6,908 Posts
A similar problem here, with a poor layout and wrong scale... now sorted
davereap is online now Find More Posts by davereap
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 30, 2011, 04:51 PM
United States, MI, Detroit
Joined Dec 2011
2 Posts
Nice Work!...makes a good tutorial too...thanks for the "tips n tricks".
Churn N Burn is offline Find More Posts by Churn N Burn
Old Jan 01, 2012, 01:48 AM
Ashford. Kent. England
Joined Feb 2005
6,908 Posts
Ive been going through lots of plans lately and its a shame how often the scale is set incorrectly in the pdf or dxf on what ive looked at..
Go to print them without checking first and who knows what you will get..

I think ive got the scaling and printing all sorted, using all free programs, but as I get more bright ideas I will post them..
And as I sort out my iffy plans they will get posted as well..

Now how about you... have you any plans to put here...
Old Jan 01, 2012, 02:36 AM
Ashford. Kent. England
Joined Feb 2005
6,908 Posts
Cessna-150 at 50" span ...... Dart Kitten drawn by Kenneth Pettersson
Last edited by davereap; Jan 01, 2012 at 03:23 AM.
Old Jan 05, 2012, 01:33 PM
Ashford. Kent. England
Joined Feb 2005
6,908 Posts
Here is yet another method to print up your plans

uses gimp ..free and Microsoft publisher from the office suite

In gimp bring in an image or a pdf..
Use the measurement tool to obtain a span reading... at this stage you decide what span you are building, and calculate the scale up or down to get the required span..
You do this using measurements from the scale box
Take an image size as shown.. divide by the span you measured.then multiply by the span required.. The answer is input into the scale box for the image size you used.. the model is now scaled..
Double check the span to make sure you've got it to what you want..
At this stage save out the plan as a tiff...

In publisher select one of the sign size blank pages.. which one does not matter as you will be custom resizing the page to suit the plan size..
Insert the picture from the file saved..
Open the publishers measurement tool.. select the image then input the image size from gimp into the publishers measurement box... this scales your image to its correct size..
Now change your page size to accommodate your image..
Put the image over the page..

Done now you can print out... use print preview to make sure you got it all correct
Old Jan 06, 2012, 05:16 AM
Ashford. Kent. England
Joined Feb 2005
6,908 Posts
Now for publisher

note because you made the correct sized page for the plan, the image just needs enlarging in the measurement box till it fits the page
see pics 3 and 4 here.. when the fit is good the plan is at its correct size.
Now you can print out the many sheets needed for this size plan... the pdf will give you the number of sheets needed..
As thet are likely A4 or letter, with a bit of overlap, a lot of sheets will be used... 28 pages in the pdf here as I selected 1cm overlaps..
and only 21 in the preview as no overlap is set
Last edited by davereap; Jan 06, 2012 at 05:35 AM.
Old Jan 06, 2012, 05:57 AM
Ashford. Kent. England
Joined Feb 2005
6,908 Posts
A cheaper alternative to publisher is a program called tile print..
Originaly it was available as a free download, but like a lot of programs it was improved to take a bigger selection of types including pdf files, and is now only available by purchasing

an old old version that only takes a few image files is available on my homepages..link on blog

With a full size image there is also the ScaleAnTile3 program from Bill Segraves even cheaper which should do the job
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/member.php?u=132593
He has two versions available one is free...and he will email you a copyof that if you contact him
Make a small donation to a specified charity and you will get the version that has some extra abilities..
I think thats correct, but Bill will tell you where ive gone wrong..
Last edited by davereap; Jan 09, 2012 at 03:43 AM.
Old Jan 06, 2012, 07:31 PM
Joined Jan 2007
1,934 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by davereap View Post

With a full size image there is also the ScaleAndTile3 program from Bill Segraves even cheaper which should do the job
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/member.php?u=132593

He will email you a copy if you make a small donation to a specified charity. I think that's correct; but Bill will tell you..
Correction: program name & name of developer.

Actually, version _v3u is available for free. Version _v3v, which has extra features, such as cropping, independent X & Y axis scale factors, and ability to turn off tiling, is the version that requires a contribution to The Rotary Foundation.

Both versions can scale and tile any size image/PDF to the user's desired size. See example in message #28.

Best regards,
Bill Segraves
segraves is offline Find More Posts by segraves
Last edited by segraves; Jan 07, 2012 at 08:33 AM.
Old Jan 07, 2012, 02:11 AM
Ashford. Kent. England
Joined Feb 2005
6,908 Posts
Thanks bill for putting me right....

I am still exploring the various ways of putting a plan to paper...Using when possible all free programs

EDIT Your neat program has got to be the simplest to use.. see the review later

Ive come across loads that have been saved without thinking, and are all over the place as regards getting the size correct..

