SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
This thread is privately moderated by burkefj, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Dec 21, 2011, 02:43 AM
X-15 Jockey
Joined Oct 2006
2,440 Posts
Discussion
Large X-15

I decided to do an upscale of my X-15. The tail pieces are also laminated 6mm grooved with the torque tube inside. Fuse is two pieces of 6mm spliced and laminated. The top view has a 1/4" spar hidden in the laminated pieces. Took 3.5 sheets of 6mm and 3 sheets of 3mm. Total airframe weight is 18.5 ounces.

Update 12/21 Slotted and tabbed the fuse/wing, mounted the rail buttons on a spruce slat inlayed into the side, laminated some styrene on the nose and tail for landing skids, mounted a 29mm mount and got the bottom glued in place.

Just need to round the edges of the wing and top fuse, glue on the top fuse and install the electronics.

Update 12/26, finished the model and electronics install:

Got in two flights today. First flight on a G-25 was majestic, it chuffed a couple of times like they tend to do, and then a nice graceful boost to around 600 feet, pitched over and hit the glide trim, and it was perfect, nice and slow and plenty of authority to flare for a tail first touchdown.

The second flight I liked a bit better on a G33, much more growl and faster boost, again arrow straight, pitch over and nice glide. The 6' rail worked perfectly.

All in all, I'm very happy and will now do the painting and panel lines. Thanks to John for digging the motors out of the archives/vault. Only got one cell phone picture that is blurry on the G-25. I think the perfect motor will be a G-40.

Update 12/29/2011 Finished painting and applying panel lines with silver sharpie. Just waiting for the paint to outgas a bit before doing the markings.

Update 1/2/2012 Completed the markings.

Update 1/07/2012 Did a new flight on a g-40, the perfect motor, good altitude, fast perfectly straight boost, really gentle glide, nice flame and sound.

Here's the flight video on a G-40 aerotech 29mm rocket motor

Scratch built Large X-15 rocket boosted RC glider (1 min 16 sec)

Update 10/22/2102

Got a chance to fly it on an aerotech 24mm F-32T motor, and while a lower boost, was nice and straight and they are a lot cheaper, weigh 2 oz less, so I can drop 2 oz from the nose and reduce weight to 32 oz rtf. I have velcro attachable nose weight so I can simply add or subtract as needed for the motor I'm going to fly. The G-40 is still the best bang for the buck, followed by the G-38.

Update 11/27/2013

For anyone wanting to build a large version like this, you can start with the standard X-15 plans on my plans page and multiply everything by 1.7x Simply double laminate all pieces with 6mm depron for the fuse and wing. I used a 1/4" carbon tube as a wing spar mid mounted, and a 3/16" or so carbon tube for the tail pivot tube. I used appropriate tubing for the tail pieces to fit the 3/16" carbon and used metal gear hitec mini servos and pushrods with carbon tubes surrounding them to give them stiffness and allow me to move the servos further forward. CG location is about 1/2" behind the wing/fuse joint for boost. All controls neutral for boost and about 1/2" uptrim for glide. I used rail buttons for launching and a rail, rail buttons go through the fuse sideways and I used a 1" diameter .04 styrene disk on both sides to reinforce the rail button and blind nut for support. Works great. I hid some nose weight between the laminations. I put some velcro on the front so I can velcro lead weight as needed for the motors I run, will go to about 400' with an F-32 or 300' on an F-26 or about 600' on a G-38 or 700' on a G-40. I did put a 1/4" ply disk at the forward end of the motor tube to give something solid for the rocket motor to push against. Otherwise construction and setup are the same as for the smaller model. It boosts hands off, nice and straight, just need to push over at the top after burnout to keep the speed up and hit the glide trim. After that just glide and setup for landing, will flare quite high even at slow speed.

Frank
burkefj is offline Find More Posts by burkefj
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by burkefj; Nov 27, 2013 at 11:56 AM.
to remove ads between posts