Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Oct 02, 2003, 08:55 PM
Castle's Chaos Corner
Olathe, KS (next to the Castle)
Joined Jun 2001
1,649 Posts
Rant
CLIC wing thumbs up, EDF 50 thumbs down

I just flew my CLIC for the first time and it far exceeds my expectations. Fast and slow, able to handle wind, easy to fly yet challenging and something I feel comfortable flying yet willing to take risks with (most say I take risks with everything) and just plane fun. Here is a picture of my CLIC, 2p1s CBC 850 Lipo, CS-10 servos, GWS ISC 100e ESC, EDF-50 motor with heat sink and 3 X 2 prop. The goo on the heat sink is thermal grease that I got a little carried away with.

I only flew about 7 minutes then landed because it seemed to be loosing a little power and check how the Lipos were doing. I also wanted to switch to a 3 X 3 prop. Everything was cool to the touch so I switched props and tried to test run the motor. It would hardly turn over then quit. I tried my other battery with the same results. I was thinking "OH MY GOD, the smoke came out of the ECS. How could that have happened?" I went home with my tail between my legs. I first checked my batteries, they were OK (this is my first experience with Lipos and I find them a little unbelievable). I then plugged my back up EDF-50 into the ESC and it spun up with no problem. Phew, the ESC is OK but DAMN, I only got 7 minutes on a $10 motor. From reading post here there seems to be a wide range of MTF with this engine, from DOA to 20+ 15 minute flights. Where is the average? If it is closer to the low end of the range I can't afford them. If towards the high end of the scale I will use them for awhile.

Has anyone used the Johnson 250 on this wing? If so, how did you get it to balance without strapping 7 1700 SCRs on the front? I have $5.00 worth of these or 10 motors and would like to use them. But I don't want to turn the CLIC into a pig.

Bernie
Bernie Wolfard is offline Find More Posts by Bernie Wolfard
Last edited by Flutterbug; Oct 02, 2003 at 08:58 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 02, 2003, 10:01 PM
Team 30 Micro EDF
Camarillo, California
Joined Apr 2002
4,516 Posts
You toasted the EDF by running a prop on it. Lots of others have made the same mistake. What you want on there is the EDP (prop, not fan winding). They are supposed to last a lot longer, but the EDFs are known to give up quite quickly swinging a prop...
Mike Taylor is offline Find More Posts by Mike Taylor
Old Oct 02, 2003, 10:01 PM
Pensacola Regional, Florida, United States
Joined Jan 2002
442 Posts
Flutterbug;

Uh oh, the EDF-50 is actually the wrong motor for a DD configuration. The EDF-50 is the 4.8 volt motor made to swing tiny props that go on the GWS ducted fans. You actually need to get the EDP-50 motor; or the GWS-50XC kit which is essentially an EDP-50 motor and 3x2 props bundled.

With the EDP-50 and a 3x2 or 3x3 prop you should get good performance and longevity...

Ron
rakm is offline Find More Posts by rakm
Last edited by rakm; Oct 02, 2003 at 10:07 PM.
Old Oct 03, 2003, 07:58 AM
Apex, NC
Joined Jan 2002
1,492 Posts
Ron,

Does some sell just the EDP-50 without the props for $8?

I need 2

Victor
vkmaynard is offline Find More Posts by vkmaynard
Old Oct 03, 2003, 08:25 AM
Joined Jan 2002
442 Posts
Victor,

Haven't seen any for sale as motor only. Just the 50-XC kit (EDP-50,3x2 props) and replacement IPS kits (EDP-50, Pre installed Pinion). So it looks like the best bet would be the 50-XC kit for replacements.

By the way I'm getting great longevity out of my EDP's without heatsink and on 3x3 props. Many many hours, way more than 10, and I fly LIPO so they're run for extended periods of time...

Ron
Old Oct 03, 2003, 01:05 PM
Castle's Chaos Corner
Joined Jun 2001
1,649 Posts
Damn!! I hate the arcane GWS naming system!! Now I have a couple $10 motors that I have no use for and 1 that is already a paper weight, and not a very good paper weight at that. No wonder I was able to fly around at less than 1/3 throttle.

