Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
This thread is privately moderated by MrE, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Dec 27, 2011, 12:17 PM
United States, WA, Tumwater
Joined May 2010
257 Posts
Yes 11:00 pilots meeting. Thurston County Miniature Aircraft Association field. About 30 minutes south of Olympia.

Mark
Mark Anderson is offline Find More Posts by Mark Anderson
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 28, 2011, 11:24 PM
MrE
United States, WA, Gig Harbor
Joined Aug 2007
2,005 Posts
Ah ha! We are a sticky!
MrE is online now Find More Posts by MrE
Old Jan 07, 2012, 06:11 PM
Joined Oct 2011
26 Posts
I would like to observe your flying on Jan 14th. I am in Oregon can you post directions or a link to where the event is. Thank you, Dave
NoResults is offline Find More Posts by NoResults
Old Jan 07, 2012, 06:28 PM
MrE
United States, WA, Gig Harbor
Joined Aug 2007
2,005 Posts
Hi Dave, If you Google "mima mounds washington", the first link has a map.

http://www.wta.org/go-hiking/hikes/mima-mounds

The flying field is on the west side of the park off of Marksman Rd.. That will get you in the ball park. I'll let one of the club members give you detailed directions - I dont know the streets/landmarks that well.

Bring a plane! You can watch and fly. Thats the best way to get a real feel for the way it goes
MrE is online now Find More Posts by MrE
Old Jan 08, 2012, 09:02 AM
Joined May 2010
257 Posts
1. Go no onto I-5 towards Olympia / Seattle - 12.3 mi.
2. At exit 95, turn RIGHT onto exit ramp towards Wa-121 / Littlerock / Maytown -
0.3 mi.
3. Turn LEFT (West) onto SR-121 [Maytown Rd SW] at bottom of the exit ramp,
back under the freeway. - 0.2 mi.
4. Turn RIGHT (North) onto Maytown Rd SW, go past Farmboy restruant. Follow
road to stop sign at Littlerock Elementary. - 2.8 mi.
5. Go straight .01 mi. the road turns to left, but keep STRAIGHT past the Chevron
Station onto 128th Ave (SW) to the top of the hill - 0.8 mi.
6. Keep STRAIGHT past the Chevron Station onto 128th Ave (SW) to the top of the
hill - 0.8 mi.
7. Turn LEFT (South) onto Mima Rd SW - 1.3 mi.
8. Turn RIGHT (West) onto Bordeaux Rd SW (first road to the right) - 0.7 mi.
9. Turn RIGHT (North) onto Marksman St SW (first road to the right) - 1.3 mi.
10. Follow Marksman until you see a yellow mobile home, turn right onto gravel road
in RV area of the Evergreen Sportsman gun club(almost turns back onto itself).
11. Follow the road to the "the brush", there will be a cable gate that is 'open'. As a
courtesy, please sign our guest book located in the green shelter just inside the
gated area.
12. Follow the gravel road along our runway and observe 10 mph speed limit. Please
be cautious and watch for landing/departing aircraft.
13. The parking lot/pit area is at the end o f this road.
Old Jan 11, 2012, 11:36 PM
Joined May 2010
257 Posts
We had a club meeting tonight and set the entry fee for our monthly contest at $5.00 including a hot dog and drink at noon. We are finalizing the schedule, but most will be the Saturday after our meeting which is the second Wednesday of the month. We are also looking at putting on a bigger contest later in the year. There is also some talk within the Puget Sound Silent fliers about getting involved.

Mark
Old Jan 12, 2012, 05:45 AM
Soaring Circuits
Coopersburg, PA
Joined Sep 2001
1,931 Posts
Guys,

Once you get your schedule firmed up, send it into alesleague@gmail.com and we'll get you posted on the league website.

