SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 23, 2011, 09:37 AM
smartquad
Spain, PM, Baleares
Joined Nov 2011
111 Posts
Help!
MK mortal flip!!

Hi there! I just finished mounting my mk 2.1 onto a quad and on the first flight 2ft from the ground it started to woble and then made a perfect flip and landed simultaniously on the 4 motors,no damage,but scared shitless!Im not very familioar with the Koptertoll and would really apreciate any hint on how to aproach!
Chears!
smartquad is offline Find More Posts by smartquad
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 23, 2011, 09:45 AM
United States, CA, Hayward
Joined Apr 2006
710 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by smartquad View Post
first flight 2ft from the ground it started to woble and then made a perfect flip and landed simultaniously on the 4 motors!
your MK is functioning normally (beat you to it, TC)

i have been there, done that with my clone MK (they cloned it so perfect, even the inexplicable flip gremlins got in there). joking aside, sounds like a gain issue. if it actually hovers level for a second or two, then your motors are set up in the correct order. if it flips immediately after leaving the ground, you've got some switched.
chris24g is offline Find More Posts by chris24g
Old Dec 23, 2011, 10:01 AM
OS Sponsor
Germany, NRW, Dusseldorf
Joined Jun 2010
5,397 Posts
They have a special term for this behaviour: the "MK FOD".

MikroKopter "flip of death".MOV (0 min 34 sec)

But you can solve it easily: go buy a competitor. That'll enable you to accidently perform throttle cuts at high altitudes, fly-aways for no reason and other highly entertaining episodes that certainly leave an impact!
kinderkram is offline Find More Posts by kinderkram
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 23, 2011, 10:16 AM
San Marcos, TX
Joined Jan 2010
672 Posts
Check out this new-ish set of wiki pages: http://www.mikrokopter.com/ucwiki/en...iebnahme/Step1

Go through it all again. Many people have lots of issues with MK at first, but once you get it flying it is the best that I have flown (I've flown these: HFP, KK, OP CC).

Best of luck, Shawn
Mactadpole is offline Find More Posts by Mactadpole
Old Dec 23, 2011, 10:30 AM
Eat-Sleep-Work-Fly-Repeat
Canada, NL, Division No. 9
Joined Mar 2011
709 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kinderkram View Post
They have a special term for this behaviour: the "MK FOD".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GUlekezQpdA

But you can solve it easily: go buy a competitor. That'll enable you to accidently perform throttle cuts at high altitudes, fly-aways for no reason and other highly entertaining episodes that certainly leave an impact!
W.T.F! I'm really in shock. Is this something that happens either bit often?
Grips is online now Find More Posts by Grips
Old Dec 23, 2011, 11:02 AM
RTFM // copter damaged
Joined Aug 2009
1,726 Posts
Quote:
'i did not do that'
warthox is offline Find More Posts by warthox
Old Dec 23, 2011, 11:45 AM
smartquad
Spain, PM, Baleares
Joined Nov 2011
111 Posts
chris24g:chears bro,well its good to hear that its normal!I gettit hovering for about 20 seconds,but somehow wobly and then Chachan!flip!

Mactadpole:cherars man,well it all seams to be Ok..no error flashing up..but Ill keep searching,thanks for the site!

kinderkram:jajaja! thats the one man!just like that!
Old Dec 23, 2011, 11:52 AM
DJI Support
Las Vegas/Lake Tahoe
Joined Feb 2010
10,839 Posts
I started with .82 in default set up. It performed flawlessly for me. Now I am faced with .86 and I am afraid to risk my MK with it though I upgraded to .84 and have it set up, I have not flown with it. I think that I will wait for awhile longer.
Tahoe Ed is offline Find More Posts by Tahoe Ed
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: Landing Gear Reset S800
Old Dec 23, 2011, 12:01 PM
smartquad
Spain, PM, Baleares
Joined Nov 2011
111 Posts
Tahoe Ed:so I understand that upgrades have not been real tested and that upgading is not sinonimous of better performance?Maby I should load 082 if its proven to perfome properly!
Old Dec 23, 2011, 12:16 PM
Tri-Quad-Hexa-Octo-copters!!
United States, TX, San Antonio
Joined Feb 2007
14,714 Posts
A mortal flip from 6 inches in the video Norbert posted??? The Gent in the video has no idea...
With all multicopters, "There are them that have and them that will"...eventuallyl

3...2...1...TC?...

Cheers,
Jim
Quadrocopter and Tricopter Mega Link Index
jesolins is offline Find More Posts by jesolins
Last edited by jesolins; Dec 23, 2011 at 01:21 PM.
Old Dec 23, 2011, 12:39 PM
OS Sponsor
Germany, NRW, Dusseldorf
Joined Jun 2010
5,397 Posts
Jim: Well ... at least I can perform FODs by purpose much cheaper than with an MK.

Bantering aside: most sources for the flips are hardware related. Either I2C errors or bad gyros / accs.

smartquad, try this: take off the props, connect the board to the MK tools, start the motors and throttle up. Just hold it flat in your hand for a while. Do you see any spikes from the sensors?

Here's where the guy was looking for help:
http://www.mikrokopter.us/index.php?topic=2253.0
kinderkram is offline Find More Posts by kinderkram
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 23, 2011, 12:44 PM
Denmark, Capital Region of Denmark, Copenhagen
Joined May 2010
1,203 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grips View Post
W.T.F! I'm really in shock. Is this something that happens either bit often?
Nop, it only happens everyday to timecop

Now, joking aside, go through the link posted earlier. Also, post more data, and maybe a video of your flip. It sounds like mixing error, if you haven't flown it before?

How do you take-off?
Did you check motor-rotations, and mixes before you did first flight ? (start the motors with no props, and then feel for response to movement).

I have 2 2.1 based quads, none of them have done funny stuff, that couldn't be explained (and thereby dealt with).
wizprod is offline Find More Posts by wizprod
Last edited by wizprod; Dec 23, 2011 at 12:54 PM.
Old Dec 23, 2011, 12:51 PM
United Kingdom, Scotland, Edinburgh
Joined Nov 2010
1,839 Posts
Waiting for Timecop's reply.
hexa is offline Find More Posts by hexa
Old Dec 23, 2011, 01:24 PM
Tri-Quad-Hexa-Octo-copters!!
United States, TX, San Antonio
Joined Feb 2007
14,714 Posts
Hi Norbert,
Me too of course To clarify I meant the surprised Gent in the video has no idea what a true FOD is from 100M...
Cheers,
Jim
Quadrocopter and Tricopter Mega Link Index
Quote:
Jim: Well ... at least I can perform FODs by purpose much cheaper than with an MK. ..
jesolins is offline Find More Posts by jesolins
Old Dec 23, 2011, 01:35 PM
smartquad
Spain, PM, Baleares
Joined Nov 2011
111 Posts
ESC are turnigy 30 amps conected with a abuse mark adapter.I used the same on a Mk clone 1.35 and it worked ok.

kinderkram:no spikes but when turning up the gas to 32 or a bit higher the rpm went up and down,then the motors stoped and started a few times.It didnt do that on the 2 time..

wizprod:well it could definetly be a mixing problem as I have no clue for the values..its the first "flight".it did a similar reaction to the video posted by kinderkram but it started to woble a bit first..then fliped.Motors are rotating in the right direction,this a belive to be in a x quad 1-2 clockwise 3-4 a.c