Is 7.2V Twin B Replacement Motors/Pinions (IPSD-1BRXC), the IPS twin replacement motors with a pinion the same as the EDP motor? These are 2 for $18 at Balsa Products where the EDP system with 3 X 2 props is $10.

Anyone want to chime in using a Johnson J250 on this wing?

Bernie
Old Oct 03, 2003, 01:15 PM
Castle's Chaos Corner
Joined Jun 2001
1,649 Posts
Is the motor from an IPS-D system the correct motor? I have on laying around from an IPS-D system I put the EDF motor in to make a hybrid.
Old Oct 03, 2003, 01:35 PM
Time To Fly?
Gig Harbor, WA
Joined May 2002
706 Posts
the johnson will go on there but will make for a very heavy little wing. It will also be hard to get the CG right because the batteries wont go any further forward. I am thinking about putting some more sweep in my cores to move the CG forward a little bit and give it a go.
gobigdale is offline Find More Posts by gobigdale
Old Oct 03, 2003, 02:04 PM
Joined Jan 2002
442 Posts
Flutterbug here's a copy/paste from a post by jms336 in another thread here on E-Zone related to the Johnson motor and the CLiC:

just put one in a new CLIC wing with 2s2p etec 700's and it rocks!

The CLIC has a sweet airfoil and the J250 seems very happy on it! I have loads of speed and about 2-3 seconds of vertical, BIG loops, etc... It's still so light that it was hitting thermals and jumping up 20-30 feet in a second or less. I could speck it out in about 1-2 minutes no problem.

I believe if you do this you'll need to add some reinforcement, possibly a lightweight spar to prevent high speed flutter due to the increased wing loading and power...

BTW the motor from the IPS D is the correct motor.

Ron
Last edited by rakm; Oct 03, 2003 at 02:07 PM.
Old Oct 03, 2003, 02:15 PM
Toronto Canada
Joined Dec 2002
5,379 Posts
I am using an All Electronics J250 on my homemade wing which is similar to the CLIC.

Because of the sweepback, most of the weight behind the CG is from the frame of the aircraft. The motor is mounted close to the CG and I found that changing to a heavier motor did not cause as much of a shift as I had anticipated.

I am using Etec 1200 lipolys with mine.
Martyn McKinney is offline Find More Posts by Martyn McKinney
Last edited by Martyn McKinney; Oct 03, 2003 at 02:19 PM.
Old Oct 03, 2003, 03:24 PM
I hate waiting for parts
United States, NC, Garner
Joined Apr 2001
6,674 Posts
One of my EDF motors went out on the 2nd flight. Didn't even sound that healthy on the first flight to be honest with you.
Mike_Then is online now Find More Posts by Mike_Then
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 03, 2003, 04:54 PM
AV8
Kansas
Joined Jul 2002
908 Posts
I have plenty of replacement motors in stock. I can sell you an EDP with two props for $10 or Just the motor for $9 if you want.

Let me know how I can help.

KsFLyer
AV8 Hobbies.com
KsFlyer is offline Find More Posts by KsFlyer
Old Oct 03, 2003, 09:46 PM
Apex, NC
Joined Jan 2002
1,492 Posts
KsFLyer,

I sent you a PayPal for 2 motor without the prop.

Thanks,

Victor
vkmaynard is offline Find More Posts by vkmaynard
Old Oct 03, 2003, 09:47 PM
Little Rock Regional, Arkansas, United States
Joined Sep 2002
4,586 Posts
AV8 hobbies

AV8 Hobbies...,,, Great place to get motors and Lithium batterys from.. great service and great prices.... Highly recommended!!!!!!. ++++++++++ Stringfly
STRINGFLY is offline Find More Posts by STRINGFLY
Old Oct 03, 2003, 10:22 PM
AV8
Kansas
Joined Jul 2002
908 Posts
Thanks again. Will ship them ASAP.

KsFLyer
KsFlyer is offline Find More Posts by KsFlyer