 hooks on the wing and has a ring or "bobbin" that is in the center that can slide at the Y junction. I first learned about the setup reviewing the plans for the Sparrow, an old timer forward swept flying wing. After a bit of a search I found the attached document on the subject. (just a single page)
Quick61 is offline Find More Posts by Quick61
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 03, 2012, 03:54 PM
Florida
Joined Mar 2005
806 Posts
Here's what I have on this sunny afternoon. Controls are working, high and low rates. Need to get differential working.One hook is shown. Very beefy setup. multiple bends to sandwich between 3/32" ply. Then set into wing with epoxy.

Vern
Vernon Hunt is offline Find More Posts by Vernon Hunt
Old Jan 03, 2012, 03:57 PM
Designing something...
United States, CA, Cameron Park
Joined Jan 2004
1,686 Posts
Very nice Vern! I definitely have a need to build a good (and light) thermal wing at some point.

Brian
cpdude is offline Find More Posts by cpdude
Old Jan 03, 2012, 04:04 PM
Florida
Joined Mar 2005
806 Posts
Brian,

Thanks! Yes, these are great flyers, and pretty easy to build.

Vern
Old Jan 03, 2012, 04:14 PM
less is more
United States, CA, Marina
Joined Sep 2006
2,826 Posts
Vern,

It looks bigger with you in the shot. Looks like a real floater now!

I've read about the wing mounted dual tow hooks but have not experienced it yet. From the looks of it, you'll get a typical very steep launch with a final release at low line force. I'd think that one hook releasing before the other could be "problematic". From what I read, it is not.

Also, once a line across the wing is established for the hooks, I'd think that you could place the symmetrically laid out hooks at any where along that line. I see that you have placed yours well forward of the spar rather than at the spar. Any reason for this besides personal preference?

thanks,
Kent
Knoll53 is offline Find More Posts by Knoll53
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: SW-7 Final flaps
Old Jan 03, 2012, 04:28 PM
Designing something...
United States, CA, Cameron Park
Joined Jan 2004
1,686 Posts
Quote:
...and pretty easy to build.
I'm sure it is with all of that foam.
cpdude is offline Find More Posts by cpdude
Old Jan 03, 2012, 04:36 PM
Florida
Joined Mar 2005
806 Posts
Kent,

Yes, it can be slowed very nicely, once in a thermal set the bank and spin yourself up. Even at this light weight it can moveout quickly and seek new hot air. I've had a tow line ring come off during tow and it just kept going up, I couldn't believe it. The hooks should be right up close to the leading edge. The CG is right behind the hook placement. You are correct in saying the hooks aren't connected to the spar. But, I've never had a hook pull out with where they are, sandwitched between 3/32" ply and liberally glued to the top skin. With a block of balsa on top filling the remainder of the space essentially gluing it to the bottom skin.

Vern
Old Jan 03, 2012, 04:44 PM
Joined Jan 2011
1,688 Posts
Quote:
Here's what I have on this sunny afternoon. Controls are working, high and low rates. Need to get differential working.One hook is shown. Very beefy setup. multiple bends to sandwich between 3/32" ply. Then set into wing with epoxy.

Vern
Great looking wing. Any "rule" you are following on placement of the tow hooks, or is the placement one of those "experience tells me to put it here or else!" kind of things?

Mark

(now waiting on video of the launch. )
Old Jan 03, 2012, 06:26 PM
Florida
Joined Mar 2005
806 Posts
Mark,

I think I explained hook placement in my answer to kent just above your question. the hooks are placed 1/2" ahead of the CG on the leading edge.

Vern
Old Jan 03, 2012, 06:35 PM
Joined Jan 2011
1,688 Posts
Quote:
Mark,

I think I explained hook placement in my answer to kent just above your question. the hooks are placed 1/2" ahead of the CG on the leading edge.

Vern
Yes, I got the where they were placed. I was wondering HOW that place was picked (as opposed to 1/4" forward of CG or 3/4" forward) Sorry for not being more clear about my question.

Mark
Old Jan 03, 2012, 06:51 PM
Florida
Joined Mar 2005
806 Posts
Mark,

Placement depends on how you feel about your tow. Do you like a sensitive tow, then put the hooks very close to the CG. Or, do you like a more easy to control tow, then place the hooks further forward of the CG. I found 1/2" ahead of the CG to be a comfortable tow especially right after launch. Not a severe pitch up so the glider doesn't stall.

Vern
Old Jan 03, 2012, 07:05 PM
internet gadfly
Colorado
Joined Aug 2006
2,165 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick61 View Post
Yes, I got the where they were placed. I was wondering HOW that place was picked (as opposed to 1/4" forward of CG or 3/4" forward) Sorry for not being more clear about my question.

Mark
Herk Stokely talked about tow-hook placement in the Tinamou thread .
nmasters is offline Find More Posts by nmasters
Old Jan 03, 2012, 10:17 PM
Joined Jan 2011
1,688 Posts
Thanks guys. That helps out allot. Never launched a wing on a high start before so the more info I can gather before I build and try to fly the better my chances of avoiding a rekit. Appreciate your info and patience. This is all new territory for me.

Mark
Old Jan 04, 2012, 03:45 AM
Joined Nov 2008
133 Posts
thermal wing

hello Mark,

I see what you mean now; I have no experience with it.

Maybe you can ask Tailsaw, he has a lot of exp. As far as I understand it, there is a great change of flutter.

http://thermik-board.de/nurfluegel-f...c7eb1cc4536695

Peter
Peter V is offline Find More Posts by Peter V
Old Jan 04, 2012, 09:13 AM
less is more
United States, CA, Marina
Joined Sep 2006
2,826 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick61 View Post
but I can't say that I have seen a TD type wing being launched by high start.
Mark
Ooooooooh, you've "never launched a wing on a high start before".

Have you ever used a high start before? If not, then the answer is very different. Things happen very quick when you launch and I'd suggest that you learn it in steps. That is start with a very gentle pull and push the nose down for control. Then work your way up to a steep high force launch. Tow hook placement is of course critical.

Knowing your experience with this would help us give you a more useful answer. Much has been posted about high starts in general in the Sailplane section.

Kent
Knoll53 is offline Find More Posts by Knoll53
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: SW-7 Final flaps