SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
This thread is privately moderated by bsbauman, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Dec 24, 2011, 11:46 AM
DFC~ We Do Flyin' Right
USA, GA, Atlanta
Joined Nov 2008
14,495 Posts
Discussion
Burned Retina pics

Some pics my buddy James took as the sun was going down:
bsbauman is offline Find More Posts by bsbauman
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Snuggles Speaks
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 24, 2011, 09:38 PM
Got the Slickness
Seattle, WA
Joined Jul 2010
2,521 Posts
Wow... what a great looking night flyer!

What is it and how did you put it together?

Got any video?
gabrielisrael is offline Find More Posts by gabrielisrael
Old Dec 25, 2011, 01:06 AM
DFC~ We Do Flyin' Right
USA, GA, Atlanta
Joined Nov 2008
14,495 Posts
Here is the main thread: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...0#post20006517

I have some vid in there of the plane before covering, I do not have any flying vids yet. When I do, I will be adding them to that thread.

If I did a decent job, the thread should tell the whole story and process. If I did not do a good job... well, give me a break it is my first Build Log!

Let me know if you have any more questions or if you need any help with your build; it has been quite enjoyable and I learned much about modeling as well. This was my first night flyer and the first airframe I have ever covered.

Keep me posted on what you decide to do, I hope i have inspired some new ideas!

Happy Holidays,
Bradley B
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 26, 2012, 12:30 PM
This is my Nemesis....
Canada, SK, Saskatoon
Joined Jan 2011
2,008 Posts
Thats amazing Brad!
ViperZ is offline Find More Posts by ViperZ
Old Feb 27, 2012, 10:00 AM
DFC~ We Do Flyin' Right
USA, GA, Atlanta
Joined Nov 2008
14,495 Posts
Thanks ViperZ! I had fun with it...

I did do some more work to it last week, and completely recovered one wing as it had experienced some yellowish/greenish discoloration. Now that I am satisfied with the covering job, I plan to instal the VGs and SFGs this week; this was something I did not want to do until I was 100% satisfied with the covering because it will be a difficult structure to recover once they are installed.

I have unfortunately been between radio systems at the moment and have not got a rx or reprogrammed it in my new tx yet. After having a lockout a few weeks ago on JR/Spektrum, I lost a bird and now I just do not trust my signal enough to risk putting something with this many hours into the air.

I have had a few flights with the Futaba now and am much more confident flying on that signal, despite what I would consider as a more difficult learning curve for the programming.
Should be getting some rx's in the next week or two so that I can prep the fleet for SEFF

Out of curiosity, what signal are you flying these days? I just swapped the 11x DSMx for the 10CHG
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 28, 2012, 05:50 PM
This is my Nemesis....
Canada, SK, Saskatoon
Joined Jan 2011
2,008 Posts
What was causing the discoloration? It wasn't the LED's was it?

I seen you had a JRx11 for sale. Thats is such a nice radio, it's too bad you lost confidance in it. Either way a 14ch? That can only be a Futaba!! I love Futabas, but that one slightly out of my price range for the time being.... Maybe after I've been in the hobbiy a few more years

Lucky You!

I'm currently using a DX8
Old Feb 29, 2012, 01:24 PM
DFC~ We Do Flyin' Right
USA, GA, Atlanta
Joined Nov 2008
14,495 Posts
I am definitely having seller's remorse... I miss the 11x programing, servo matching, and ease of navigating between menus without having to turn on and off the tx.
... but I am confident in the signal and am putting birds back in the air

I believe the discoloration was adhesive left unsanded from the original covering. It showed through the white covering as yellowish green. I thought it was from using the wrong temp setting, but all the discoloration was removed when I took off the covering and the new application looks flawless. I am particularly proud of the wingtips I'll add up some new pics to the Burned Retina thread in the Night Flyers forum after I get the sfg and vg's installed
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 29, 2012, 06:41 PM
This is my Nemesis....
Canada, SK, Saskatoon
Joined Jan 2011
2,008 Posts
I was wishing I bought a 11x

Thats an amazing plane for sure!
Old Feb 29, 2012, 11:13 PM
DFC~ We Do Flyin' Right
USA, GA, Atlanta
Joined Nov 2008
14,495 Posts
The dx8 is also a great radio, to be honest, the 11x had more features than I used; but very well designed and intuitive programming.

The 8 really does do everything the 11 does and more, just with a few less channels. I am adamant about using multiple timers for models, but I would think it is nice to have all the telemetry features the 8 has. Do you utilize the telemetry?

Im not sure I would use it for anything more than rx battery voltage
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 01, 2012, 09:35 PM
This is my Nemesis....
Canada, SK, Saskatoon
Joined Jan 2011
2,008 Posts
I have not use the telemetry yet. I was thinking about the voltage monitor, however I would really like to use it with airspeed indicater and the other stuff as well. Maybe some plane in the future....