So far for me the free Gimp program is the best one improving poor scans and images..altering the artwork, by rearranging etc...
But I cant get a tiled output from it...best I can do is save in an image format and use that in another program
Last edited by davereap; Jan 09, 2012 at 03:47 AM.
Old Jan 07, 2012, 03:33 AM
Ashford. Kent. England
Joined Feb 2005
6,908 Posts
Ive now found another FREE tile printing program called PosteRazor..

http://posterazor.sourceforge.net/

Again its not totally perfect because it wont import PDF files..it needs an image file..
It is however very straight forward in use and because you have good control over the output image size it can be used for scaling up or down
Scaling accurately in PosteRazor is dependent on the original image being at the correct size

But this is not a problem as Gimp will take a pdf.. size it and save it out in many image formats...
Tif format works and as an example I will use the KK Chief glider at 60" span that Ive already saved

note the preview of the output worked ok from PosteRazor where as from publisher my PC ran out of memory..
Whatever PosteRazor is far simpler to work with compared to publisher and best of all PosteRazor is free
Last edited by davereap; Jan 09, 2012 at 03:49 AM.
Old Jan 07, 2012, 04:11 AM
Ashford. Kent. England
Joined Feb 2005
6,908 Posts
So far ....for me ...the winning system must be to use the combination of Gimp and PosteRazor when you need to make a tiled pdf with the model at a specific size.
Gimp can be very usefull in cleaning up the image, making it black and white, resizing, and getting you the best out of a poor image..you then save as a jpg or tif image file..
PosteRazor takes that image file and will print out as a tiled Pdf... again you can scale the file by inputing the final image size required..

EDIT
After trying Bill's ScaleAndTile3 reviewed later the quickest method, when youve a good image or PDF, is now found to be to use ScaleAndTile3
When you look through your files, images or pdf's, have the preview panel working.. this is good enough to see if the image is suitable..
When it is good, use Bills program
Last edited by davereap; Jan 09, 2012 at 03:55 AM.
Old Jan 07, 2012, 07:57 AM
Joined Jan 2007
1,934 Posts
Quote:

I am still exploring the various ways of putting a plan to paper...Using when possible all free programs

Your neat program has got to be the simplest, but does really on the plan being saved at its correct size..
But to be honest I am not finding it easy to use, so could do with a link to some instructions please.. I am sure its just me, but I am more used to programs that let you browse to a file for loading and similarly to the output location etc..

Ive come across loads that have been saved without thinking, and are all over the place as regards getting the size correct..

So far for me the free Gimp program is the best one for resizing images and pdf's to get the correct span required..
But I cant get a tiled output from it...best I can do is save in an image format and use that in another program
Dave, here's an example from Foamies (Scratchbuilt). As you can see, it is not necessary for the input image/PDF size to be known initially.

1. Save a copy of the PDF to your ScaleAndTile3 working folder.
2. Launch ScaleAndTile3.
3. Enter "Sumo_3D_tiled_plans.pdf", without the quotes, as the Input file.
4. Enter "Sumo_3D_single_sheet" without the quotes, as the Output file [Note that the .pdf extension is added automatically by the program].
5. Click on the "Do it!" button.
6. Open the Output file "Sumo_3D_single_sheet_p1.pdf" with Adobe Reader.
7. Use the grids that ScaleAndTile3 added to the Input PDF to measure the actual Wing Span of the Sumo as depicted in the Output file, e.g., WS (measured) = 7.1 - 1.4 = 5.7 inches.
8. Calculate the Scale Factor to produce a 30 inch WS version, e.g., Scale Factor SF = WS (desired) / WS (measured) = 30 / 5.7 = 5.263.
9. Enter "5.263" in the Scale Factor field in the ScaleAndTile3 GUI, and "Sumo_3D_single_sheet_30inchWS" in the Output field, both without the quotes, and click on the "Do it!" button.
10. Open the resulting single sheet PDF and verify, via the grids, that you got WS = 30 inches. Close the PDF in Reader, as you need to get rid of the file lock on it for the next step.
11. Check the No Grids CheckBox on the ScaleAnd Tile 3 GUI and click on the "Do it!" button to generate the final ungridded Output file and the tiled version (40 tiles) of it.
12. You'll find that the enlarged version from the PDF that was posted in the previous message did not have a vector image for the plan, so you'll see some pixelation in the output. Note that this pixelation is not caused by ScaleAndTile3, as it reproduces exactly the resolution of the input file that is presented to it.

I hope this helps you to resolve your issues.

Best regards,
Bill Segraves
Last edited by segraves; Jan 07, 2012 at 08:24 AM.
Old Jan 07, 2012, 08:41 AM
Joined Jan 2007
1,934 Posts
Quote:

I am sure its just me, but I am more used to programs that let you browse to a file for loading and similarly to the output location etc...
Good point, Dave.

Actually, during the development of the ScaleAndTile3 GUI, I found that including a file chooser put extra overhead on the program that I didn't want. This overhead made the program run very slowly on old systems, e.g., 133 MHz Toshiba laptop (now gone). So, I designed the program to run in the current directory, to get its input from the current directory, and to write its output to the current directory.

In my workflow, I keep the current (working) directory in view, with the most recent file(s) at the top of the list.

Best regards,
Bill Segraves
Old Jan 07, 2012, 02:15 PM
Ashford. Kent. England
Joined Feb 2005
6,908 Posts
Thanks Bill I will have a go at it in the morning when my brain works better... dave

edit.. Bill was kind to type out instructions, but he includes them in in the package he sends you..so its my bad for not looking..
Last edited by davereap; Jan 08, 2012 at 01:12 AM.