HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by MrE, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Dec 24, 2011, 01:58 PM
MrE
United States, WA, Gig Harbor
Joined Aug 2007
1,693 Posts
Contest
Pacific Northwest ALES contests 2014

Im shamelessly copying this thread idea from Hand launch guys who have been running a thread like this for a while now.

The idea is to hopefully have one place where clubs and groups from BC, Canada through Washington state and Oregon can post their ALES contests for the up-coming year.

The basic idea being to help promote ALES and help get it going strongly in this area.

To the best of my knowledge, there is only one club that has been holding regular ALES events in our area. Id like to see many more this coming year.

One of the clubs I belong to, EFLAPS in Port Orchard, is planning to hold our first ALES contest sometime this spring. We haven't picked a date yet, but Im thinking it will be late March.

So, any of you ALES flyers or potential ALES flyers that are planning to hold a contest in 2012, post the dates here and hopefully you can draw more flyers to attend than just the ones in your club.

If your club is like ours, only a few are on the band wagon so far. Getting flyers from other clubs to attend will make it much more fun.

Im looking forward to flying with many new friends this coming year!

The links in the following list will take you to the originating post. You can contact the OP for additional info, directions, etc.

Schedule for 2014:

Quote:
TCMAA contests for 2014....
Sun Jan 26th
Sun Feb 23rd
Sat Mar 29th
Sun Apr 27th
Sun May 25th
Sat Jun 28th
Sun Jul 27th
Sat Aug 30th
Sat Sep 20th
Sun Oct 26th
Sat Nov 8th
Sat Dec 13th
Pilots meetings at 10am... First flights to follow as quickly as conditions allow.
See ya there.
Thom

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=235

Quote:
Here is the PASS schedule.
This is open to anyone with a valid AMA license.
The flying site location(s) are unknown at this point as we are negotiating with a sod farmer. All will be in the Woodburn area ~45 mi. south of Portland
5M landing circles and 150M limiters

Sat Mar 22nd 9:00
Sun Apr 13th 9:00
Sun May 11th 9:00
Sun June 22nd 9:00
Sat July 26th 9:00
Sat/Sun Sept 6th/7th 9:00 PASS ALES Championships (open to all)
Sun Oct 5th 9:00

Please let me know if you have any questions.
I'll give an update as to the sites once we know it.
I'll also send out a flyer at that time.

Lift,
- Bob -

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=240

The PASS contest scheduled for March 15th has been cancelled and rescheduled for the 22nd. We have a new field this year - all sod; very near to where we flew last year. I'll be putting together a flyer and will send it out once it is completed later this week.

Up-dated schedule:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=292

Quote:
The Spokane club (IEQF) will host 2, 2 day contest this year. The first is scheduled for June 21 - 22 located at Paradise field and the second is scheduled for August 2 - 3 located in Pasco WA.

5 meter landing lines and 200M limit.

More details to follow.

Thanks, Jim

Here's a link to the first event with all the event details. This event is limited to the first 35 pilots.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2126104

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=288
MrE is online now Find More Posts by MrE
Last edited by MrE; Mar 18, 2014 at 06:22 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 24, 2011, 02:22 PM
Will fly for food
Bellevue WA,
Joined Dec 2003
6,487 Posts
How does the ALES contst work? What are the tasks and how do you win? I understand the limited electric launch but is it MOM or open window? Is there a landing task?
davidjensen is offline Find More Posts by davidjensen
Old Dec 24, 2011, 04:05 PM
United States, WA, Tumwater
Joined May 2010
235 Posts
Dave
It is MOM. And there is a landing task.
Our club has had four contests in Littlerock (Just south of Olympia).
We have used a 10 second launch window followed by an altitude/time limited motor run. Each plane is equiped with a CAM unit. We have kept the time task within everyones ability to keep it fun. We are all new to gliders. The landing is a 10 meter tape 5 points per meter.
So far we have been having a ball learning some new skills. We run a contest every month. Now that we have a few under our belt we will be publisizing them more. I think this thread is a great idea. Thanks Larry!

Mark
Mark Anderson is offline Find More Posts by Mark Anderson
Old Dec 24, 2011, 04:42 PM
Okanagan Falls. British columbia. Canada
Joined Nov 2006
366 Posts
Ales

We are not in the real Pacific N.W., but we are active in ALES. We held two contests last year with about 10 entrants each time. We shall be holding monthly contests from May to Oct. Next year, and we would welcome any modelers from the Interior of Wa. State.Our field is in the village of Okanagan Falls, B.C. It is right in the village, close to cafes, stores etc.My club is the Penticton Model Aviation Club, and I would be glad to answer any enqiries about our events.Ken Gregory.
knormang is offline Find More Posts by knormang
Old Dec 24, 2011, 05:36 PM
MrE
Joined Aug 2007
1,693 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidjensen View Post
How does the ALES contst work? What are the tasks and how do you win? I understand the limited electric launch but is it MOM or open window? Is there a landing task?
Mark answered your questions pretty well. For more details, proposed rules, video links to mass launches and landings, etc, here is a long thread discussing the contest format and various other details.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1330889

The altitude limiting devices we are using are the CAM units sold by Soaring Circuits.

http://www.soaringcircuits.com/

That device seems to be the preferred one here in the US. Thats the one our club is also going to use. We plan to order several at the same time. You can get a discount for group orders.

