SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Apr 22, 2012, 02:33 AM
DELTAS RULE
tehachapi, CA
Joined Jan 2006
22,827 Posts
oh man..i might need some panther plans....though 85" at this point is a little small lol.
corsair nut is online now Find More Posts by corsair nut
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 22, 2012, 05:00 PM
United States, TX, Schertz
Joined Mar 2006
1,575 Posts
Brent:

Perhaps if someone designs and sells a larger (maybe 7" or 8") fan the large Panther might work. I think the Panther and the F-16 could be made fairly light using Andy's blue foam method. You could make this plane light and fly it with at 127 mm fan. I have always liked the Panther as it "presents" very well. Incidentally, since I posted the specs and availablity of the plans I have sent three sets of A-10 plans, one set of Panther and one set of F-16 plans out to RCG readers.
Maybe Andy is onto something and we can get some of these big planes in the air. I remember when Dean, Ivan, Herb and I went to the Southwest Jet rally in Lubbock TX in the mid 1990's and flew three of the four big A-10's in formation and it was impressive. We lined the four A-10's up on the runway wingtip to wingtip and they stretched 40 ft. across the runway. Really impressive.

Ed
A10pilot is online now Find More Posts by A10pilot
Old Apr 22, 2012, 11:37 PM
DELTAS RULE
tehachapi, CA
Joined Jan 2006
22,827 Posts
how much for a set of panther plans...??
corsair nut is online now Find More Posts by corsair nut
Old Apr 22, 2012, 11:42 PM
Fly it like you STOL it!
United States, FL, Daytona Beach
Joined Jan 2011
4,063 Posts
Jeez, making my project list every longer.

Glider of some sort
Giant scale staggerwing e-conversion
small super cub overhaul
Add scale details to 6' cub
Build giant foam f-16C

You guys are just helping me add on
Endlesslag is offline Find More Posts by Endlesslag
Old Apr 23, 2012, 12:05 AM
Faith in Lift.
United States, CO, Hotchkiss
Joined Oct 2006
1,719 Posts
Wow Andy! Nice video! It makes one want to get into EDFs! That's a great way to show off the local flaura and fauna. Your video brings back memories, Thanks,

Randy
Pilatuspc12 is offline Find More Posts by Pilatuspc12
Old Apr 23, 2012, 08:16 AM
Joined Mar 2006
1,575 Posts
C/N:
Plans are free. I can send the files electronically and you can get them printed at a local reproduction shop. I would avoid places like Kinko's or Office Max as they are rather pricey. When I had a set of plans reproduced at Kinko's one time they charged me about $1.25 per sq. ft. It cost me about $156 to get the plans reproduced.
Repro shops typically charge about $.25 to .50 per sq. ft. The A-10 plans are 108 sq. ft so finding a repro place that is reasonably priced per sq. ft.is key. As I stated in a previous post, if someone can't find a shop to print the plans at a reasonable cost I can get them repro'd and shipped to a very reasonable price. As mentioned previously, the files are free but if you need me to copy and ship them I would charge only for my actual costs.

Ed
Old Apr 23, 2012, 08:19 AM
michigan jet guy
USA, MI, Caledonia
Joined Jul 2007
1,110 Posts
hey thanks for the plans ed. Shopping for a fan unit now for the panther. Phil
mrshea is offline Find More Posts by mrshea
Old Apr 23, 2012, 09:34 AM
Joined Mar 2006
1,575 Posts
Guys:

Since I made the offer of the Josh Harel plans, I have sent out more that 15 sets of plans. Majority were for the A-10. I sent out about 5 sets for the F-9F and one for the F-16. I hope that we see some build threads here soon on the planes.

Rather than keep "hijacking" Andy's thread, I have posted the link below to a build on the Harel A-10 started by "inpieces" a few years ago. The thread has become a little dormant but it contains some specifics on the Josh Harel plans. The link below is to the info on the three different plans sets.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...874931&page=26

If you start reading the thread back on page 24 or so you will see my posts concerning the Josh Harel plans. I have known Josh since 1993 and we have discussed various ways to get his plans out into the modeling community. Since there is already someone on flea bay selling his plans for profit, he has allowed me to make his plans available free of charge. His goal is to get his Giant Jets plans out to the modeling community.

C/N:
I was thinking you could build the T-38 and then build one of the Josh Harel F-9F or A-10's. Think about trying to transport two giants like this. Also, how many battery packs would one have to have to fly these things?

