SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 20, 2012, 12:03 PM
Florida
Joined Mar 2005
806 Posts
Brian,

Yes, it was cut using a cnc machine, but its an extreme version of what I was saying about cutting wings with lots of twist. Cut several sections to make it easier.

Kent,

I'm talking about masonite with the hard pressed super smooth surface on both sides. it's very hard and works well. The edge is very hard and using 400 grit for the final burnish makes for smooth cutting. I use 5 ply 3/32" plywood and it works just fine. Easier to cut and finish.

Vern
Vernon Hunt is offline Find More Posts by Vernon Hunt
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 20, 2012, 02:52 PM
Canada
Joined Aug 2004
234 Posts
There is one issue that requires some pondering before cutting. This is how to deal with the wing sweep as far as the templates go. There are 2 ways to go about it, one with the sweep angle cut into the cores before hotwiring or with square ends. The root chord is measured along the angled cut so that for a 10" root chord the foam blank would need to be cut at 9.2" wide ( for no taper ). I find it easier to cut with square ends but the template would need to be shortened along its length. You would need an airfoil or CAD program to do this.
Spekd'out is offline Find More Posts by Spekd'out
Old Jan 20, 2012, 03:25 PM
Florida
Joined Mar 2005
806 Posts
Spekd'out,

I use photoshop, there's a tool that does proportional squishing or stretching. It's good for modifying airfoils for thickness as well.

Vern
Old Jan 22, 2012, 05:15 PM
Florida
Joined Mar 2005
806 Posts
Today we had time to go out flying. It was noon, and the buzzards were working low but it had just a little of boyant air. On the second launch I saw a liitle rise in the glider. So, I started a turn and it was definitely going up. The vid tells it all. The next 2 launches were into sinking air. We went home...... I could tell the air had changed. So, here it is, the glider thermals even in the light stuff.

Vern
Untitled (4 min 19 sec)
Old Jan 22, 2012, 05:30 PM
Designing something...
United States, CA, Cameron Park
Joined Jan 2004
1,692 Posts
Very nice Vern!
cpdude is offline Find More Posts by cpdude
Old Jan 22, 2012, 05:36 PM
Eden NY
Joined Sep 2001
540 Posts
Vern,
It looks great! The buzzard didn't look too happy with you in the area, funny how they act when you get in their 'air'. The hawks around here get aggressive sometimes, but the turkey vultures just amble away knowing where to find updrafts near by that you may be afraid to follow them to.

Also looking forward to seeing your Colibri flights whenever it's ready . Did you by chance get it out today as well?

Best Regards,
-Eric
ohmite is offline Find More Posts by ohmite
Old Jan 22, 2012, 06:46 PM
Florida
Joined Mar 2005
806 Posts
Eric,

The buzzards were unexpected, but I did try and follow for a bit and got a little extra bump. Colibri next weekend.

Vern
Old Jan 22, 2012, 08:27 PM
less is more
United States, CA, Marina
Joined Sep 2006
2,852 Posts
Nice one Vern. I thought for sure that you were going to take off when you got in line behind the vulture. When I'm flying, I'm always quick to point out that it's not really a fair competition between us and the turkey vultures. After all, they fly professionally.

I'm sure that you will spec this plane out soon.

Kent
Knoll53 is offline Find More Posts by Knoll53
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 27, 2012, 03:43 PM
Germany
Joined Nov 2005
339 Posts
Gratulation!

it's a graet plane, well flown. And You have a very interesting flying area... A street, some cable masts... lovely

Regards
Tijgerhaai is offline Find More Posts by Tijgerhaai
Old Jan 27, 2012, 04:49 PM
Florida
Joined Mar 2005
806 Posts
Tijgerhaai,

Yes, my close to home flying area is less than a picturesque.... but nobody bothers me. I want to take it to the local hang glider airport. Better thermals, and a big open space.

Thanks for the kind words,

Vern
Old Sep 20, 2012, 09:47 AM
USA, KY, Louisville
Joined Oct 2002
728 Posts
What happened to Vern's Wings?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vernon Hunt View Post
Paul,

I sold the swift to another glider guy who had a big enough van to haul it around. Unfortunately I have never heard anything or if he even flew it. The garage sale was an epic event. Ducted fan jets, 1/3 scale models, gliders by the dozen, gas and nitro engines, electric motors, kits, boxes of plans, and 500 plastic model kits I collected. and all my wood shop tools.

Vern
Hi Guys,
The full carbon molded Swift is now in the hands of the famous Larry Jolly who will complete it (Mirko lost the tiplets:-(, Mirko has flown the White Swift on the slope and it still lives (Vern understands that comment I'm sure :-)
I have two of the wings a Uforia and one other.
The Flying Rainbow was built by Lee in Appleton, very rare but I do have plans, designed as a proof of concept for his wing twist studies. Article was in RCSD (of course:-)
Gordysoar is offline Find More Posts by Gordysoar
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Gordysoar; Sep 20, 2012 at 09:49 AM. Reason: added stuff
Old Nov 13, 2012, 03:42 PM
Ochroma Lagopus Tekton
Blackstock, South Carolina
Joined Sep 2007
1,829 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knoll53 View Post
That's the cool thing about the Nurflügel forum. ANY wing only is welcomed. Tip rudders are fine. A little pod fuselage is fine. I use the German forums as an example of what is and is not a Nurflügel type plane.
I'd suggest the we error on the side of "anything goes" just to be sure we don't restrict imagination.

I'm subscribed!

Kent
So long as we don't stretch that to include Strykers, Fun Jets...
Fly Wheel is offline Find More Posts by Fly Wheel
Old Nov 13, 2012, 04:24 PM
USA, KY, Louisville
Joined Oct 2002
728 Posts
I flew Both this weekend plus one!

I flew both of Vern's designs this weekend on the slope. The Uphoria is very fast and agile, the big cranked plank thermal ship can move too. Its awesome to see that strange ">" cruising with the few hundred buzzards that were flying off the slope.
Launching is simple just shove them forward and they start flying immediately.

I got some video but don't have the cord to download it at the moment. I did put up video of the Balsa USA Force 1 powered ship converted for slope...its also very cool. Here's the video
FORCE 1 SLOPE VIDEO 9 12 (0 min 54 sec)

I can't wait to flat land thermal the big wing!
Gordy
Gordysoar is offline Find More Posts by Gordysoar
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Check out my YouTube Channel
Old Dec 04, 2012, 07:39 AM
Always looking for lift...
Germany, HE, Offenbach
Joined Oct 2003
379 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordysoar View Post
The Flying Rainbow was built by Lee in Appleton, very rare but I do have plans, designed as a proof of concept for his wing twist studies. Article was in RCSD (of course:-)
Hi Gordy,

The Rainbow looks great!

Sharing some more details about this beauty would be very appreciated ...

Thanks, Tom
sky_surfer_fra is offline Find More Posts by sky_surfer_fra
Old Dec 04, 2012, 07:55 PM
Red Merle ALES
United States, Mt, Helena
Joined Apr 2002
5,658 Posts
Dr Panknin Flying Rainbow

http://www.glide.net.au/flyingwing/rainbow.htm
http://www.rcsoaringdigest.com/OTW/o...in_Rainbow.pdf

You may also be interested in Penumbra:
http://www.rcsoaringdigest.com/OTW/o..._Penumbra5.pdf

Or Tinamou:
http://tailwindgliders.com/Files.html#Articles
PM me your email address for free plans. If you would like it resized please advise the span you'd like.

Curtis
Curtis Suter is online now Find More Posts by Curtis Suter
RCG Plus Member