to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 21, 2012, 05:10 PM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
25,816 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by falcon5 View Post
I tested out the little key chain camera that will ride on the T-38 for it's maiden. Works pretty good.

Ahh it was good to shake off the winter cob webs from the thumbs. Yeah my 8 points were a little rusty as you will see from the canopy cam but I should have them back to ship shape in no time. The ending is kinda funny

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d33Au...ature=youtu.be
Good video...."LOTS" of wind noise, might want to think about putting some kind of windscreen on it, or in front of it if you want the motor sound, but not the wind....

SteveT
SteveT. is offline Find More Posts by SteveT.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My hangar...
Old Apr 21, 2012, 05:26 PM
DELTAS RULE
tehachapi, CA
Joined Jan 2006
21,475 Posts
pretty cool wingman! on the maiden you should mound on foam canopy pointed at the wings stab and rudder so you can see the control surfaces working....and yeah....i need one of those!
corsair nut is offline Find More Posts by corsair nut
Old Apr 21, 2012, 05:43 PM
Capt. Z
Tonopah, Nevada
Joined Dec 2004
2,540 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpowellmeii View Post
Haha nice. Where'd you get that?
Quote:
Originally Posted by corsair nut View Post
and yeah....i need one of those!

Got it from e-bay. J Morgan recomended it and I went and got one. $38.00

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mini-DVR-808...item2a1721820c
falcon5 is offline Find More Posts by falcon5
Old Apr 21, 2012, 05:47 PM
Capt. Z
Tonopah, Nevada
Joined Dec 2004
2,540 Posts
[QUOTE=corsair nut;21397855]pretty cool wingman! on the maiden you should mound on foam canopy pointed at the wings stab and rudder so you can see the control surfaces working....QUOTE]

Good idea!! I am takeing the Eurofighter out in the morning for a few flights and will try it on that.
Old Apr 21, 2012, 06:45 PM
United States, TX, Schertz
Joined Mar 2006
1,281 Posts
Falcon;
Nice video. I just got one of those keychain cameras and need to mount it on my Falcon120. Seeing your lakebed reminded me of the times I flew off the dry lake beds at Edwards AFB, CA and the Naval Weapons Center at China Lake in Ridgecrest, CA. After flying on large lakebed surfaces I found it a bit "challenging" to have to land on some small model plane runway . Guess it makes you appreicate the Naval Aviators.

Ed
A10pilot is offline Find More Posts by A10pilot
Last edited by A10pilot; Apr 21, 2012 at 06:56 PM.
Old Apr 21, 2012, 07:01 PM
Official Boat Bum
United States, NV, Reno
Joined Mar 2000
7,001 Posts
I've got one of those new version keychain cam cameras too. Pretty cool!

I fly off a big lake bed too at times. I actually find flying off a lake bed strange for me - I don't know, it seems I enjoy having a target runway and touchdown zone to aim for. I find I'm landing all over the place on a lake bed and I'm never really consistent on landing. Though on a runway I'm always feeling like I'm in the groove and able to spot land with ease -usually . I guess what we learn first we learn best... I do more flying on smaller runways. Though, for maidens, it's tough to beat a big wide open dirt playa you can abort a takeoff with at 50 feet AGL while continuing straight ahead and having no issues with that... or have an engine failure on a fast fly by at 50 feet and just burn off some energy on a downwind turn and just land straight ahead on downwind with zero issues.

That is certainly hard to beat.
Eddie P is offline Find More Posts by Eddie P
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 21, 2012, 07:01 PM
Joined Mar 2006
1,281 Posts
Guys:
It is not my intention to hijack the thread but after following Andy's build I think that I might dust off the plans to the Josh Harel Giant Jets models. Back in 1993 Josh designed some of the first giant scale ducted fan jets. He had an A-10, F-9F Panther and a 2 seat F-16.
If Andy does not mind, I can post the specifics on the models sizes and info on the plan sets (I have the files electronically).

Thanks,
Ed
Old Apr 21, 2012, 07:09 PM
Official Boat Bum
United States, NV, Reno
Joined Mar 2000
7,001 Posts
PS - awesome video Andy, nice flying!
Eddie P is offline Find More Posts by Eddie P
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 21, 2012, 07:19 PM
Now in TN!
Chapel Hill, TN USA
Joined Apr 2001
24,005 Posts
That's a pretty cool little camera isn't it!
My buddy Dennis turned me on to it. Can't believe how good it does for $38.
Do you think the T-38 will be able to handle it's extra weight?

