HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by MrE, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Oct 14, 2012, 11:28 AM
United States, WA, Olympia
Joined Oct 2009
320 Posts
Tcmaa's Sunday event is cancelled. Rain in the forecast and high winds have already started here in Rochester.
olythom is offline Find More Posts by olythom
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 14, 2012, 02:25 PM
MrE
United States, WA, Gig Harbor
Joined Aug 2007
2,708 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by knormang View Post
Just to let our neighbors know that they are welcome to attend any of our events(AMA membership a must). We are only 30 min north of Oroville in Washington State. . You will need a CAM in your glider, or a Sky Limiter ( I have one loaner).Entry Fee $10.00. Medals to third place. Bring your own Lunch, although we fly from a park right in OK Falls, mainstreet is just 4 blocks away, for sandwiches or pizzas etc.Our last ALES contest is Sunday next ,21st of Oct.Pilot briefing 9.30 am. fly immediately afterwards. We usually get in 5 rounds before2pm,so you get plenty of experience, and can still drive home in daylight !We post all our results to the ALES League, so you can be part of it without the necessity to travel to the coast to find a contest!Come on up if you live in Eastern Wash. you are not far away. We shall be holding monthly contests next year commencing in May, so if you are a glider enthusiast or are thinking of having a go at ALES , get a model ready this winter,we would be delighted to have you join us in this fun contest.We run only one class-Open- "Run what you brung" Moldie, woodie or foamie!Phone me , Ken Gregory at 250-497-6262.
Ken, I cant make it up next week but I've got you guys on my To-Do list for next spring
MrE is online now Find More Posts by MrE
Old Oct 14, 2012, 02:38 PM
Okanagan Falls. British columbia. Canada
Joined Nov 2006
366 Posts
Mr E

Larry, you are a long way from us. I never thought that you would consider coming over. Very nice of you to think of us. Still waiting for some 4 ft. spar material for my Mirage. I shall have it for next year. Ken.
knormang is offline Find More Posts by knormang
Old Nov 17, 2012, 08:41 PM
Joined Oct 2009
320 Posts
TCMAA is going to try again to squeeze in one last event. We have selected Saturday, Dec 1st and will meet at 1000.

Rain date in case of rotten weather on Saturday will be the following day.
Hope to see everyone there. We'd love to get a big crowd since this will be the last chance to move up in the national rankings. Come on out!!
Thom
Old Nov 18, 2012, 12:11 AM
MrE
Joined Aug 2007
2,708 Posts
I plan to be there Thom and two of my fellow club members are planning to come along.

Got my long johns ready to go

By the way, I'll be bringing along a new secrete weapon to try out. If you thought my Mirage was a floater before, just wait till you see this version
Old Nov 19, 2012, 01:30 PM
Joined Oct 2009
320 Posts
With our winter cloud cover settling in, a 'super floater' might be just the trick. See ya there on the 1st. >T
Old Dec 05, 2012, 11:46 PM
Joined Oct 2009
320 Posts
Weather has been tough on our schedule of late but we're trying again to squeeze one last ales into 2012.

Tcmaa has rescheduled the earlier (cancelled) event for Saturday, Dec 8 at 10:00 am. Bring warm clothes and gloves / handwarmers of you've got em. It looks like it will be cold.. Bring afriend or two as well. We need lots of bodies out there if we're going to move up in the natl rankings.
See ya there.
Thom
Old Dec 16, 2012, 09:27 PM
Joined Oct 2009
320 Posts
Congrats on your victory Larry ! Glad we could squeeze one last contest in before the end of the year.... Too bad your buddies didn't make it down.
Old Dec 17, 2012, 01:10 AM
MrE
Joined Aug 2007
2,708 Posts
Thanks Thom! I think they just chickened out - afraid of a little frost bite

And thanks for the nifty trophy - and the points!

If you guys hadnt let me win, I wouldnt have made it into the top ten this year

By the way - a big congrats to the TCMAA club for having 4 pilots place in the top ten this year!!! Way to go guys!
Old Dec 17, 2012, 05:14 PM
Okanagan Falls. British columbia. Canada
Joined Nov 2006
366 Posts
Congratulations, Larry, on your 10th place finish in the ALES League.I like the pod and boom Mirage. I am now back at the building board and starting on my Mirage wing. Just breezed through your build thread again.Do you still think the spoilers need 5 bays or are 4 bays enough?Ken.
knormang is offline Find More Posts by knormang
Old Dec 17, 2012, 10:46 PM
MrE
Joined Aug 2007
2,708 Posts
4 bays wide works just fine most of the time - but my next Mirage will have 5 bays on each side.

On two different occasions Ive gotten into lift too strong for the 4 bay spoilers to get me down fast enough. I was forced to spiral down. Its hard to judge air speed and exactly whats going on when your specked out and trying to spin the model.

I want the spoilers to slow me enough so I can dive much steeper than I can now without over speeding.

I think they will also help with landing accuracy if you have them on a slider. Wider spoilers will allow you to approach faster and wait longer to bleed off your speed. I think that will help on windy days especially.
Old Jan 10, 2013, 07:58 PM
Joined Oct 2009
320 Posts
TCMAA fires up 2013

Our first contest of the year is set for Sunday, January 27!!!!

Pilots' meeting at 1030. First round starts at 1100. A (nice) hot lunch will be served and we'll have the heater running in the clubhouse. Landing fee is $5.00.
Thom
Old Jan 10, 2013, 10:51 PM
MrE
Joined Aug 2007
2,708 Posts
Darn! Im going to be out of town for that one. I'll likely be somewhere between Texas and So Cal trying not to get too sunburned. You guys are free to feel sorry for me if you want

Should be back for the Feb contest..... with a newer secret weapon <insert evil laugh here>

Old Jan 17, 2013, 03:13 PM
Joined Oct 2009
320 Posts
A preliminary 2013 TCMAA schedule has been set. I will call it preliminary in the fact that we may share dates with some other local clubs and it may turn out that one or more of these events could be put on at other club sites. We're shooting for one event per month. Mark these on your calendars and come fly.
Sunday - Jan 27
Sunday - Feb 24
Sunday -Mar 24
Sunday - Apr 28
Sunday - May 26
Sunday - Jun 23
July - To Be Determined
Saturday - Aug 17
Sunday - Sep 29
Sunday - Oct 27
Saturday - Nov 9
Sunday - Dec 8
See ya at the field.
Thom
Old Feb 02, 2013, 10:58 PM
Joined Oct 2009
320 Posts
Last Sunday was a rainout at TCMAA but tomorrow looks good for the reschedule. We are starting at 1000 in order to get everyone home to watch the game. A hot lunch will be served.
Thom