SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 23, 2011, 08:45 PM
wannabe Jet guy
Green Valley, AZ
Joined Aug 2004
2,011 Posts
Build Log
Hobby Top Gun Mirage, MIG-15 and F-86 Build's

So, most of the builds on these have been covered to death But since I finally got off my A$$ to finish some of my projects, I will be building all three plus a C-17 during the next month. I started last night, and here are some of the pictures. The build will start at the condition that planes are now and skip a lot of the small details UNLESS someone request specific info/photos.

MIG-15 Modifications = Lights, Different hatch attachment for the rear hatch.

F-86 Modifications = Lights, Rudder, Electric Retracts, and a Big maybe on the flaps.

Mirage Modifications = Electric Retracts, Rudder. I do need some help finding out the Color used in Tiger Meet 2010 Year of the Tiger (Orange?)

C-17 will be the slow part, I have a build thread started on my Blog and probably have the least priority in the build. Modifications will included Flaps, Lights and a different Paint job.

Ralph
CRCJA is offline Find More Posts by CRCJA
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 23, 2011, 09:00 PM
wannabe Jet guy
Green Valley, AZ
Joined Aug 2004
2,011 Posts
Colors

Below are the Selected Color Schemes. I have the Decals for the Mirage, MIG-15 and the F-86 already.

MIG-15, Base is white on the Bottom and Silver at the top with the stripes of Black and Mustard in provided by decals.

F-86, All Silver with then the decals applied, The version in Red on the included Picture.

Mirage, Tiger Meet Scheme, I still have to find the colors, but I have the decals, I believe them to be Dark Grey, Light Grey, Orange and white???

C-17, White and Dark Gull Grey and White. I have no decals, maybe I will just paint them on. Maybe I can find someone to make stencils.

Ralph
Old Dec 24, 2011, 02:28 AM
wannabe Jet guy
Green Valley, AZ
Joined Aug 2004
2,011 Posts
Build

F-86 = I re-shaped the rear end of the F-86, sanded the Bass mouth to install the improved nose cover, then filled in the seam where the fuselage joint.

Mirage = Worked on re-locating the wing servos, still trying to decide if I should used the HS-65MG or to go with the bigger HS-85MG, I filled in all of the panel lines.

MIG-15 = Sanded the first coat of poly urethane, since I had already glued in the forward hatch, my first plan for a hatch modification is out the window, I was going to use a ny-rod outer shield glued to both hatches first, then cut at the seam so that when place on the plane, I would use music wire pulled through under the canopy to remove the rear hatch, now I will use to locating pins in the forward part of the rear hatch and either a hatch latch or magnets on the rear porting of the hatch.

Ralph
Old Dec 24, 2011, 03:39 PM
wannabe Jet guy
Green Valley, AZ
Joined Aug 2004
2,011 Posts
All About Sanding

This Morning, I was able to get in the shop for an hour or so, I spent it sanding and filling.

F-86 = I sanded the Filler from yesterday in the fuselage joint and speed brakes. I also sanded the tail in order to smooth out some of the rough areas left by the 80 grit sandpaper. It is now down to 220 Grit, nice and smooth. Shaped, Sanded and filled the vertical stab, Next will be the Glassing with WBPU and then cutting out the Rudder.

Mirage = Lot's of Sanding in fuselage, Wing, and Vertical stab. I filled in the panel lines on the vertical and next will be some sanding, glassing with WBPU and then cutting out the rudder.

MIG-15 = No updates

C-17 = Since I was working on the rudders for the other two planes, I sanded the horizontal stab, so I can cut the rudder and add the four servo extensions in the Vertical stab.

Ralph
Old Dec 25, 2011, 06:34 PM
wannabe Jet guy
Green Valley, AZ
Joined Aug 2004
2,011 Posts
Glassing

So, the quest continues to get all three verticals and rudders on just like on the MIG-15

F-86 and Mirage = I glassed both sides of the Vertical Stab, once dry, I will cut the rudders out, hinge them and glue the vertical stab on the fuselage tonight.

C-17 = Installed the light at the top of the tail, installed both elevator servos and glued the Horizontal to the Vertical stab (darn it, I should have done the rudder first).

