HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 24, 2011, 09:14 AM
Joined Dec 2011
2 Posts
Discussion
Simulators Realflight G6 or Phoenix v3

I'm looking to get a rc heli simulator to learn to fly. It seams that the two best are Realflight and Phoenix. Not sure whic to choose I would be spending up to 225.00USD.

Thanks Rich
Rich60175 is offline Find More Posts by Rich60175
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 24, 2011, 10:09 AM
United States, FL, Bradenton
Joined Nov 2011
80 Posts
I have the Phoenix and I'm very happy although, I haven't tryed the Realflight. Cost was $175 from my local which includes the dxe5.
mickmc is offline Find More Posts by mickmc
Old Dec 24, 2011, 11:47 AM
S.A.D. member
United States, TX, Round Rock
Joined Dec 2004
9,555 Posts
I love the RF6. I have not used Phoenix so I can not compare them.
ivanc is offline Find More Posts by ivanc
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 24, 2011, 12:53 PM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,486 Posts
They are both quite good. You can't go wrong with either. Phoenix has a little better basic heli physics, but RF has training modes that make the physics very challenging. RF has a lot more settings and models, plus a very busy community of people making custom models for download. I think at one point I had over 300 planes and helis for RF3.5.
Balr14 is offline Find More Posts by Balr14
Old Dec 24, 2011, 01:01 PM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,449 Posts
They both have advantages, but RF just keeps demanding better computers, and Phoenix just keeps improving the performance. If you don't have the latest gaming setup, RF won't run with full glory, and when the frame rate drops, the physics model suffers as well.
jasmine2501 is offline Find More Posts by jasmine2501
Old Dec 24, 2011, 01:16 PM
S.A.D. member
United States, TX, Round Rock
Joined Dec 2004
9,555 Posts
I do not have a "gaming setup" - just a regular office PC. All I had to do to get excellent RF performance is get an older gaming video card (from my son who recently upgraded his).
ivanc is offline Find More Posts by ivanc
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 24, 2011, 01:24 PM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,449 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivanc View Post
I do not have a "gaming setup" - just a regular office PC. All I had to do to get excellent RF performance is get an older gaming video card (from my son who recently upgraded his).
I did that same thing and it worked pretty well, but then the next version came out and it demanded even more performance. I can run version 3.5 on a laptop, but version 5.5 with just a few graphics options turned on, chokes my best desktop machine, and it has a ludicrous video card. That machine runs X-plane in full glory on an HD TV, but to get good performance with RF, I had to turn off graphics options. For me, the pretty graphics don't have a lot of value, because I'm using the tool as a flight trainer, and as long as the physics are correct, the planes could be stick figures for all I care. In X-Plane, the graphics have a lot of value because I'm flying around my local town using no nav instruments, and I need to be able to see landmarks on the ground, but in RC flight simulation, that's not very important.
Old Dec 25, 2011, 12:02 AM
Crash and learn
United States, PA
Joined Dec 2011
1,605 Posts
Yes, I need a new simulator too.

Both have 200MB+ demos. I watched the Phoenix demo:
http://www.phoenix-simv3.com/demo.asp

And now downloading the Realflight demo:
http://www.realflight.com/free-g5-demo.html

My last simulator was 1996 version, Electronic Arts Apache AH60D Longbow and loved it.

Looks like prices and graphics have come a long way since then. This computer has 16GB RAM and powerful graphics card.

Phoenix demo is a video with demo flights of various aircraft. I like the helicopter one as it appears to show realistic flight, albeit flying 3D isn't exactly realistic flight. But it looks like a good simulator to learn on.

Can't tell if the Realflight demo is good or bad. The demo certainly isn't user friendly and I spent 15 minutes trying to rev up the airplane engine and pounding the keyboard to see what keys may work. Type "H" for help for more useless information. There is a ghosted display that pops up somehow, but is unreadable with dark text on a dark backround and I couldn't move it to a lighter area on the screen. Realflight may be a great simulator. The demo certainly leaves a first impression.
Ribble is offline Find More Posts by Ribble
Last edited by Ribble; Dec 25, 2011 at 01:09 AM.
Old Dec 25, 2011, 01:31 AM
Tampa, FL.
Joined Jul 2010
169 Posts
I have the Phoenix V3 and it's a very good system. Bought mine new on ebay for $130 shipped and it also included the DX5e
Johnnysplits is offline Find More Posts by Johnnysplits
Old Dec 25, 2011, 02:06 AM
Crash and learn
United States, PA
Joined Dec 2011
1,605 Posts
Thanks Johnnysplits. I guess someday I will see ebay as a marketplace instead of an auction. Never bought or sold anything there. I will take a look.
Old Dec 25, 2011, 02:15 AM
Tampa, FL.
Joined Jul 2010
169 Posts
Hey if you want I can see if I can find the seller for you so you dont have to go hunting. Let me know. It was the absolute best deal I could find. Most places sell just the cd for that price WITHOUT the dx5e, so when I saw this, I jumped on it.
Old Dec 25, 2011, 03:09 AM
Crash and learn
United States, PA
Joined Dec 2011
1,605 Posts
I have to look around. Seems odd to need a radio transmitter to run the Phoenix simulator. And a little uneasy buying something across the pond, not that I have anything against UK.
Old Dec 25, 2011, 03:14 AM
Tampa, FL.
Joined Jul 2010
169 Posts
The idea is to learn how to fly. Why/how would you use a flight sim without a transmitter?
Old Dec 25, 2011, 12:03 PM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,449 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ribble View Post
Yes, I need a new simulator too.

Both have 200MB+ demos. I watched the Phoenix demo:
http://www.phoenix-simv3.com/demo.asp

And now downloading the Realflight demo:
http://www.realflight.com/free-g5-demo.html

My last simulator was 1996 version, Electronic Arts Apache AH60D Longbow and loved it.

Looks like prices and graphics have come a long way since then. This computer has 16GB RAM and powerful graphics card.

Phoenix demo is a video with demo flights of various aircraft. I like the helicopter one as it appears to show realistic flight, albeit flying 3D isn't exactly realistic flight. But it looks like a good simulator to learn on.

Can't tell if the Realflight demo is good or bad. The demo certainly isn't user friendly and I spent 15 minutes trying to rev up the airplane engine and pounding the keyboard to see what keys may work. Type "H" for help for more useless information. There is a ghosted display that pops up somehow, but is unreadable with dark text on a dark backround and I couldn't move it to a lighter area on the screen. Realflight may be a great simulator. The demo certainly leaves a first impression.
The funny thing about those demos is neither one really demonstrates the product very well. The RF demo sucks because it's hard to setup - but the real program requires no setup at all because it comes with a controller that is perfectly designed to work with it - all you do is calibrate and fly.

The Phoenix demo isn't playable so I'm not sure what they are doing with it.

I've owned both, and when it came time to give one away to my son, I gave him the RealFlight and I kept the Phoenix. That should be all the info you need, really.
Old Dec 26, 2011, 05:31 PM
Crash and learn
United States, PA
Joined Dec 2011
1,605 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnnysplits View Post
The idea is to learn how to fly. Why/how would you use a flight sim without a transmitter?
Phoenix: "The only RC simulator with a genuine Spektrum DX5e 2.4GHz DSM2 Tx"

Given a choice, I would rather pay $60 less for only the simulator software and use my own USB powered control box (no batteries required). Phoenix says it doesn't support that.