Old Dec 26, 2011, 03:27 AM
Member #1
Australia, NSW, Picnic Point
Joined Aug 2011
6,907 Posts
Help!
Worst flying day ever!

Hi folks,

As the title eludes I had 2 brown outs in the exact same corner of the same park today leading to one write off and one repair job. My radjet is in the bin and my beautiful funcub is on the repair bench getting its nose re-moulded and re-attached.

I range tested my equipment prior to both flights and it worked fine, I actually got about 40m away till it glitched on low power.

It blows my mind as to what happened? The radjet had a HK orange rx in it which I thought could have been the problem but the funcub has a full range rx with satellite and telemetry.

Any ideas?
Teamsherman is offline Find More Posts by Teamsherman
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 26, 2011, 05:30 AM
gizzo don't tweet
Adelaide, Australia
Joined Jan 2008
3,122 Posts
Warning,smartarse alert!
Yep,switch to FrSky
Bad luck about the bad luck,seems the orange are typically very reliable.
gizzo is online now Find More Posts by gizzo
Old Dec 26, 2011, 05:40 AM
I took 25yr Break, New Tech!
Australia, QLD, Parkinson
Joined Mar 2011
133 Posts
I have had the same thing happen at our local park, multiple aircraft, different receivers, not a brown out but loss of signal...

The only thing was the amount of metal / bus stop near the glitch area.. could have been relections... could have been co-incidence.

Both receivers range checked ok before and after the incident..

Now 6 months since that happened, both receivers are cactus... one a Spektrum the other an orange.. the spektrum was easy, tap the circuit board and the thing turned into a quivering mess..

I would hate to see my fantastic funcub in for repair....
blackdog1 is offline Find More Posts by blackdog1
Old Dec 26, 2011, 05:55 AM
Is my CG correct?
Wollongong, Aus
Joined Sep 2009
5,096 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizzo View Post
Warning,smartarse alert!
Yep,switch to FrSky
Bad luck about the bad luck,seems the orange are typically very reliable.
My mouse hovered over the reply button, but I resisted

I was going to suggest the problem being spektrum also!
discostu956 is offline Find More Posts by discostu956
Old Dec 26, 2011, 10:44 AM
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Jun 2010
520 Posts
Thats what I was going to suggest might have been the problem. Seems to be the only time guys at our field lose signal they are invariably using a Spektrum set. Mind you they outnumber other sets by about 4 - 1 in the club. Personally I've been using the Futaba 6EX for nearly five years with both Futaba and Orange receivers and have never had a single problem. Thats what I recommend to new members and at $180 for a new one from HK, its a bargain.
Biggles1 is offline Find More Posts by Biggles1
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 26, 2011, 03:43 PM
de-registered abuser
Lake Macquarie, Aust.
Joined Dec 2002
14,264 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teamsherman View Post
Hi folks,

As the title eludes I had 2 brown outs in the exact same corner of the same park today leading to one write off and one repair job.

Maybe it isn't a brownout as such........We have a massive park down the end of the road that I have been flying for 10 years, and it has about a 30 meter cubed "bermuda triangle" of no fly area. Thing is, you can fly over it, even under it, behind it....just don't fly through it or you will get all sorts of bother. It's like a floating invisible Faraday cage that sits about 10 meters above the ground.

It's funny how it works, or doesn't as the case may be..... This was on 36 and didn't matter if the Rx was a cheap parkie, or a top line full size one.

btw, Frsky system fixed it completely
gouch is offline Find More Posts by gouch
Old Dec 26, 2011, 03:55 PM
Foam is where the heart is
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Aug 2010
2,283 Posts
I fly at the Ridge and hammo and you often hear guys talk about dead spots on various days. The thing they all seem to have in common is DSM2. Often, but not always, those orange Rx's as well.

Then there are others using the same equipment who never seem to experience these problems.

I switched to frsky and the only dead spot I now experience is the one between my brain and my thumbs. And it's a biggie.
brett.c is offline Find More Posts by brett.c
Old Dec 26, 2011, 05:33 PM
Member #1
Joined Aug 2011
6,907 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brett.c View Post
I fly at the Ridge and hammo and you often hear guys talk about dead spots on various days. The thing they all seem to have in common is DSM2. Often, but not always, those orange Rx's as well.

