HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 22, 2011, 05:50 PM
Balsa addiction since age 3
Upstate NY
Joined May 2005
1,221 Posts
Discussion
FrSky 2.4GHz 6 Channel D6FR

I recently moved my bigger electrics to this system. I have "standardized" on the 6 channel - really like the built in receiver voltage monitor as that is what I need, others like FPVers may not.

Problems encountered.... First DIY DHT module worked, bound but had horrible range and was tried with multiple receivers. I opened up the unit and did not see anything obvious (well all interface wires were frayed and could have shorted) so rather than waste time, I ordered another one. I did change antenna's but this did not help. The new one worked fine out of the box.

I bound the unit to both 8 and 6 channel receivers with no problem and have flown a few flights on two different planes. I really love the feedback that is provided (beep) when signal gets weak and have only had a few while in the air (and very far away or on the ground), which I understand is normal. Linked with the 9x transmitter, I am loving this system. I love Eraz software as well.

One thing I worry about is the connectors used for the D6FR antenna's - it is great that they are removable in case you need to change but I think this is a real weak spot on these units and might be susceptible to vibration. I have hot glued them so they don't vibrate loose. Has anyone else had an issue with these? I had several antenna's disconnected right out of the box. The 8 channel receivers were just fine (although I have not tried to take a cover off one of those). I see the DIY uses the same connector and think I should open that up and hot glue it.

Thoughts?

Scott
ScottSails is offline Find More Posts by ScottSails
Last edited by ScottSails; Dec 22, 2011 at 08:29 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 22, 2011, 06:03 PM
f5b-uk
United Kingdom, Dorset
Joined May 2002
3,061 Posts
I modified my DHT module to put the 4-pin connector on a fly lead in order to get it to fit better inside my tx. While I was working on the module the antenna did come off but I think it will stay in place in use due to the pressure exerted by the heat-shrink.
Mike Seale is offline Find More Posts by Mike Seale
Old Dec 22, 2011, 08:54 PM
United States, CA, Camarillo
Joined Jan 2005
748 Posts
FrySky Stuff

When I opened the DFT transmitter module I pulled very gently on the coax running from the circuit board to the ant connector and it came right of the board. I was able to re-solder it very carefully making sure that the shield braid was not shorted to the inner conductor in the process. The solder joint which failed appeared to be very porous and possibly a cold joint. All the solder in the system appears to be the new leadless stuff which is not as easy to manage as the older variety. Conclusion: Tx module now works as intended but I have my doubts as to the routine quality of assembly of this system.

Oh, also had one 7 ch non-telemetry rx that just would not bind. All others were OK.

In use this system seems very solid and shows excellent range.
CFIMEI is online now Find More Posts by CFIMEI
Old Dec 23, 2011, 06:53 AM
Upstate NY
Joined May 2005
1,221 Posts
Thanks folks - I am thinking solder for the DHT module.... just in case.
Old Dec 23, 2011, 06:54 AM
Upstate NY
Joined May 2005
1,221 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CFIMEI View Post
When I opened the DFT transmitter module I pulled very gently on the coax running from the circuit board to the ant connector and it came right of the board. I was able to re-solder it very carefully making sure that the shield braid was not shorted to the inner conductor in the process. The solder joint which failed appeared to be very porous and possibly a cold joint. All the solder in the system appears to be the new leadless stuff which is not as easy to manage as the older variety. Conclusion: Tx module now works as intended but I have my doubts as to the routine quality of assembly of this system.

Oh, also had one 7 ch non-telemetry rx that just would not bind. All others were OK.

In use this system seems very solid and shows excellent range.
This new solder is crap.... Seems like we are actually hurting the environment more with the stuff that gets sent to the dump due to bad solder.
Old Dec 23, 2011, 08:35 AM
f5b-uk
United Kingdom, Dorset
Joined May 2002
3,061 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottSails View Post
This new solder is crap.... Seems like we are actually hurting the environment more with the stuff that gets sent to the dump due to bad solder.
Is your iron adjustable? Old fixed temp irons aren't necessarily going to be hot enough for lead-free solder.

When I saw that Pb was being dropped I bought a lifetimes supply of lovely 60/40 solder. I'm certainly glad that I did.
Mike Seale is offline Find More Posts by Mike Seale
Old Dec 23, 2011, 08:52 AM
Upstate NY
Joined May 2005
1,221 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Seale View Post
Is your iron adjustable? Old fixed temp irons aren't necessarily going to be hot enough for lead-free solder.

When I saw that Pb was being dropped I bought a lifetimes supply of lovely 60/40 solder. I'm certainly glad that I did.
I have several irons and the "good" solder as it is all I use... But I have had motor ESC connectors come loose because the ESC end was pre-tinned with the ROHS garbage and even though it looked like a good connection, it was not. Honestly, it is learning curve for me due to the higher heat required...