HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 28, 2012, 12:14 AM
Nelson, B.C.
Joined Jun 2008
150 Posts
Is the huge flat bottom fuselage being taken into consideration for the effective wing area?
chumbly is offline Find More Posts by chumbly
to remove ads between posts
Old May 28, 2012, 01:48 AM
Joined Jan 2010
2,876 Posts
What is the actual wing loading of that model, does anyone know? It was only my guess when I said 170grams per decimeter sq. (aprx. 55oz/foot sq.) it may be lot less or lot more. I always work on facts, then just saying, "she'll be right mate", Joe.
jofro is offline Find More Posts by jofro
Old May 28, 2012, 05:50 PM
Pursuit of Happiness
Brentwood, California
Joined Jul 2007
7,220 Posts
I think your going to be great at the weight Andy
Take my Yellow Twin F-18 it's going to be 40 to 42 pounds.... but this model has flown from 28 pounds as a glow ducted fan all the way up to 50+ pounds as a fully detailed turbine. They all look to fly nice

just the heavier you are the faster landing will be and you won't want to get to slow.... what is your watts? and watts per pound?

I've flown scale jets like my TJ A-4 as low as 230 watts per pound and sport jets all the way up to 350 watts per pound.... scale jets fly nice in the 230 to 270 watts per pound range.

I have almost 12000 watts for my yellow twin...so even if I hit 42 pounds I'll be at 285 watts per pound which is over kill

Over the years I have found watts per pound to work very well to give a good idea of performance even with jets.... many don't agree... but it's served me very well
Ron101 is offline Find More Posts by Ron101
Old May 28, 2012, 06:25 PM
Capt. Z
Tonopah, Nevada
Joined Dec 2004
2,564 Posts
Hi Ron,

My watts per pound are 225 but hope it's enough to get wind under the wings for a maiden .
falcon5 is offline Find More Posts by falcon5
Last edited by falcon5; May 28, 2012 at 06:38 PM.
Old May 28, 2012, 10:11 PM
Capt. Z
Tonopah, Nevada
Joined Dec 2004
2,564 Posts
Basic canopy framework started.
Last edited by falcon5; May 28, 2012 at 10:59 PM.
Old May 28, 2012, 10:18 PM
Fontana,Ca.
Joined Aug 2005
154 Posts
It is amazing how you seem to make it look so easy to build with foam! That looks great. I stopped by Home Depot yesterday and they are going to see if they can order 1 or 2 sheets each of the 1" and or 2" foam for a reasonable price.
Great build, more pictures please.
Don
amtpdb is online now Find More Posts by amtpdb
Old May 28, 2012, 10:19 PM
St.Catharines, Ontario
Joined Jan 2009
10,377 Posts
Awesome!!!!!!!!!
LuvEvolution7 is offline Find More Posts by LuvEvolution7
Old May 28, 2012, 10:26 PM
Do it Right, the first time!
United States, MN, Hermantown
Joined Dec 2008
5,387 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by amtpdb View Post
It is amazing how you seem to make it look so easy to build with foam! That looks great. I stopped by Home Depot yesterday and they are going to see if they can order 1 or 2 sheets each of the 1" and or 2" foam for a reasonable price.
Great build, more pictures please.
Don
I wish you luck on getting your foam. Up here in northern Minnesota we have the 1" and 2" foam all year long. I wanted to order some 4" pink, but only way to get it was to buy a whole bundle. Lots of foam and darn pricy. Best of luck.
A 4'x8' x2"sheet here is $23.88
CoolerByTheLake is offline Find More Posts by CoolerByTheLake
Old May 29, 2012, 12:02 AM
deltas are cool
Tehachapi ,CA.
Joined Apr 2006
20,771 Posts
i saw the canopy plug today ...it's looking really nice
AIR SALLY is online now Find More Posts by AIR SALLY
Old May 29, 2012, 04:51 AM
Now in TN!
Chapel Hill, TN USA
Joined Apr 2001
24,319 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AIR SALLY View Post
i saw the canopy plug today ...it's looking really nice
Oh man, that's not good. That means it's still in CA.

J
J Morgan is offline Find More Posts by J Morgan
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: OV-10A Bronco from Palmer Plans
Old May 29, 2012, 09:14 AM
Oshkosh, WI
Joined Nov 2002
2,469 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by falcon5 View Post
Basic canopy framework started.
Hey Falcon, those frames look real nice! Can you please give details of their construction? TIA!

Phil
PhilLin is offline Find More Posts by PhilLin
Old May 29, 2012, 09:52 AM
Capt. Z
Tonopah, Nevada
Joined Dec 2004
2,564 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilLin View Post
Hey Falcon, those frames look real nice! Can you please give details of their construction? TIA!

Phil
Hi Phil,

One might say I dug around for some scrap 1" blue foam and an x-acto knife, sanding block and sand paper glued to round pipe with some banjo music playin' in the background and a piece of straw in my teeth I sat out in me backyard and I took to whittlin' ..:
Old May 29, 2012, 11:17 AM
it wasn't me flying that plane
United States, NC, Wilmington
Joined Mar 2011
704 Posts
As mentioned I too think this thing is going to fly incredibly well Falcon 5 ...
Remember this thing is a giant..plenty out there with much higher wing load..and being so big its going to have great momentum...fly iy like you always fly em'..
Another person eagerly awaiting first flight...
Also need to mention all the great work..build and detail...been a pleasure to watch it all happen..just top notch foam work..I'm also a styrospray fan now and think the benefit far outweighs the weight..(did I say that right)..
Anyweigh,good luck Andy
Hover or die is offline Find More Posts by Hover or die
Old May 29, 2012, 01:00 PM
Oshkosh, WI
Joined Nov 2002
2,469 Posts
Quote:
Hi Phil,

One might say I dug around for some scrap 1" blue foam and an x-acto knife, sanding block and sand paper glued to round pipe with some banjo music playin' in the background and a piece of straw in my teeth I sat out in me backyard and I took to whittlin' ..:
Geez, & I thought you made some fancy layups over some canopy plugs

Seriously, without the plugs, that's some fancy whitlin

Phil
PhilLin is offline Find More Posts by PhilLin
Old May 29, 2012, 03:06 PM
Official Boat Bum
United States, NV, Reno
Joined Mar 2000
7,256 Posts
Quote:
Hi Phil,

Aaaaayuugh. When Andy get's ta' whit'lin... well there's no tellin' what he's fixin' to do. Now give the boy some air and a little room to git to gittin' on with it.
Eddie P is offline Find More Posts by Eddie P
RCG Plus Member