SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 24, 2011, 09:53 PM
Joined Dec 2011
18 Posts
Help!
MX-400 best power system for an absolute new pilot

I have a problem, and blessing at the same time. Here is my dilemma. I was just given a MX-400 helicopter frame completely assembled, without any of the electronic system. I have two big problems.

One, I have only messed around with airhogs helicopters and an MCX2. I have some experience with STABLE helicopters and am heading my school with a quadcopter project. These are all automatically leveling aircraft, though. How the heck do I set this up to help me best learn to fly it? I know to set it up with a throttle correlating to the rotational speed in order to make the controls more familiar. I am NOT ready for 3D stunts. I want to learn how to fly it first.

Second, I have no power system for the helicopter. I am on a budget. Tight budget. I am looking for a quality power setup that is cheap. I am a BIG rc airplane person with a few nitro handbuilt models. This is what I have already:

Spectrum DX7 Airplane M2 Transmitter

AR7000 DSMX receiver

past that... I need help. I need a Gyro, battery, esc, motor, and the servos. What do you recommend for the lowest price? Any help I can get is much appreciated! Thanks!

P.S. I have been practicing flying this helicopter on RealFlight RC sim. I have made it to where I can takeoff, fly around for a little while, and land... most of the time. needless to say I have some work to do still
Suhler is offline Find More Posts by Suhler
Last edited by Suhler; Dec 25, 2011 at 09:44 AM. Reason: Update on Situation
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 25, 2011, 02:13 PM
Joined Dec 2011
18 Posts
Hello? anyone out there?
Old Dec 26, 2011, 10:35 AM
Joined Oct 2008
105 Posts
Do not fly it....!!!
Simulator time...!!!
Cheap money....!!!
DCT1 is offline Find More Posts by DCT1
Old Dec 26, 2011, 07:29 PM
Joined Dec 2011
18 Posts
I know sim time is important! I'm not flying it without an experienced pilot I know helping for the first few flights. I have a few hundred dollars available I don't want to spend ALL of. I need to know what other parts I need because my experienced friend does not have tome right now to help, and I want it ready to fly when he does have time. I fly 6 foot kit-built nitro planes, all my stupid solo flight experiences for a first flight are far behind me. No first flights without an experienced person watching!

That being said, what equipment do you recommend? Do you own a MX400?
Old Dec 26, 2011, 08:43 PM
Tampa,Fl
United States, FL, Tampa
Joined Jan 2007
1,493 Posts
I use to have a MX 400. So are you saying you need a Motor ? and Servos ? Tell me what exactly does the heli have. Based off what you said. It sounds like you have a Heli but needs a Motor,servo's and a Spektrum RX unless your planning on using the Ar 7000.

If I were you, I would go to a Local flying club and seek a Experienced Heli guy to help you set it up and then you can get on a buddy cord with him so you dont crash in two seconds.
Dale 813 is offline Find More Posts by Dale 813
Old Dec 26, 2011, 10:39 PM
Joined Dec 2011
18 Posts
Here is my situation:

It was given to me by one of the people my dad works with. He just found out his wife is having twins, and he doesn't have time or money to build it, much less fly the ones he has. I will be flying with him for the first few flights. I learned the hard way with my first of 2 self-designed hand-built nitro planes. He just doesn't have time to help me find a power system right now, and I want it ready to fly for when he does have time to help me. Also, i have a week before i go back to high school from break..... anything I can get done before then is HUGE.

It is an ARF: I have no electronics that come with it. I need a motor, ESC, battery and gyro. I am going to use the AR7000 with the heli, and I have already chosen Futaba S3107 servos. I am an airplane guy.... I don't know the good quality cheap brands for heli's. I also want really rugged electronics. The frame can be replaced, I've already ordered 4 sets of rotors, but the electronics, I.E. the components I don't already have, need to be strong.

As for the flight training, I have been hitting realflight every spare minute, i have an experienced pilot to help me, and plenty of hard learned lessons to help me make sure I get this right! thanks for the concern, though guess I didn't make that part clear