You're not missing anything at SEFF yet. We all got in today and have the tents setup. Cloudy and overcast and by 6:30 it was raining cast & dogs. Winds tomorrow 20-30 mph( read that as very little if any flying and lowered tents!). But the good news is that the weather will be nice the first of the weekend and looks to last through next weekend. See ya Wednesday buddy!

J
J Morgan is offline Find More Posts by J Morgan
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: OV-10A Bronco from Palmer Plans
Old Apr 21, 2012, 08:01 PM
Capt. Z
Tonopah, Nevada
Joined Dec 2004
2,540 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by A10pilot View Post
Guys:
If Andy does not mind, I can post the specifics on the models sizes and info on the plan sets (I have the files electronically).

Thanks,
Ed
Sure thing Ed, post away

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Morgan View Post
Do you think the T-38 will be able to handle it's extra weight?

See ya Wednesday buddy!

J
I will carry a few extra knots of speed to compensate for the 10 grams she will add

See ya there John.
Old Apr 21, 2012, 08:25 PM
Capt. Z
Tonopah, Nevada
Joined Dec 2004
2,540 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie P View Post
I actually find flying off a lake bed strange for me - I don't know, it seems I enjoy having a target runway and touchdown zone to aim for. I find I'm landing all over the place on a lake bed and I'm never really consistent on landing. Though on a runway I'm always feeling like I'm in the groove and able to spot land with ease -usually .
Yeah Eddie I went through that also. The lake bed spoiled me but I try and hit a touch down point when landing and try and stop by a certain spot. I also make sure I make landing approaches from both directions as doing too many only from one direction can degrade the skills a little. The lake bed in the video is the small bed..I will fly the T-38 off a much bigger one.

Quote:
Falcon;
After flying on large lakebed surfaces I found it a bit "challenging" to have to land on some small model plane runway . Guess it makes you appreicate the Naval Aviators.

Ed
Yeah me too,

If I feel I am getting a little lax in my spot landing skills I take the red cones out and pase off a couple hundred foot runway and shoot some touch and goes from both directions. The skills come back in a hurry.
Old Apr 21, 2012, 08:47 PM
Joined Mar 2006
1,281 Posts
Andy:
Thanks for the "permission" to post.

As I mentioned previously, Josh Harel designed some large ducted fan models back in 1993-94. They were intended for his large prop fan. I don't know how many people used the system but Dean Lassek, Ivan Munninghoff, HerbHeaton and I each made one of his A-10's. Mine was 53 lbs fueled with two OS 91's and Dynamax fans. Very challenging to fly but as the T-38 will be, it was a crowd stopper. My hope is to pull out the plans and then try to fabricate one of the A-10's from blue foam as Andy has done.

Specs on the Harel planes:
A-10 span=115", length= 108" drawings/plans= 4 sheets/ total of 108 sq. ft.

F-16 (2 seat) length=86", span=73" drawings/plans=3 sheets/ total 72 sq. ft.

F-9F Panther length 85", span=85" (with tanks), drawings/plans=4 shts/93 sq. ft.

If anyone is interested, I can send the files to you for you to have printed or I can have them printed and mail them to you for my costs. If interested, please e-mail me (please no PM's) at:
edwarda10pilot@aol.com

Just FYI, here is a photo of my A-10 with Dean's at Chattfield State Park in Denver Co. cicra 1994 as well as an additonal photo.

Thanks,
Ed
Old Apr 21, 2012, 09:16 PM
JOHN 3:16
Central Ohio
Joined Feb 2008
6,177 Posts
Quote:
Just FYI, here is a photo of my A-10 with Dean's at Chattfield State Park in Denver Co. cicra 1994 as well as an additonal photo.

Thanks,
Ed
Sammy70 is offline Find More Posts by Sammy70
Old Apr 21, 2012, 11:16 PM
North Island of New Zealand
Joined Jan 2009
104 Posts
Email sent thanks
AirspeedNZ is offline Find More Posts by AirspeedNZ