HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 05, 2012, 02:38 PM
Joined Sep 2007
488 Posts
No gents, You are not hijacking my thread, You are helping me to clarify something I'm doing wrong and I thank you for your valuable and friendly contribution, now I have more than one option to solve my problem!
Feel free to continue the discussion at your will!
Guizzo 17 is offline Find More Posts by Guizzo 17
to remove ads between posts
Old May 06, 2012, 11:37 AM
Joined Jun 2005
2,453 Posts
Thank you Guizzo, Please let us know about your progress and best of luck with it.

Charles
canard addict is offline Find More Posts by canard addict
Old Jul 16, 2012, 03:02 PM
Joined Sep 2007
488 Posts
Well, finally the canard flew!
I had to make a new fuselage to rearrange the radio gears and have the main landing gear 10 cm forward.
I may show you just few pictures because I have lost my camera. Few days ago I bought a new one that happened to be defective and I returned it to the seller. The pictures at the flying site were taken with a camera unprovided of viewfinder and they are the best I may show! I will post better ones as soon as I complete my model.
My canard was ready for a new flight test since a month ago but, because of some chores, high temperatures and windy days I postponed the test. Yesterday was still a bit windy and I had to weight till late afternoon for suitable weather conditions. Just to stay on the safe side, I added some lead to the nose of the model to have the C/G at 30 cm from the fore-plane leading edge, which is 1cm farther than what the C/G calculator suggested. I was a bit in apprehension when I advanced the throttle stick but the model accelerated straight and took-off by itself while I was still keeping the elevator stick in neutral position. The model continued climbing with a ramp of 20~25 slightly banking on the right which required six clicks on the trim to correct it, I even had to reduce the throttle to 75% and correct a climb tendency with five clicks of trim. The model was stable and I could start making gentle turns to see how it behaved and calm myself down before landing.
After a couple of minutes I reduced power and started the approach turn; when the model was about two meters high, I needed to increase the power to 25% and keep the canard nose down to maintain sufficient speed. I flared the model about one feet above the ground and smoothly landed and stopped after a three meter run.
After landing, I checked the model and I saw that the ailerons were bent a couple of degrees to the left but I couldn't see evidence of wing warps.
I'll need to carefully inspect my canard for wing or rudders warps.
The neutral position of the elevator for level flight is shown in the pdf scheme and I guess I will reduce the fore-plane incidence from the current four to only two degrees. I even will keep the nose weight until I feel comfy with the model.
I made a second flight and during the landing flare I reduced the speed too much and the fore-plane stalled; luckily the model gave me plenty of time to correct it applying power and easing the elevator. Happily I even avoided a crannied area on the landing strip that I didn't spot!
Now I need to ultimate the model resetting the fore-plane incidence, checking for warps and finally applying decals. I'll post more pictures as soon as I may.
Old Jul 16, 2012, 03:08 PM
I like real wooden aeroplanes!
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
4,536 Posts
Well done Guizzo! I am pleased that your efforts have been rewarded by finally getting this unusual model to fly. Looking forward to seeing more photographs of it in flight.
Sundancer is online now Find More Posts by Sundancer
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 17, 2012, 02:22 AM
skumgummi dave
Gresham, OR.
Joined Mar 2004
1,822 Posts
Bravo Guzzio!
foamdave is online now Find More Posts by foamdave
Old Jul 17, 2012, 04:53 AM
Joined Jun 2005
2,453 Posts
Great news, Guzzio, congratulations! Now you know how it is done and it gets easier as you go forward.

Charles
Old Jul 17, 2012, 01:48 PM
Joined Sep 2007
488 Posts
Thanks so much gents! Good news is my daughter found my camera. I forgot it in her home!
Old Jul 17, 2012, 01:55 PM
Visitor from Reality
United States, VA, Arlington
Joined Dec 1996
12,788 Posts
Congratulations Guizzo! It is good to hear that all your skill and effort has been rewarded and you successfully flew your creation.

Regards

Dereck
Dereck is offline Find More Posts by Dereck
Old Jul 18, 2012, 04:23 PM
Joined Sep 2007
488 Posts
Thanks Derek. Very kind of you!
Old Dec 05, 2012, 12:38 PM
Joined Sep 2007
488 Posts
Well, the 2012 Build-Off is over and I forgot to post a video of my canard. Anyway here you may see my model in flight.
The video is not a big deal but I did all my best to keep the model as close as possible to the camera!!
Old Dec 05, 2012, 05:02 PM
Sydney, Australia
Joined Mar 2006
1,315 Posts
Well done with this model. Looks nice and stable. Lift-off was good, then in the final 30 seconds of the video the camera got a better view.
John235 is offline Find More Posts by John235
Old Dec 06, 2012, 01:40 AM
I like real wooden aeroplanes!
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
4,536 Posts
Congratulations Guizzo, you have really tamed this unusual model. It doesn't hang about either, does it!
Sundancer is online now Find More Posts by Sundancer
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 06, 2012, 03:09 PM
Joined Jun 2005
2,453 Posts
Guizzo, You have a stable canard now after all that hard work. I know you must be proud of it. Charles
Old Dec 09, 2012, 12:51 PM
Joined Sep 2007
488 Posts
Thanks John, George and Charles!
Yes I'm quite happy with my canard, actually it doesn't have too bad habits, it's capable to fly level with 1/3 power, rolls fast, flies inverted easily and looks good in flight but my intention is to improve performances a bit more.
Actually my canard lacks sufficient motor down-thrust, flies with 1oz ballast on the nose and after decreasing the canard incidence to +2, the stall is not so gentle as I would.
Besides, nose flimsiness seems to be a common problem among canards and I recently made a less than perfect landing and the nose gear ripped off the fuselage nose!
Maybe Ill build a third fuselage.....!