HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 05, 2012, 08:54 AM
Caravan driver
Lanseria airport South Africa
Joined Oct 2005
379 Posts
Make molds and plugs already!!! You want to really make money? turn this into a simple to build glass molded kit - there are far too few affordable and easy to build kits for easily accessible and affordable systems ....mate you're sitting on a gold mine! Just ask 'Byron' !!
wingnutzster is offline Find More Posts by wingnutzster
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 05, 2012, 10:54 AM
Swat Team Member
LV, NV
Joined Apr 2003
605 Posts
I Would not Wish Molds and Plugs on anybody.

Way too much work while to little reward unless, you plan on starting your own business and Jet manufacturing company. Takes hours just to lay up some simple parts, not to mention finding good help. I think Andy builds for the fun factor and the feeling of an accomplishment, seeing your own scratch built model take to the air. The Production rate turns the fun into work, and impatient customers beating down your door, who needs it? Keep it fun Andy I enjoy watching this build...

P. Richards aka SwatTeam
P. Richards is offline Find More Posts by P. Richards
Old Jun 05, 2012, 11:01 AM
Have Fun! Land, Sea or Air
United States, TX, Austin
Joined Jul 2006
1,352 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by P. Richards View Post
Way too much work while to little reward unless, you plan on starting your own business and Jet manufacturing company. Takes hours just to lay up some simple parts, not to mention finding good help. I think Andy builds for the fun factor and the feeling of an accomplishment, seeing your own scratch built model take to the air. The Production rate turns the fun into work, and impatient customers beating down your door, who needs it? Keep it fun Andy I enjoy watching this build...

P. Richards aka SwatTeam
Well said Mr. Richards.
jetcaptain is offline Find More Posts by jetcaptain
Old Jun 05, 2012, 11:02 AM
Caravan driver
Joined Oct 2005
379 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by P. Richards View Post

P. Richards aka SwatTeam
I agree I propably way overstated it, there is a hell of a lot of work involved in producing even a short kit but yet with the right design it has the potential to be quite rewarding. I too prefer building for myself but I always imagined the right design will come along that would make a previously unattainable facet of the hobby accessible to far more people and possibly open up doors for me to develop my designs further. "Sitting on a gold mine" is as ridiculous a thing as I have ever said...I know first hand how difficult that industry can be.
Old Jun 05, 2012, 12:08 PM
deltas are cool
Tehachapi ,CA.
Joined Apr 2006
20,016 Posts
P you read my mind it would cost well over a grand for the materials to make a mold ....and about a years worth of 2-4 hrs a day .
AIR SALLY is online now Find More Posts by AIR SALLY
Old Jun 05, 2012, 12:10 PM
“Do it Right The First Time!”
United States, MN, Hermantown
Joined Dec 2008
4,429 Posts
From some of the threads I' have read, where guys have made their own molds, the time and money, not counting R&D, just not worth it. A prettty good way to go insane and loose your A$$, at the same time!

" Just ask 'Byron' !! "
CoolerByTheLake is online now Find More Posts by CoolerByTheLake
Old Jun 05, 2012, 12:13 PM
KK4TYF /Baron Von Nick
USA, VA, Spotsylvania
Joined Jan 2011
3,848 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolerByTheLake View Post
From some of the threads I' have read, where guys have made their own molds, the time and money, not counting R&D, just not worth it. A prettty good way to go insane and loose your A$$, at the same time!

" Just ask 'Byron' !! "
I hear ya...i got a great deal on a staggerwing made by byron....beautiful plane, but it cost a lot for its' day, and the company went under eventually.
Endlesslag is online now Find More Posts by Endlesslag
Old Jun 05, 2012, 05:24 PM
St.Catharines, Ontario
Joined Jan 2009
10,377 Posts
The only other way is to have someone do it for you. The problem with that is model size and more importantly, marketability of the model. We all drool over it and want one, but we are just a fraction of the community worldwide. Any company would question the sales before entering a partnership such as this. I think it would be more prudent for him to share templates, etc., on a one on one basis and ask for a few bucks for his trouble.

Rich
LuvEvolution7 is offline Find More Posts by LuvEvolution7
Old Jun 05, 2012, 05:54 PM
I fly Helis too!
United Kingdom, London
Joined Dec 2010
6,759 Posts
Rich maiden that Darned Pitts already!
Keenan smith is offline Find More Posts by Keenan smith
Old Jun 05, 2012, 11:32 PM
Tow Dog.
United States, CO, Hotchkiss
Joined Oct 2006
1,586 Posts
I was just kidding about the rich and famous, Andy! You'll have the coolest EDF on the block!
Like a Renoir, it will be priceless!
Pilatuspc12 is offline Find More Posts by Pilatuspc12
Old Jun 06, 2012, 12:54 AM
Capt. Z
Tonopah, Nevada
Joined Dec 2004
2,505 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilatuspc12 View Post
Like a Renoir, it will be priceless!

I won't have to cut my ear off or anything will I ? oh wait that was Van Gogh

Well I think the plane is finally ready to fly. I went through everything I can think of. Set it all up, CG, control throws, retracts test, all of it..I think she is ready.

Due to the weight I add a third wing spar. A 3/4" diamiter aluminum tube that runs through the fuselage and extends 10.5" in each wing panel with ply formers as supports, and ply ribs in the wing. That should do it. I hope
falcon5 is offline Find More Posts by falcon5
Old Jun 06, 2012, 06:40 AM
RC Fanatic
USA, NC, Greensboro
Joined Mar 2002
1,269 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by falcon5 View Post
I won't have to cut my ear off or anything will I ? oh wait that was Van Gogh

Well I think the plane is finally ready to fly. I went through everything I can think of. Set it all up, CG, control throws, retracts test, all of it..I think she is ready.

Due to the weight I add a third wing spar. A 3/4" diamiter aluminum tube that runs through the fuselage and extends 10.5" in each wing panel with ply formers as supports, and ply ribs in the wing. That should do it. I hope
We will all be with you in spirit the day you break her cherry.............
Reco is offline Find More Posts by Reco
Old Jun 06, 2012, 06:59 AM
Caravan driver
Joined Oct 2005
379 Posts
I suddenly got butterflies and shortness of breath - holie cow I am getting nervous for you!! Good luck man, I can not wait to see how well she handles.
Old Jun 06, 2012, 07:25 AM
“Do it Right The First Time!”
United States, MN, Hermantown
Joined Dec 2008
4,429 Posts
I think it's widly know, that the maiden flight will be kept a secret, till after the fact. Now with Andys job as an AirTrafficContoller, maybe a slip of the tongue, chatting with the boys, and it gets out. Picture this Andy, all by his lonesome at the dry lake bed, plane all preped and ready to go, and all of a sudden at his "6" comes the real deal! Farfetched--YES! But it makes a great story.
CoolerByTheLake is online now Find More Posts by CoolerByTheLake
Old Jun 06, 2012, 08:05 AM
Caravan driver
Joined Oct 2005
379 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolerByTheLake View Post
I think it's widly know, that the maiden flight will be kept a secret, till after the fact. Now with Andys job as an AirTrafficContoller, maybe a slip of the tongue, chatting with the boys, and it gets out. Picture this Andy, all by his lonesome at the dry lake bed, plane all preped and ready to go, and all of a sudden at his "6" comes the real deal! Farfetched--YES! But it makes a great story.
Wow you should write books or script movies with an imagination like that!