HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by bsbauman, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Dec 22, 2011, 02:18 PM
DFC~ We Do Flyin' Right
USA, GA, Atlanta
Joined Nov 2008
14,742 Posts
Discussion
Guillow F-15 Eagle Twin 30mm EDF Conversion, No. 1401

Well I picked up this ol Guillow F-15 forever ago on RC Groups. After being build the original builder was scared to fly it. It needed recovering and after removing the previous tissue, revealed it was not the most accomplished builder. Different size ducting and exhaust for each EDF unit, and a few bits of missing wood here and there were replaced, but not all of them. These were some of the "irks" I discovered but I got tired of this little guy sitting on the bench and went ahead and started to recover without fixing some of what I felt were non-crucial areas

In the future, when covering a model of this scale, I will not use a shrink film but a tissue and dope. I have only covered the bottom so far, but there where areas that when shrunk, removed some of the classic lines of the F-15. Like the little dip between the turbines, and in spots between the wing and fuse has more curves than it should.

This was a Build n Show model display kit No. 1401, converted to rc with twin 30mm EDF motor and fan units.

Bottom of fuse and wings have been covered, I also covered the the full flying stabs. (not pictured) More pics will be posted once she is buttoned up.

Overall, I am somewhat dissatisfied by the original builder's build, but do believe it will fly and hopefully fly somewhat well. I do not typically video maidens, but as there have not been many of this particular model flying (none that I know of at least; if this model has been converted before please do send me some information) I will try to get it on film.
bsbauman is offline Find More Posts by bsbauman
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Boom Smoke!
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 09, 2012, 04:22 PM
ich bauen groß modell flugzeug
United Kingdom, London
Joined Dec 2010
6,838 Posts
lookin really cool
Keenan smith is online now Find More Posts by Keenan smith
Old Feb 09, 2012, 11:44 PM
DFC~ We Do Flyin' Right
USA, GA, Atlanta
Joined Nov 2008
14,742 Posts
Thanks K I am looking to maiden it in the next week or two. just applied a few decals last night, I will post some pics in the next day or so.

Not sure I will do another at this scale; I found it difficult to work and cover such a small model with such distinct lines. After I started this, I started a top flite giant p-47 and an extreme flight 70" Extra 300; both were worlds easier to work on in my opinion
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 08, 2014, 06:20 PM
MigLovin'
Sanford, FL
Joined Dec 2008
71 Posts
What happened to this?!?!
JimEdmiston is offline Find More Posts by JimEdmiston
Old Sep 08, 2014, 07:27 PM
DFC~ We Do Flyin' Right
USA, GA, Atlanta
Joined Nov 2008
14,742 Posts
Flew like a javelin...

... right into the ground!

She was far too heavy and was a lawn dart (with no damage). With todays power systems, the project would be a bit easier. I ended up giving it away to a lucky local guy who wanted to put some love, hours and money into it.
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 09, 2014, 10:51 PM
MigLovin'
Sanford, FL
Joined Dec 2008
71 Posts
Can't say I'm surprised
Thanks for the quick reply!
Old Sep 10, 2014, 10:44 AM
DFC~ We Do Flyin' Right
USA, GA, Atlanta
Joined Nov 2008
14,742 Posts
No problem!

Are you considering a micro edf as well?
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 11, 2014, 04:43 PM
MigLovin'
Sanford, FL
Joined Dec 2008
71 Posts
Just thinking Guillows micro rc conversion in general. I recently made a 30mm Bandit EDF and it's pretty fun but I'd like a simple micro for once. All I've been flying is 3D and prop jets. Haven't worked with balsa in a while so this seemed a good option. Right now I'm entertaining the Piper Super Cub 95, but my wild side is telling me to go for the Edge 540. I'll be adding a gyro (or using an as3x brick) for which ever plane I decide on, but I think I'd opt for a more powerful setup on the Edge. I'm just afraid that if I do the 540, it'll fly pattern but probably won't do smooth 3D because of the high flying weight. It does look beautiful, though.