HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by MrE, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jan 29, 2012, 06:03 PM
Okanagan Falls. British columbia. Canada
Joined Nov 2006
366 Posts
comfortzone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Anderson View Post
These are very easy contests to run. Thom and I kind of Tag teamed the C.D. job. I think this was our 5th contest and it is cool seeing the pilot skills improve and the contests get more competitive. Some regulars were not able to attend this rescheduled event so next months should be bigger.

Mark
Mark, you are so right. We ran two contests last year, and the ease with which the new fliers slipped into a 'comfort zone' in the second one was quite noticeable. I think this is the beauty of the simplicity of ALES, new contestants soon find themselves laughing and relaxing even as they fly.I have had my say recently on here about ALES rules, and I am pleased to see that most of the people who have participated and/or CD'd an ALES contest agree that the present rules are OK. So lets KISS ! This promises to be a 'banner' year for ALES.My new OLY IIs is nearly ready to cover. Where are those thermals? Ken.
knormang is offline Find More Posts by knormang
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 29, 2012, 10:44 PM
Tacoma, WA
Joined Nov 2001
131 Posts
I drove down from Tacoma to attended Saturdays event as a spectator and ended up helping as a timer. I came home and got the parts coming to convert my Gentle Lady so I can fly at the next event. It was fun to see the great diversity of planes and pilots and all have a chance at a win. Thanks for getting this going in our area Mark and Thom.
ebourlet is offline Find More Posts by ebourlet
Old Jan 30, 2012, 04:11 PM
United States, WA, Olympia
Joined Oct 2009
324 Posts
ALES road trip

Hey Ken, It's only 6.5 hours between Olympia and Okanagan Falls. Mark and I drive farther than that to go slope soaring. When's your first contest?
>Thom
olythom is offline Find More Posts by olythom
Old Jan 30, 2012, 07:54 PM
Joined Nov 2006
366 Posts
contests

Quote:
Originally Posted by olythom View Post
Hey Ken, It's only 6.5 hours between Olympia and Okanagan Falls. Mark and I drive farther than that to go slope soaring. When's your first contest?
>Thom
Our first contest is on Sunday May 13th. If you are coming in any kind of camper, you can come over Saturday and park at my place in Okanagan Falls for the night. No overnight camping allowed at the park.We would be delighted to have you come and join us.We usually register from about 8am until 9 am. Then pilots briefing, first round after that.We do have a provincial campground about 3minutes away on the river.If you ever want to stay there let me know and I can book you a spot.I know the other fliers would be thrilled to have some of our American neighbours come and fly with them.How long a drive would that be for you?
Ken.
Old Jan 30, 2012, 07:58 PM
Joined Oct 2009
324 Posts
May 13th is Mother's Day. I'm pretty sure I'll be staying home for that Sunday.
>T
Old Jan 30, 2012, 08:11 PM
Joined Nov 2006
366 Posts
contests

Quote:
Originally Posted by olythom View Post
May 13th is Mother's Day. I'm pretty sure I'll be staying home for that Sunday.
>T
Thom, No problem. We are having contests on the second Sunday of every month May thro' Oct.Results go to the ALES League.Ken
Old Jan 30, 2012, 09:17 PM
Joined Nov 2006
366 Posts
International ALES

Olythom, I sure hope we can get a Northwest Ales International going sometime this year, and develop it into an annual event to be alternately in the US and Canada?The Canadians from the Ont. area area look like being regulars at the Polecat event already.I shall do my best to try and get a few of us over to one of your events this year, so please keep in touch.Ken.
Old Jan 31, 2012, 02:16 PM
Joined Oct 2009
324 Posts
Our club (TCMAA) has set aside the weekend of September 15/16 as our "Big", "Regional" ALeS contest. I plan on advertising it around the area and trying to make this an event that will draw flyers from a wider region. I am hoping to put on two one-day contests with raffles, BBQ, camping, etc.

We'll be working with other clubs in the area and have at least one event per month planned for the entire year (through November).

Several of our members have already started to talk about 'road trips' to compete at other venues. Your location would be great fun. I've been there for soccer tournaments with my boys.
>T
Old Jan 31, 2012, 05:57 PM
Joined Nov 2006
366 Posts
Contests

Oly, that Sept two day event looks good. I shall talk it up with the gang and maybe we can bring 3 or 4 Canucks to your ALES event.Send me the dates of your monthly events. You never know?Ken.
Old Jan 31, 2012, 10:48 PM
MrE
United States, WA, Gig Harbor
Joined Aug 2007
2,825 Posts
Wow! This is exciting! It looks to me like we are going to have a great year for ALES in our region. Cant wait!
MrE is online now Find More Posts by MrE
Old Jan 31, 2012, 11:42 PM
Joined Oct 2009
324 Posts
TCMAA 2012 ALeS calendar

2/18, 3/17, 4/14, 5/12, 6/16, 7/14 (site to be determined), 8/11, 9/15-16 (regional?), 10/13, 11/17..........

Some of these dates will probably be hosted by other clubs in the region. The July event will definitely have to held elsewhere as our field is closed that weekend.

These dates should show up on the AlesLeague website soon.
Old Feb 01, 2012, 03:08 PM
Joined Nov 2006
366 Posts
July

Oly, as you will not have field for July maybe you could make it to our July 8th contest.We could make that the first NW. ALES International ?We would have trophies for that one then, and make it one of our major events.We had ten entries both times last year, we expect a few more local guys this year and if some of our American neighbours came we could have a pretty fair turnout ?Think about it anyway. We have to make a start somewhere !. Ken.
Old Feb 05, 2012, 03:10 AM
MrE
United States, WA, Gig Harbor
Joined Aug 2007
2,825 Posts
So far the TCMAA team guys are leading the field nationaly in the ALES league scoring

Of course, they are almost the only ones posting so far...

Its still a great way to start off the new year!

Well done on a great start!

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...EE&output=html
MrE is online now Find More Posts by MrE
Old Feb 12, 2012, 11:52 AM
United States, AZ, Arizona City
Joined Sep 2001
5,001 Posts
Thom,

Just a suggestion: Look at the surrounding club schedules for date conflicts with hlg and TD events, as well as ALES dates.

In the SouthWest, many of the hlg and TD flyers are also flying ALES. I know I will be doing so when I get back to Olympia. It's a pain to resolve conflicts, but if possible it's probably worth it. I don't think the PSSF hlg dates are set, contact Russ McMillian for info, but I know that the Seattle Area Soaring Society has their contest schedules posted on their website, and I suspect that the Portland folks have as well.

For two day events, you certainly might draw from those clubs, but not if there is a conflict with dates they have established.

See you in the spring with my Oracle.

Gary
GaryO is offline Find More Posts by GaryO
Old Feb 13, 2012, 09:44 PM
United States, WA, Rochester
Joined Feb 2005
13 Posts
Hi Gary. You are correct. Scheduling is a challenge. We built this season's schedule based on the info that was available at the time. We felt some urgency to get a schedule posted so maybe other clubs could see it and work around it if there is enough interest.

Have you flown in any of the events down there in the "thermal zone"? I can tell you that this time of year can be a challenge for locating thermal activity up here but we manage to find enough to have fun.

Maybe our schedule will even influence your return date???
Thom Martin is offline Find More Posts by Thom Martin