SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old May 31, 2012, 07:50 AM
FoamyFactory.com
USA, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Nov 2001
4,344 Posts
Wow... Wow... Wow... All I can say is Wow...
Tim H. is online now Find More Posts by Tim H.
to remove ads between posts
Old May 31, 2012, 07:10 PM
Yank Pilot
United States, CO, Hotchkiss
Joined Oct 2006
1,672 Posts
What's this, I smell?
Pilatuspc12 is online now Find More Posts by Pilatuspc12
Old May 31, 2012, 11:37 PM
Austin, Texas
Joined Dec 2005
254 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilatuspc12 View Post
What's this, I smell?
Can you say 1:2.5 scale? Oh Yeah. LOL
bd5wingnut is offline Find More Posts by bd5wingnut
Old Jun 01, 2012, 04:03 AM
Caravan driver
Lanseria airport South Africa
Joined Oct 2005
418 Posts
What a privilege for me to have the opportunity to witness a dream being turned, masterfully into reality!! Unbelievable skill - SUBSCRIBED
wingnutzster is offline Find More Posts by wingnutzster
Old Jun 01, 2012, 06:19 AM
Caravan driver
Joined Oct 2005
418 Posts
I posted a thread in this category where I asked if anyone would like to donate or sell and ship some foams to me here in SA, for my workshops where kids are introduced to flight and build their own 2 channel job. I wish with all my heart I cold get my hands on your gorgeous blue and pink foams. When I look at the mastery of builders like these two I am so inspired I want to scream! However I do have some form of build keeping me unbelievably busy and in the workshop early every morning and late every night.....

RV-7A tip-up, quickbuild at 2850 long and lonely hours so far.

...yours is big yes.....but mine is bigger!! hahaha - kidding. This is a life long dream coming true for me but you would not believe the amount of intricate work required, there are many times I wish I had the materials to get stuck into a large jet or scale build like yours to take my mind off this metal and rivets....I would trade aluminium dust for foam dust any day!

That said I can tell you quite confidently that if you haven't tried it already you would make amazing fullsize builders, with your skill and attention to detail I can only imagine the quality airplanes that would result!

I humbly admire everything you build, and can not wait to finish this bird so that I can get back to my first love of scratch building!
Last edited by wingnutzster; Jun 01, 2012 at 06:29 AM.
Old Jun 01, 2012, 07:40 AM
Georgia, USA
Joined Nov 2010
27 Posts
Bearings for large plastic wheels

Hello Andy,

Regarding the large Williams Bros. wheels, I have used them on several large scale aircraft. In my experience, they work well with heavy scale aircraft on pavement or grass. There is a common problem many of us have experienced with these wheels, and fortunately there is a simple and inexpensive fix:

The problem is the large wheels we use with plastic hubs quickly develop a wobble from the axle hole getting progressively larger.

The simple fix is an oil-lite bearing sold at some Ace Hardware stores. The smallest inner diameter they sell is 1/4", which happens to be the most common axle size we use on large-scale airplanes. The 1/4" ID bearings are sold in a thin-wall version which is 3/4" long, and a slightly thicker wall version which is 1" long.

If the local Ace Hardware stocks these bearings, they are with the bushings and miscellaneous hardware, in one of the pull-out drawers next to the various nuts and bolts and washers. At the store where I found them they were labeled as "Servlite Bearings."

In case you are unfamiliar with this bearing, it looks like a porous bronze bushing material and is oil impregnated. In service a small amount of oil can be applied to the axle periodically to keep the bearing lubricated.

The 3/4" length is suitable for many of the larger Williams Brothers wheels, while the 1" length is good for many of the larger DuBro wheels. The 1" bearings are Ace Hardware item no. B380 and the 3/4" are no. B335.

To install these bearings, square up the wheel on a drill press, and progressively drill out the axle hole to the bearing OD. The bearings have an OD of 5/16 and the 1 bearings have an OD of 3/8. By drilling the plastic to the OD, you will find the bearing can be easily pressed into the axle hole. I have not had any problems with the bearing working loose from the wheel.

Looking forward to that flight video of the T-38.

Sam
samp68 is offline Find More Posts by samp68
Old Jun 01, 2012, 10:32 AM
Capt. Z
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Dec 2004
2,568 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wingnutzster View Post
I posted a thread in this category where I asked if anyone would like to donate or sell and ship some foams to me here in SA, for my workshops where kids are introduced to flight and build their own 2 channel job. I wish with all my heart I cold get my hands on your gorgeous blue and pink foams. !
Wow that's an awesome RV7 your building. My girlfriend just got back from South Africa on vacation. I could look into the cost of shipping some blue foam to you. They come in 8 foot long sheets so I would have to cut them down. A one inch thick 8 foot by 2 foot sheet weighs 2.5 pounds so I would imagine shipping a few cut down sheets to South Africa would cost a few bucks. Since it's for the kids I will donate the foam if maybe you cover the shipping. PM me..