There is also a Yahoo group with lots of info, spread sheets on power systems, flight profiles and lots more.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/RCALES/

I attended my first contest at Marks club back in October and was instantly hooked. Its a blast!

Our EFLAPS club is located in Port Orchard, but we will probably hold the contests at a private field in Gig Harbor. We need to clear that with the property owners first though.

Larry
Last edited by MrE; Dec 25, 2011 at 12:05 AM.
Old Dec 24, 2011, 05:38 PM
MrE
Joined Aug 2007
1,693 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by knormang View Post
We are not in the real Pacific N.W., but we are active in ALES. We held two contests last year with about 10 entrants each time. We shall be holding monthly contests from May to Oct. Next year, and we would welcome any modelers from the Interior of Wa. State.Our field is in the village of Okanagan Falls, B.C. It is right in the village, close to cafes, stores etc.My club is the Penticton Model Aviation Club, and I would be glad to answer any enqiries about our events.Ken Gregory.
Thanks for the invite Ken! Thats a long drive for me, but you never can tell
Old Dec 24, 2011, 09:42 PM
Okanagan Falls. British columbia. Canada
Joined Nov 2006
366 Posts
Ales

We are hoping that there may be somebody down around Wenatchee or Moses Lake who might be interested in soaring. Th closest American group at present doing ALES, is in Montana. That is also a looooooong drive !. Ken.
knormang is offline Find More Posts by knormang
Old Dec 25, 2011, 10:37 AM
United States, WA, Tumwater
Joined May 2010
235 Posts
How do we get this as a sticky so it stays near the top?

Mark
Mark Anderson is offline Find More Posts by Mark Anderson
Old Dec 26, 2011, 08:39 PM
Congress, AZ
Joined Sep 2001
4,505 Posts
Should be some interested folks in Spokane and Pasco, WA.

There are two versions of the CAM available, 100, 150, 200 and 50, 100, 200. Anyone have any recommendations?

Gary
GaryO is offline Find More Posts by GaryO
Old Dec 26, 2011, 10:02 PM
Lift is good
Olympic Penninsula, WA
Joined Dec 2001
684 Posts

Any body have a link to ALES contest schedules in the NW?
Rayven is offline Find More Posts by Rayven
Old Dec 26, 2011, 10:28 PM
MrE
Joined Aug 2007
1,693 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryO View Post
Should be some interested folks in Spokane and Pasco, WA.

There are two versions of the CAM available, 100, 150, 200 and 50, 100, 200. Anyone have any recommendations?

Gary
I think it depends on how you want to use if for practice mainly.

So far as I know virtually all contests are being held at the 200 meter altitude setting, so the lower settings are for use however you would like. The 50 or 100 meter settings would be good for landing practice for example.

of course, the contest CD can always set the altitude for any given contest to what ever altitude is desired. Im not sure why there would be the difference in the lower level settings though.
Old Dec 26, 2011, 10:35 PM
MrE
Joined Aug 2007
1,693 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayven View Post
Any body have a link to ALES contest schedules in the NW?
You are in the right place to get that information - but so far there isnt any firm info to give you

My club - EFLAPS - will be meeting late Jan to set a date for our first contest. I will post that as soon as we have it firmed up. Im guessing late march, but we may start earlier.

The TCMAA guys are having one every month so far, weather be damned! Im sure Mark will be posting a date as soon as they pick one for January.

They have been pretty lucky weather wise so far. The Dec contest weather was outstanding for Dec this time of year. Sunny, dry, light winds and not freezing cold!
Old Dec 26, 2011, 10:40 PM
MrE
Joined Aug 2007
1,693 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Anderson View Post
How do we get this as a sticky so it stays near the top?

Mark
I have no idea Mark. Maybe ask a mod? Dont know how to do that either

Edit: Figured it out. Report a post in the thread and one of the options is to ask for it to be "stickied" I did that, so lets see if it works
Old Dec 27, 2011, 12:03 AM
United States, WA, Olympia
Joined Oct 2009
266 Posts
TCMAA's January ALeS contest

TCMAA in Littlerock (near Olympia, WA) is planning to run an event on January 14. Weather is obviously a factor but, as Larry said, we've been very lucky so far. Open to all AMA members. We have 'loaner' CAM units available if they are needed.
>Thom
olythom is offline Find More Posts by olythom
Old Dec 27, 2011, 01:17 AM
MrE
Joined Aug 2007
1,693 Posts
Our first event! Thanks Thom

You guys still planning to start about 11AM?