Then there are others using the same equipment who never seem to experience these problems.

I switched to frsky and the only dead spot I now experience is the one between my brain and my thumbs. And it's a biggie.
The funcub's system is running DSMX, not dsm2 so im really unsure as to what went wrong.

Ive never had a problem with my gear anywhere else but that one corner yesterday. Ive flown in all different types of parks in Canberra, flown a few different locations in Sydney and havent ever had a problem.

I think im just going to label that area a no fly zone from now on.

Im not going to write off my DX8 just yet, its been a great radio system thus far.
Old Dec 26, 2011, 06:29 PM
Extreme CNC Alloy EDF
Australia
Joined Mar 2006
11,764 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggles1 View Post
Personally I've been using the Futaba 6EX for nearly five years with both Futaba and Orange receivers and have never had a single problem. Thats what I recommend to new members and at $180 for a new one from HK, its a bargain.
I would not be recommending a non c-ticked import radio to club members! Especially not when you can buy the 6EX locally for $229.00 with a local warranty and c-tick.

Flying in a park, fair enough you are not covered anyway so use what you like, but in a club you need to make sure you are covered and there is no way you are going to be able to secure the lab tests needed to prove your HK Futaba complies, so why take the risk?? I bought mine from Col Taylor, plenty of dealers out there with great Futaba prices.
Extreme_RC is offline Find More Posts by Extreme_RC
Old Dec 26, 2011, 06:34 PM
Beating air into submission!
Joined Aug 2011
1,855 Posts
Hey Teamsherman, sorry to read about the loss of control issues. Are you running the latest firmware on your DX8 TX? there was a new version released just before Christmas.
GrahamWilson is offline Find More Posts by GrahamWilson
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 26, 2011, 10:03 PM
Is my CG correct?
Wollongong, Aus
Joined Sep 2009
5,096 Posts
The DX8 did go through some issues early on didn't it-not related to any of those issues??
Old Dec 27, 2011, 12:34 AM
Member #1
Joined Aug 2011
6,907 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrahamWilson View Post
Hey Teamsherman, sorry to read about the loss of control issues. Are you running the latest firmware on your DX8 TX? there was a new version released just before Christmas.
Hmmm, just before christmas ay? I'll check that out now.

Cheers,

Alan.
Old Dec 27, 2011, 01:24 AM
Bass Cannon kick it! "WUB WUB"
Australia, NSW, Sutherland
Joined Dec 2010
2,645 Posts
Sorry to hear Alan. My SuperCub had its whole face/body remoulded a few weeks before Xmas.

There is a reason I am now running a JR9X with a FrSky DJT module in it....
cloaked is offline Find More Posts by cloaked
Old Dec 27, 2011, 06:36 AM
Jets Suck (and blow)
Australia, QLD, Deception Bay
Joined Jan 2008
1,825 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cloaked View Post
Sorry to hear Alan. My SuperCub had its whole face/body remoulded a few weeks before Xmas.

There is a reason I am now running a JR9X with a FrSky DJT module in it....
OH yeah, me too Cloaked, JR/FrSky 9Xv2 rock. Actually mine has a C-Tick, so na na na na na naaaa, just so I have no arguments over legalities when pylon racing etc. No expert on the later Spectrums DSMX but spectrum generally don't have a good rep where FPV is concerned.

If you wish to transition to the dark side TS, I can vouch for my FrSky JR conversions/modules, one very happy FrSky user here. The ONLY issue I had was they don't work when you inadvertently turn off the TX mid flight DOH!!!!!!!

If anyone wants to read the FCC test reports for FrSky, fill ya boots.

https://fjallfoss.fcc.gov/oetcf/eas/...27XYFD8TD8R%27

https://fjallfoss.fcc.gov/oetcf/eas/...%27XYFV8FTR%27

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And for the 6EX

https://apps.fcc.gov/oetcf/eas/repor...ZPTMSS1-24G%27

Peril is offline Find More Posts by Peril
Last edited by Peril; Dec 27, 2011 at 07:18 AM.
Old Dec 27, 2011, 07:02 AM
Is my CG correct?
Wollongong, Aus
Joined Sep 2009
5,096 Posts
Would everyone stop using FrSky-the recievers are getting harder to find in stock!

Oh yeah, FrSky sucks. Dont use it