Ralph
Old Dec 26, 2011, 04:46 AM
wannabe Jet guy
Green Valley, AZ
Joined Aug 2004
2,011 Posts
We have Rudders

Once the Water based Poly Urethane had dried out, I sanded the edges and any raised areas of the Fiber Glass cloth. I then cut out the three Rudders and made the servo pockets, The rudder on the C-17 it 2 inches wide, the Rudder on the Mirage is about half an inch wider than stock, I think it was Jon (Skylineflyer) who made that suggestion on his build. Next up, will be a second coat of filler for the F-86 and Mirage Fuselage, then Glue in the Vertical Stabs on the planes.

Ralph
Old Jan 03, 2012, 10:04 PM
wannabe Jet guy
Green Valley, AZ
Joined Aug 2004
2,011 Posts
Tails

OK, I got side-tracked by a problem with the C-17 after I came back from vacation, I started back on the Mirage and decided to Hinge, Install the servo and fill in the cables and servo as much as possible with the Light Weight spackle. Next up will be to get the F-86 to this step, and Figure out the Hatch on the MIG-15

Ralph
Old Jan 04, 2012, 09:46 AM
Yes..ok..maybe..lol.....
Tucson Avra Valley, Arizona, United States
Joined Jul 2004
5,729 Posts
Nice work Ralph....Three at once..very impressive!!........How are you hinging the Elevons to the wing in your Mirage? I used a sub trailing edge of balsa on the wing TE and balsa leading edge on the LE of the Elevon. Sanded a 45 degree double bevel on the Elevons and then used nylon hinges which I also pinned. For the Elevon servos used 85mgs and a top drive system. No linkages on the bottom of the wing.Most of the elevon linkage is inside the wing.I thought the taped hinge system that came with my FlyFLY was doomed to fail. Also added a carbon fiber tube spar in the wing. What power system will you be using for the Mirage?
-Dave
shhhhh! is offline Find More Posts by shhhhh!
Last edited by shhhhh!; Jan 04, 2012 at 10:02 AM.
Old Jan 04, 2012, 12:02 PM
wannabe Jet guy
Green Valley, AZ
Joined Aug 2004
2,011 Posts
Mig-15

@ Dave: First, thanks, actually I am building FOUR planes at this time. Three Hobby Top Gun planes, and the C-17, but the C-17 stuff is mostly on my blog. My Mirage, F-86 and MIG-15 all have the HS85MG in the wings. Because of the Paint Scheme for the Mirage, I don't think I will go with Top side mounted controls, at least not yet. I have not decided on the type of hinges for the wing yet, but my elevons do have the same trailing edge as yours.

So I tackled the MIG-15 Hatch last night, I don't trust the magnets back there since I have a lot of servo extensions and such, so I figured I would use two guide pins in the front. I have yet to glue a couple of pieces of wood on the hatch and the fuselage to mount the pins and the retainers. I did decide to go with a standard hatch latch for the back part of the hatch. I then place some 1/64th ply in the back so that the latch would not just tear out the foam, I will also harden the hole in the foam with CyA, even though the ply it's super thin, the strength comes from the CyA and it being glued to the other surfaces.

I am attending college and a University at the same time too, so progress this week might slow down. I should be back in full swing in two weeks when I am done with both.

Ralph
Old Jan 06, 2012, 11:06 PM
RAVI KOTHARI
Joined Nov 2005
259 Posts
mirage build

Looks good, i am about to start my Mirage build, will keep up with your thread, great effort. All the best.
regards
ravi
ravikoth is offline Find More Posts by ravikoth
Old Jan 07, 2012, 04:24 AM
wannabe Jet guy
Green Valley, AZ
Joined Aug 2004
2,011 Posts
F-86 Ruuder and Elevators

Well, back on the quest to get the Vertical stabs glued to all planes, this time I worked on the F-86 Rudder, Horizontal Stabs, and Mig-15 hatch.

