HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 29, 2012, 03:28 PM
Capt. Z
Tonopah, Nevada
Joined Dec 2004
2,564 Posts
Little warm out today so put the EZ up for some shade and gona hang out in the yard and do T-38 stuff. What kind of stuff?? I don't know just stuff...T-38 stuff..
falcon5 is offline Find More Posts by falcon5
to remove ads between posts
Old May 29, 2012, 04:27 PM
Capt. Z
Tonopah, Nevada
Joined Dec 2004
2,564 Posts
Thrust test

So far my pull test numbers are 11 to 12 pounds pull on the digital scale per fan. Batts are not quite fully charged at 39 volts. I also may take a bit of a hit due to being at 6000 feet above sea level. Meter read 3800 watts 103amps. 39 volts on the batts.

I found a good substitute for my foam main wheels that 40 pounds was just too much for. I need something light so I tryed these vintage wheels for old timer airplanes. Just a shade under 6" big but only weigh 4 oz a wheel so the electric retracts can take them up no prob.
Old May 29, 2012, 05:35 PM
Crystal River Fl.
Joined Jul 2008
3,681 Posts
Looks fantastic Andy!!!! Now put some plastic in those canopy frames and lets get this baby in the air!!!!!! w.
Waltjg is offline Find More Posts by Waltjg
Old May 29, 2012, 06:09 PM
DELTAS RULE
tehachapi, CA
Joined Jan 2006
22,004 Posts
sorry gramps, it is very close though. i think i might accualy be able to make the pulls with our vac box, so that would cut alot of time off the turn around. i just need to moddify our box a little bit...
you need to remember im not retired lol. im away from home 5 days a week and i have to cram a whole weeks worth of chores and time with the family into 2 days lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Morgan View Post
Oh man, that's not good. That means it's still in CA.

J
corsair nut is online now Find More Posts by corsair nut
Old May 29, 2012, 06:14 PM
DELTAS RULE
tehachapi, CA
Joined Jan 2006
22,004 Posts
those thrust numbers look great for 6000 ft plus beeing installed with super long tail pipes! i know your worried, but i think its going to be just fine!

funny, i was looking at those wheels on tower too. the real one has really skinny tires too. dont be worried the weathering looks awesome wingman.
corsair nut is online now Find More Posts by corsair nut
Old May 29, 2012, 06:30 PM
Capt. Z
Tonopah, Nevada
Joined Dec 2004
2,564 Posts
Thanks wingman, you da man. I still have weeks worth of work yet so no pressure from me. I have my attack dogs to do that for me.

Wingman, probably thinking never again will I enter into a duel build were I have to actually build and make parts when the other guy just has to buy parts.

Hey got any pics of the pug?
Last edited by falcon5; May 29, 2012 at 06:50 PM.
Old May 29, 2012, 07:01 PM
Member 120mph Club
New Bern, North Carolina, United States
Joined Oct 2004
12,445 Posts
Crap, that thing almost needs its own zip code! Was it difficult to get the DMV to give you plates?? LOL
ATIS is offline Find More Posts by ATIS
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: maxford Nieuport 1/5th Scale
Old May 30, 2012, 07:20 AM
Now in TN!
Chapel Hill, TN USA
Joined Apr 2001
24,307 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by corsair nut View Post
sorry gramps, it is very close though. i think i might accualy be able to make the pulls with our vac box, so that would cut alot of time off the turn around. i just need to moddify our box a little bit...
you need to remember im not retired lol. im away from home 5 days a week and i have to cram a whole weeks worth of chores and time with the family into 2 days lol.
Yea, I know. I'm just getting anxious and feel the need to keep the cattle prod working to get this done.

J
J Morgan is offline Find More Posts by J Morgan
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: OV-10A Bronco from Palmer Plans
Old May 30, 2012, 10:03 AM
Official Boat Bum
United States, NV, Reno
Joined Mar 2000
7,252 Posts
The only complication I see with the skinny tires will be on flying it off the playa. You will have some extra gear drag on the hard dirt. I notice this when I fly my (tiny 25 pound) A-4 off hard pack dry lake at 5000 feet (8500 foot density altitude on most mornings). I have a noticeably longer ground run and rotating is a little more of an effort with the increased drag moment at the wheels but it's manageable. I bet that's just something you are probably already catering for!

As an option, would you be able to use one of the runways/taxiways/ramp areas at TPH?? Last time I was there however I did see a lot of decomposed parts of ramp with rocks and pebbles in some areas . . maybe better off on the dry lake bed after all.
Eddie P is online now Find More Posts by Eddie P
RCG Plus Member
Old May 30, 2012, 11:12 AM
Capt. Z
Tonopah, Nevada
Joined Dec 2004
2,564 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie P View Post
As an option, would you be able to use one of the runways/taxiways/ramp areas at TPH?? maybe better off on the dry lake bed after all.
Good info thanks Eddie, Yeah Mark the airport manager lets me fly off the taxiway and I used to fly there all the time until I found the lake bed. I do like the paved surface better but he told me if I ever take out a taxiway light I buy it

Here is a short video of me landing on the TPH airport taxiway a few years ago with a pusher F-4.

F-4 004.MP4 (1 min 35 sec)
Old May 30, 2012, 12:36 PM
DFC~ We Do Flyin' Right
USA, GA, Atlanta
Joined Nov 2008
14,375 Posts
Sweet landing, right down the line!

What's going to be the next project on the table Falcon? Full scale?
bsbauman is online now Find More Posts by bsbauman
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Bush Pilots- AK
Old May 30, 2012, 02:16 PM
Capt. Z
Tonopah, Nevada
Joined Dec 2004
2,564 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsbauman View Post
What's going to be the next project on the table Falcon? Full scale?
A quick build of a Flyfly Sabre then a Giant scale Rare Bear.
Old May 30, 2012, 02:31 PM
DFC~ We Do Flyin' Right
USA, GA, Atlanta
Joined Nov 2008
14,375 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by falcon5 View Post
Sweet! The flyfly, is that the Super Sabre? I had my eye on that for a while, but ended up with the Venom F86 instead- I could not turn down the price... but the F100 is one of my all-time favorites, I look forward to seeing it come together.
bsbauman is online now Find More Posts by bsbauman
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Bush Pilots- AK
Old May 30, 2012, 02:36 PM
United States, TX, Grand Prairie
Joined Nov 2005
5,708 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by falcon5 View Post
F100 or F86?

You'd love the F100 no doubt
erh7771 is online now Find More Posts by erh7771
Old May 30, 2012, 07:03 PM
Official Boat Bum
United States, NV, Reno
Joined Mar 2000
7,252 Posts
That F-4 Pusher is so cool!! But I hadn't realized what a perfect pusher an F-4 is with those anhedral stabs making for the perfect prop guard!

PS, pretty sure Andy is doing an F-86 with Rodger's inlet mod.
Eddie P is online now Find More Posts by Eddie P
RCG Plus Member