HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 21, 2011, 02:55 AM
United States, CA, Elk Grove
Joined Dec 2011
347 Posts
Question
Noob question about binding TX with UM and non-UM

Hi there.

I've been flying my parkzone micros at a close (but narrow) park near by and noticed that when binding the TX to the RX (brick?) on the UM's, that it only involves powering the plane and then powering/binding with the TX.

However, I just purchased my first non UM parkzone PNP, the P-47. After putting the plane together with my primary rx and remote rx (along with proper battery)...I noticed that every time I want to fly/bind that flyer, I have to use the bind plug on the rx.

Is this normal? I'm just use to the BNF UM's where there isn't a bind plug to the rx involved.

Sorry if this is a very stupid and noobish question. I just started this hobby about a month ago and am having a blast with my UM's.
Alpha_Geist is offline Find More Posts by Alpha_Geist
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 21, 2011, 06:08 AM
Confused? Who, me?
United Kingdom, England, North York
Joined Jan 2005
4,790 Posts
If you're powering the plane first then that's fine for the bind process, but once bound you must power the Tx first

I'm sorry if that's telling you something you already know. Otherwise I don't have an answer, unless you're leaving the bind plug in. Once the Tx and Rx have bound, I always remove the bind plug before I power down either Rx or Tx. Oh, and you are, after the flight, switching the plane off before you switch the Tx off?
Roger Lombard is offline Find More Posts by Roger Lombard
Old Dec 21, 2011, 12:42 PM
Kamikaze Ace
USA, FL, Lakeland
Joined Jan 2010
2,382 Posts
Ditto what Roger said, also if your tx doesn't have model memory, yep you'll have to rebind every time you wish to fly a different plane with it.
Glacier Girl is offline Find More Posts by Glacier Girl
Old Dec 21, 2011, 12:49 PM
Joined Dec 2011
347 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Lombard View Post
If you're powering the plane first then that's fine for the bind process, but once bound you must power the Tx first

I'm sorry if that's telling you something you already know. Otherwise I don't have an answer, unless you're leaving the bind plug in. Once the Tx and Rx have bound, I always remove the bind plug before I power down either Rx or Tx. Oh, and you are, after the flight, switching the plane off before you switch the Tx off?
Hello Roger and thank you for helping me out!

When I first start the whole process as if I just took my plane out of my car and put it on the grass runway with my TX in hand...

1) Open battery hatch & plug bind plug into RX
2) Power the plance/esc/RX with my Lipo (will hear beeps)
3) Wait 5 seconds & turn on my TX while holding my bind button (spektrum TX bind procedure)
4) TX and RX will bind and I remove the bind plug
5) Close battery hatch and do preflight checks

Is this the process I have to follow each time if I want to take my parkzone P-47 (and possibly non-UM planes) to the park to fly?

I noticed that once the TX and RX are bound (step 4), that if I turn off my TX and wait some time to turn it back on, the TX and RX are still bound. This should be normal, right?

I'm a bit confused when you mentioned "but once bound you must power the Tx first" Is this the same thing I mentioned above about the TX and RX still being bound after powering off the TX?

Oh, and you're right. I always power off the plane first before turning off my TX. Wouldn't want and missing fingers or anything of the like.
Old Dec 21, 2011, 01:07 PM
Veni Vidi Volavi
Sterling, VA
Joined Jan 2002
2,531 Posts
Alpha

Once the TX and RX are bound you should not have to rebind every time you want to fly. Once bound follow as below

1) TX on first

2) Plug in battery into plane and verify that surfaces and motor are functioning correctly

3) Go fly

4) After landing remove battery from plane first

5) Turn TX off

If you follow the above you should not have to rebind. The UM are setup so that if the airplane is powered first it goes into bind mode automatically. That is why you are rebinding each time. If the TX is turned on first and off last the RX remains bound to the TX.

On the larger aircraft that you have to use a bind plug on once you bind it the first time you are done. You do not have to rebind it every time you want to fly. Just turn the TX on, install the flight battery, verify surface movement and go fly. Then battery out first and TX off.

Hope this helps. If anyone notes any errors please correct my description to avoid confusion.

Brian Allen

Veni Vidi Volavi

I came I saw I flew
Brian Allen is offline Find More Posts by Brian Allen
Old Dec 21, 2011, 02:55 PM
Joined Dec 2011
347 Posts
Awesome!