For those that might have not seen me do it before, I SUCK at putting hinges on, so I get some lubricant and put it on the center of the hinges, move them around so that it soaks into the center of the hinge and then glue it on the surfaces. That way when the extra glue squeezes out, it will not glue the hinge on a Neutral position. Just like the Hatch on the L-39, the latch on the MIG-15, I also used toothpicks to give it strength for when I pull and tug on it to remove the hatch, the latch itself will not easily rip out. I don't think the elevators needed beefing up, the original plan was to power the F-86 with a decent 8S system, so I added a carbon tube in the horizontal stabs.

Next up will be the wing bracket that goes in the Fuselage of the Mirage and the F-86. The Mirage was going to be a one piece with the wing glued it, so this part was omitted, on the F-86, well I was a dummy and didn't out it in during the assembly The retracts on the Mirage go forward at a small angle, don't know if I will try to table that too or not.

Ralph
Last edited by CRCJA; Jan 07, 2012 at 04:29 AM.
Old Jan 07, 2012, 07:53 AM
Aka: Tom Jenkins
Palm Beach County, Fl.
Joined Aug 2008
4,501 Posts
Great work! My suggestion is to address the easy clevis'. The pic of the Mirage rudder has the clevis front and an easy connector rear. How about a Z bend to the front and a clevis with a tubing keeper to the rear on all your linkages. I see you kept the servos 90 to the hinge lines, thing is with the small amount of throw needed to fly well its better to reduce drag by having the linkages perp to the airflow, the bit of wierd throw won't matter. Center the main wheels 1/2" behind the CG too. its all good, have fun
ApexAero is offline Find More Posts by ApexAero
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 07, 2012, 12:08 PM
wannabe Jet guy
Green Valley, AZ
Joined Aug 2004
2,011 Posts
Linkage

Thanks for the suggestion, I always use tubing on clevices too, I still need to remove / disconnect the flying surfaces to seal the leading edge of the rudder with WBPU and then to apply the large graphic, so this is not the final configuration. I also don't like the large EZ connector on the back, it's a bit over-sized, so it might have to go.

Also, thanks for the suggestion on the main wheels, I knew they had to be moved forward, but now you saved me some time. I don't think I am going to try and angle them forward after all, I mean I love to use the TLAR method and NOT go overboard.

Since I am working on the wing mount for both planes today, one thing I always do is THROW away the stock hardware, for us here in the states it much easier to find replacement screws to hold the wings in Standard sizes instead of metric.

Ralph

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApexAero View Post
Great work! My suggestion is to address the easy clevis'. The pic of the Mirage rudder has the clevis front and an easy connector rear. How about a Z bend to the front and a clevis with a tubing keeper to the rear on all your linkages. I see you kept the servos 90 to the hinge lines, thing is with the small amount of throw needed to fly well its better to reduce drag by having the linkages perp to the airflow, the bit of wierd throw won't matter. Center the main wheels 1/2" behind the CG too. its all good, have fun
Old Jan 07, 2012, 03:32 PM
Aka: Tom Jenkins
Palm Beach County, Fl.
Joined Aug 2008
4,501 Posts
Yea either imperial or metric use good quality steel screws, too bad the stock stuff is made inferior or they just give up the crap hardware and reduce the prices and tell you up front, heres the deal. Too bad the gotta have it yesterday crowd has our purchasing power down in the sewer.
ApexAero is offline Find More Posts by ApexAero
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 08, 2012, 04:30 AM
wannabe Jet guy
Green Valley, AZ
Joined Aug 2004
2,011 Posts
Verticals

for the Mirage, I spent a couple of minutes looking for the base colors. In Model Masters rattle cans I can use light ghost gray and intermediate blue for the colors Fuselage, then the nose radome is aircraft gray. Of course that just leaves the Orange for the rest of the fuselage. I Centered the Rudder servo, change the quick connector type, and fished the servo lead through the fuselage. I finally glued in the vertical Stab to the plane. The HS85MG for Elevons are glued in place, I cut not decide which struts to use. I really wanted to use the same wheels and struts that come with the L-39 and the MIG-15 but they might be too tall, they end up one inch taller than the kit supplied parts.

On the F-86 I centered the servos for the Elevators, and glued the servos in, sanded the horizontal stabs to make them a bit aerodynamic and just test fitted the Vertical stab for now

Ralph
Last edited by CRCJA; Jan 09, 2012 at 09:20 AM. Reason: Spelling