HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 26, 2012, 07:01 AM
Joined Jan 2010
39 Posts
My pleasure Don,
A good friend Joey Leach did the cad work and laser cutting, he's really the one we should be thanking. He does fantastic work and he is very conscientious standing behind everything he does. Anyone needing any laser work done can use him with confidence.
Earl advised of a couple of parts which may need a little tweaking so as soon as they are edited and recut the new parts will be sent out to everyone. I think it's only two parts so it won't hold you up and they should be finished up by the end of the weekend.
Thanks again'
Barry
vogel605 is offline Find More Posts by vogel605
Last edited by vogel605; Oct 26, 2012 at 08:52 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 27, 2012, 07:05 AM
Joined Feb 2009
417 Posts
Ok, figured I'd chime in here... Don & I have received the laser cut short kit from Barry. Very nice outstanding short kit, ( good job Barry" ). I ended up with 3 cowls. For the retracts, I'm using Electric retracts (P-51's), will modify them a bit for the scissor action. For the power plant. Have a NIB OS 320 Flat four Pegasus. Most likely won't start the Swift build until the Spartan Executive is finished. Just acquiring all the hardware I will want too use first. I have picked out a subject too model, as for now. Glenn
G McIntosh is offline Find More Posts by G McIntosh
Old Nov 05, 2012, 02:31 PM
Joined May 2005
3 Posts
Hi Guys,
Looks like many of you are well into your Swift builds. I noticed in Barry's posts that there may be a few tweaks that need to be made for some of the parts. If you find anything, please let me know and I will correct the plans and add an addendum. I never found anything from my father that described any changes to the original drawings, so I'm relying on you guys
I have had several of you ask me about offering a "speed" cowl version. Well after seeing Glenn's subject Swift above, I guess I should start making a plug. If I'm going to do that then I guess I should look at making a sliding canopy mold as well and vacuform some canopies. I don't have any info on dimension or shapes for these (cowl & canopy) and, in the absence of anything, would probably just go off of some detailed pictures. If anybody has anything then that I could use then send it along.
I'm really excited at the level of interest in the Swift and hopefully can build on all of your enthusiasm to offer more... and maybe even build one for myself
No promises on when I can get to the speed cowl and canopy, but with the weather turning colder here in Colorado, I should have more time to spend in the shop. -Erik
F3A-hole is offline Find More Posts by F3A-hole
Old Nov 05, 2012, 04:24 PM
Joined Feb 2009
417 Posts
Erik, glad you like the speed version's of the swift. Before I had ordered from you, I had researched a lot of photo's & stuff of the Globe Swift. Photo wise I have a lot of speed versions to choose from, No two are really alike. Somewhere in the main stream of things I lost your email address. Would be glad to forward all the photo's I have to you. but for the mean time I'm posting a few of them here... Glenn
Old Nov 05, 2012, 05:47 PM
I hate spray cans
United States, NM, Rio Rancho
Joined Jul 2007
964 Posts
Me I prefer the the smile of this freindly little plane
don olsen is offline Find More Posts by don olsen
Old Nov 18, 2012, 04:48 PM
Joined Dec 2009
94 Posts
I would like to get a set of plans, emailed erick but no reply.
flyinucrazy is offline Find More Posts by flyinucrazy
Old Nov 19, 2012, 08:57 AM
United States, TN, Nashville
Joined May 2009
125 Posts
Cowling Reference

Erik,

I own a Swift with a "speed cowl" and as Glenn stated, no two are exactly alike. SwiftWorks in Athens, TN (where the Swift Museum Foundation is located) made cowls and they were unique to the installation (depending on which engine was in the plane...180 Lycoming, 210 Continental, 200 Lycoming, 220 Franklin, etc.).

I have many pictures of the front, side or whatever you need if you need pics for scaling and shape.

Sam Swift
flyboycpa is offline Find More Posts by flyboycpa
Old Nov 19, 2012, 09:03 AM
Joined May 2009
125 Posts
Stock Swift cowling

Also, please note that the early GC-1A (85hp) Swifts have a much shorter cowling than the later GC-1B (125hp) Swifts, due to the longer engine (6 cylinders vs. 4 cylinders).

Also, the GC-1A has a different "smile" than the GC-1B's (as shown below)

Sam Swift
Old Nov 19, 2012, 09:17 AM
Joined May 2009
125 Posts
Landing gear differences

One other thing to note between stock vs. custom Swifts is the landing gear doors.

The stock Swift came with "half-length" gear doors, whereas many Swifters have the "Mustang" or "P-51" gear doors, which are longer in length.

Also, the many Swifters have installed hubcaps which look more like a P-51-style.

see below...
Old Nov 19, 2012, 09:34 AM
Joined May 2009
125 Posts
Canopy options

Lastly,

There is the stock Swift hatch, which allows the side windows to slide down and the top to open upwards (and forward).

Other options are the very popular sliding canopy (Nagel canopy) and the less-popular gull-wing canopy.

see below...
Old Nov 19, 2012, 09:37 AM
Joined May 2009
125 Posts
Stock windows

My last point to make (I think )

The Swifts built by Globe had the wrap-around rear window, whereas the Temco-built Swifts had the "new look" D-windows in the back.

see below...
Old Nov 19, 2012, 10:10 AM
AMA 910957
United States, WA, Hoodsport
Joined Mar 2008
5,056 Posts
Sam,

Thank you for the great info!

I will be going with the "smiling cowl" for my build. The plans also have the 'D' rear windows.

EJWash
EJWash1 is online now Find More Posts by EJWash1
Old Nov 19, 2012, 11:04 AM
United States, CO, Brighton
Joined Nov 2012
6 Posts
Wow, thanks for all the great info Sam! Looks like lot's of options to consider. As far as the speed cowl versions, I guess I would like to start with the one that seems to be common in Glenn's photo's (with the Nagel sliding canopy). Let me see how that goes and then I guess I could try a different style ... if there is enough interest (I need to make a new mold for the standard "smiley" cowl...pulled nearly 30 cowls so far and stating to wear it out ) I also want to make a fiberglass fuselage available at some point. I never realized that there were so many Swift lovers out there I don't think that I will do the GC-1A cowl that you show Sam. I have enough trouble getting the 1B grill to release from my mold! I also worry about the narrowness of the grill work, and to be honest I am a bit worried about the present cowlings...you guys let me know how it goes after you have had a chance to "dremel" out the grill slots. I'm worried that the narrowness of the material between the slots my be too weak...I had considered putting some carbon tow in there to help stiffen it up...you may want to do this as a precaution. Let me know.

I spent a bit of time looking through my dad's old documents and found a few things on the 1/3 scale GC-1B that he was designing...like a typical "modeler" he had 10 projects going on at the same time and never finished the drawings. I think that I am going to try to scale up the 1/4 version to 1/3 scale and make a cowl plug for that. With a 117" wingspan and 6" wheels I think it would be perfect for a DA-100 or DLA-111.

Flyinucrazy...I never received your email (I think you may have misspelled my name). I am sending you a PM.

-Erik
E_Richard is offline Find More Posts by E_Richard
Old Nov 19, 2012, 05:11 PM
Joined Feb 2009
417 Posts
Outstanding information indeed. Erik, as for the 1/3 scale @ 117'ws, ... Oh count me in, Would be an outstanding addition for my Spartan. Glenn
Old Nov 19, 2012, 05:35 PM
Joined Dec 2009
94 Posts
Erick, thanks for the reply. Tim
flyinucrazy is offline Find More Posts by flyinucrazy