Thank you very much guys (and Glacier Girl) for your help.

I was scouring through my TX manual about the binding process and I couldn't find any mention about the procedure that Brian mentioned.

After reading your posts this morning I turned on my TX first and then the plane (rx) and VOILLA! Everything was working from last night. I'm jazzed that I don't have to play with the bind plug every time I want to fly the ol' Jug.

Once again, Thanks a bunch!
Old Dec 21, 2011, 05:27 PM
Joined Sep 2010
4,001 Posts
I don't think you ever mentioned which transmitter you have. If it has model memory, you set up a name for each model - whatever size it is - and then they will all always be ready to go if you remember tx on first, plane and receiver shut off first. But if you don't have model memory transmitter Dx6i or higher, then if you go to another plane you will have to (or should) bind again each time you change planes.
bobly is offline Find More Posts by bobly
Old Dec 21, 2011, 08:32 PM
Joined Dec 2011
347 Posts
Oh yes, my transmitter has a model memory feature. I use one of the profiles for my simulator. Thanks for reminding me about the model memory as I have yet to save my P-47 bind into one of my DX8 model memory profiles.
Old Dec 22, 2011, 08:40 AM
The SEFF telescope guy.
Savannah, Ga.
Joined Apr 2006
1,111 Posts
You should be able to bind all your planes to different memories of your DX-8 and not have to bind again after that. The transmitter will remain bound to each model until you do something to chance it. Model Match makes the transmitter only talk to the plane bound to the particular memory location selected on the transmitter. If your Jug is in memory #1 it will stay there until you make the effort to deliberately put sumething else in memory #1. Your UM's can be placed in Memories 2, 3, etc. and they will stay where you put them. Make sure you give each memory the name of the plane you bind there so you are not remembering models and memory #'s. Memory 1 should be named Jug or P-47, etc. This just takes working through a menu and scrolling through the alphabet a few times.

Turn on the transmitter first always after you have your model bound. If you turn on the receiver/airplane first you have an armed, ready to fly (motor can start) airplane and no active transmitter (it's not on yet) telling it to sit quietly until it is told to take off. The transmitter comes on first not because of binding issues but for safety reasons.

I hope this helps. Have fun.
Dave Burrow is online now Find More Posts by Dave Burrow
Old Dec 22, 2011, 09:18 AM
Confused? Who, me?
United Kingdom, England, North York
Joined Jan 2005
4,790 Posts
Adding to Dave's point I always create the model memory and set as many parameters as I can before attempting to bind. So it would be: set up model memory and check that that model is the one currently selected. Switch Tx off, switch plane on and then enter normal bind procedure.

A word of caution to all just in case you ever have the sort of stupidity attack that I'm prone to. I had a Hobbyzone Champ (micro) become unbound the other day (don't ask, but it involved a roof girder) during an indoor flying session. I set the Tx to the correct memory and rebound (rebinded?) the Champ to the Tx and bingo we were away. After a moment or two someone came up to tap me on the shoulder: "Did I know there was a helicopter flying round behind me?"

Learning point #355

If you don't switch off/power down one of the autobind PZ/e-flite planes/helis when you've finished with it, it'll sit there (in this case an eflite blade micro heli) crouched on the table waiting for you to carry out a bind procedure and then it'll join in the fun. Had I just changed memories from the heli to the Champ that would have been fine. But when I re-bound the Champ the "active" heli behind me bound to the same memory. Woo hoo! Fortunately no animals or humans were hurt in the course of this experiment. Only my pride which took a severe beating from several friends all keen to hoot at me!
Roger Lombard is offline Find More Posts by Roger Lombard
Old Dec 22, 2011, 01:23 PM
Joined Dec 2011
347 Posts
Dave,

I did exactly just that! It makes things a bit easier. My only complaint would be the naming limitations on the TX. The model memory names are limited to a set number of characters.

You mentioned that an airplane could start "flying" if you first power it up, rather than the TX first? I'm curious as to how this is possible if the TX isn't on? (Not something I want to happen. I'm powering up my bound TX 1st!)

Roger,

That's some good advice! Would hate to be interrupted flying your plane when you get some heli blades whizzing past your ears (or into them)!