Randy
rcbrust is offline Find More Posts by rcbrust
Old Jan 12, 2012, 07:33 PM
Congress, AZ
Joined Sep 2001
4,758 Posts
Guys,

There is a proposal for the creation of a ALES forum here:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1572466

Let's get our own forum so that threads don't get buried. Spread the word.

We need 50 yes votes, but the more the better.

Gary
GaryO is offline Find More Posts by GaryO
Old Jan 14, 2012, 02:26 PM
United States, WA, Rochester
Joined Feb 2005
13 Posts
Tcmaa event rescheduled

This mornings event was rained/blown out. We have rescheduled for January 28th. Pilots meeting at 1100.
Thom
Thom Martin is offline Find More Posts by Thom Martin
Old Jan 23, 2012, 10:04 PM
Congress, AZ
Joined Sep 2001
4,758 Posts
Thom,

It's going to be interesting how you do the landing points No diving in the snow? With the rain coming, it will probably be diving in the mud.

Lots of luck from AZ.

Gary
Old Jan 24, 2012, 08:52 PM
Congress, AZ
Joined Sep 2001
4,758 Posts
The RCGroup administrator has published a formal poll on establishing the ALES forum.
The results of this poll will determine whether it happens or not.

Please go to : http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1580604
and express your opinion. Note that you must vote "yes or no" in the poll at the top of the thread, not just post.

Thanks,

Gary
Old Jan 29, 2012, 12:56 AM
United States, WA, Rochester
Joined Feb 2005
13 Posts
Today’s TCMAA contest in Olympia, WA went very well. This was the do-over for the event that was cancelled two weeks ago. The day started out cold and breezy but settled into cold, calm, overcast conditions later and the competition got hot. 14 flyers from 4 different clubs in the Northwest came out to fly. At the end of the day, only 40 points separated the top 4 finishers. Those finishers and their planes were;
1st – James Henderson – bone stock Radian
2nd – Tom Gallagher – Spectra
3rd – Thom Martin – Pegasus
4th – Sherrell Steinhiller – AVA

Our field was made up of 8 foam planes, 7 built-up planes, and one sheeted foam/fiberglass/warmliner thingy.

Thanks to those who came out to help and those who came out to fly. Hope to see you next time.
>Thom
Thom Martin is offline Find More Posts by Thom Martin
Old Jan 29, 2012, 01:06 AM
Okanagan Falls. British columbia. Canada
Joined Nov 2006
366 Posts
Congratulations

Fourteen fliers for your first contest and 4 clubs represented was a fantastic first ALES event. Well done. How did the CD job go?I am delighted to see you get things going out there. Ken.
knormang is offline Find More Posts by knormang
Old Jan 29, 2012, 02:25 AM
Pencil grip
Olympia, WA
Joined Feb 2008
1,219 Posts
This was my first ALES contest, and I'm flying my first powered glider, which I maidened yesterday after a hasty build. I had a blast despite shearing my motor off on the second landing. Thanks to thin CA, I managed to sneak in three more decent flights. Looking forward to dialing in the Steven's Aeromodel Helium and becoming at least marginally competitive. I will admit that DLG contests still seem more challenging because of the necessary strategic thinking, athletic dimension, and the sheer number of times pilots make physical contact with the glider during heats (ladders, etc. vs. up/down in ALES) but ALES has the altitude and handicapping / field leveling appeal that's missing in DLG. In other words, I'll never compete with 20 year old Norwegians hand launching 200+ feet, but I can imagine parking my Helium on a dime in 5:59. I got within 3 feet today at 6:02, so there's hope.

Thanks organizers for a truly fun day!

-Matt
hoffboy is offline Find More Posts by hoffboy
Old Jan 29, 2012, 10:35 AM
Joined May 2010
257 Posts
These are very easy contests to run. Thom and I kind of Tag teamed the C.D. job. I think this was our 5th contest and it is cool seeing the pilot skills improve and the contests get more competitive. Some regulars were not able to attend this rescheduled event so next months should be bigger.

Mark