Quote:
Originally Posted by samp68 View Post
Hello Andy,

The problem is the large wheels we use with plastic hubs quickly develop a wobble from the axle hole getting progressively larger.

The simple fix is an oil-lite bearing sold at some Ace Hardware stores.
Sam

Great info on the bearing set up. I will head on over to Ace Hardware this weekend and see if they carry those bearings. Thanks for taking the time to write all that info on it...Great stuff!!!
falcon5 is offline Find More Posts by falcon5
Last edited by falcon5; Jun 01, 2012 at 10:39 AM.
Old Jun 01, 2012, 11:09 AM
Caravan driver
Joined Oct 2005
418 Posts
You SO have a PM kind sir!!
Old Jun 02, 2012, 12:15 AM
michigan jet guy
USA, MI, Caledonia
Joined Jul 2007
1,083 Posts
hey andy there is a little write up bout your 38 in this months fan section of flying models rc mag. Just happen to see it while at the hobby shop. Small picture and caption. Phil
mrshea is offline Find More Posts by mrshea
Old Jun 03, 2012, 10:24 AM
Yank Pilot
Joined Oct 2006
1,672 Posts
This is cool, you're becoming famous, Andy! And a nice guy also.
Old Jun 03, 2012, 03:48 PM
deltas are cool
Tehachapi ,CA.
Joined Apr 2006
20,794 Posts
he's allready both nice Andy
AIR SALLY is online now Find More Posts by AIR SALLY
Old Jun 04, 2012, 08:19 AM
Joined Jun 2012
1 Posts
I am flying T38 from Skymaster at 32 pounds and it lands great at a fraction of the size of yours. Yours will land at a nice slow speed with nose high. Remember that 40% of the lift comes from the fuse so dont let anyone tell you this will have to land fast. It wont. My friend Don Yockey scratch build one of balsa and sheeted it on Twin ducted fan at 10 feet and it flew perfect for years. You should consider molding this fuse and producing a glass fuse and sell.

Good luck with your project.
Kevin
KevinThoele is offline Find More Posts by KevinThoele
Old Jun 04, 2012, 09:48 AM
United States, TX, Grand Prairie
Joined Nov 2005
5,709 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinThoele View Post
....You should consider molding this fuse and producing a glass fuse and sell...
..or producing something that can help other foam builders get the accuracy in curves etc.

The build on this is fantastic, I would love to read about flight times...

One one of my 120mm sized jets I haven't put more than 3000mah back into my packs since I've flying it so light...I can make turns that I wouldn't dare make even with some foamies.
erh7771 is online now Find More Posts by erh7771
Old Jun 04, 2012, 09:49 PM
Capt. Z
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Dec 2004
2,568 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrshea View Post
hey andy there is a little write up bout your 38 in this months fan section of flying models rc mag. Just happen to see it while at the hobby shop. Small picture and caption. Phil
Cool, thanks. My girlfriend picked up a copy for me, never had my name in a magazine before..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilatuspc12 View Post
This is cool, you're becoming famous, Andy! And a nice guy also.
Just don't tell anyone, I don't want to ruin my reputation..

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinThoele View Post
I am flying T38 from Skymaster at 32 pounds and it lands great at a fraction of the size of yours. Yours will land at a nice slow speed with nose high. Remember that 40% of the lift comes from the fuse so dont let anyone tell you this will have to land fast. It wont. My friend Don Yockey scratch build one of balsa and sheeted it on Twin ducted fan at 10 feet and it flew perfect for years. You should consider molding this fuse and producing a glass fuse and sell.

Good luck with your project.
Kevin
Great info Kevin..makes me feel better,
Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by erh7771 View Post
..or producing something that can help other foam builders get the accuracy in curves etc.

The curves are pretty easy actualy as it's just placing the foam on the 3 view drawing to get the box airframe then rounding it all out by sanding a little, stepping back and takeing a look, sand a little more take a look repet until you think...yeah looks pretty close
falcon5 is offline Find More Posts by falcon5
Old Jun 05, 2012, 08:39 AM
Yank Pilot
Joined Oct 2006
1,672 Posts
TLAR and SWAG. My favorite acronyms! You know, Andy, when this thing gets on youtube, you'll become RICH AND FAMOUS!

Randy