Ed
Old Apr 23, 2012, 09:47 AM
Joined Mar 2006
1,575 Posts
mrshea:

I have seen some posts on the EDF threads by some people/companies that claim they are working on some big fans but have not seen anything yet. Josh had a shroud system molded and used a three balded prop cut down to 8". I have one of Josh's prop fans and I am going to try to mount an electric motor in it and see what kind of numbers I get. Perhaps we try running the three balded prop on an electric to power the Panther. I know the sound would not be "right" but it might be a start.This set up would be similar to the Byron's in that it would have a high static thrust but low dynamic thrust (i.e. good short field take off but not high top speed). How about converting a Byron's fan to electric to power the Panther?

I think that top speed is a little decieving on these large planes. I recall flying my Harel A-10 and thinking it looked very slow when in fact it was flying at 77 mph. It does not look fast from a distance but when you make a fly by with a BIG plane, even 77 mph seems impressive. Also, the Ziroli F-9F was a large plane for its time (72" span and length) and it flew on an OS 91 and Dynamax fan. Plane weighed 18 lbs. Performance was not great but it seemd to be "scale" type of speed. WIth the types of thrust that guys like "strictlyscale", C/N and others are getting on 127mm fans, perhaps a 127mm fan is not out of the question for a power system.

Ed
Old Apr 23, 2012, 01:30 PM
Madison, MS
Joined Oct 2006
982 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by A10pilot View Post
Guys:

Since I made the offer of the Josh Harel plans, I have sent out more that 15 sets of plans. Majority were for the A-10. I sent out about 5 sets for the F-9F and one for the F-16. I hope that we see some build threads here soon on the planes.

Rather than keep "hijacking" Andy's thread, I have posted the link below to a build on the Harel A-10 started by "inpieces" a few years ago. The thread has become a little dormant but it contains some specifics on the Josh Harel plans. The link below is to the info on the three different plans sets.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...874931&page=26

If you start reading the thread back on page 24 or so you will see my posts concerning the Josh Harel plans. I have known Josh since 1993 and we have discussed various ways to get his plans out into the modeling community. Since there is already someone on flea bay selling his plans for profit, he has allowed me to make his plans available free of charge. His goal is to get his Giant Jets plans out to the modeling community.

C/N:
I was thinking you could build the T-38 and then build one of the Josh Harel F-9F or A-10's. Think about trying to transport two giants like this. Also, how many battery packs would one have to have to fly these things?

Ed
Is there a chance you could upload the plans for the 3 jets?

Thanks,
D
dpowellmeii is online now Find More Posts by dpowellmeii
Old Apr 23, 2012, 01:55 PM
United States, WI, Chetek
Joined Jul 2011
525 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by falcon5 View Post
Got it from e-bay. J Morgan recomended it and I went and got one. $38.00

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mini-DVR-808...item2a1721820c
I did a search on eBay and found one for less than half that and another one for about 1/5 that price. They all come from China.

THe Half Price one

The 1/5 priced one
JurassicJet is offline Find More Posts by JurassicJet
Old Apr 23, 2012, 02:23 PM
Use your imagination....
Turkey, Izmir, Seferihisar
Joined Oct 2007
1,165 Posts
https://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/..._5MP_CMOS.html
czirh is offline Find More Posts by czirh
Old Apr 23, 2012, 07:47 PM
USA, NJ, Burlington
Joined Sep 2004
75 Posts
Wrong

These are not the same video resolution as the one listed above. (Video: 720P HD H.264/AVC1 video codec, 1280 x 720 30fps .mov)

please compare and read the fine print. it should read (Video: 720P HD H.264/AVC1 video codec, 1280 x 720 30fps .mov)

The ones listed are (720*480 H.264/AVC1 video codec) not quite equivalent.

you can read all you want to about the camera in the following link.

Sorry to jump in here but did not want this to continue

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1556994

Quote:
Originally Posted by JurassicJet View Post
I did a search on eBay and found one for less than half that and another one for about 1/5 that price. They all come from China.

THe Half Price one

The 1/5 priced one
theborg is online now Find More Posts by theborg
Last edited by theborg; Apr 23, 2012 at 07:56 PM.
Old Apr 23, 2012, 11:00 PM
Austin, Texas
Joined Dec 2005
254 Posts
So Borg

Does the Hobby King unit measure up? It appears to have all the right features... I like the orientation of the image processor/lens on the HK unit, presents a lower profile to slipstream. For me price is the last concern, come on, $40 bucks for the unit is perfectly reasonable. It may not be a PRO but I would have a hard time launching $300 bucks on top of a foamy for FPV purposes.

Peace, Wolf

P.S. The foamy comment was not directed at anyone in this thread, I have a F27Q tosser that would make a good FPV plat.
bd5wingnut is offline Find More Posts by bd5wingnut
Old Apr 24, 2012, 01:51 AM
Low rates are for wimps
United States, CO, Colorado Springs
Joined May 2008
3,440 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bd5wingnut View Post
So Borg

Does the Hobby King unit measure up?
Nope! Check out the following links.

#11: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1362692