HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 19, 2012, 11:07 PM
Austin, Texas
Joined Dec 2005
254 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpfing View Post
Man, carving a canopy plug for a plane just from measurements seems like a effort in futility to me. No way would I even attempt it. Good Luck and I truly mean that!! This plane is awesome.

Tony
Well he did just carve an entire aircraft from blue foam... Canopy plug will be easy peasy.

Peace, Wolf
bd5wingnut is offline Find More Posts by bd5wingnut
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 20, 2012, 07:23 AM
Registered Idiot
United Kingdom, London
Joined Dec 2010
6,824 Posts
Lol
Keenan smith is offline Find More Posts by Keenan smith
Old Apr 20, 2012, 07:43 AM
RC Fanatic
USA, NC, Greensboro
Joined Mar 2002
1,340 Posts
I am thinking Blue foam and my garage are oing to have a date together real soon. Falcon how thick was the foam you used and where did you get it?
Reco is offline Find More Posts by Reco
Old Apr 20, 2012, 08:31 AM
DELTAS RULE
tehachapi, CA
Joined Jan 2006
21,591 Posts
well, i have the side view and top view also. remember, im building one too lol. for some reason our dementions are ever so slightly off. not sure why. i need to go back over and re check everything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpfing View Post
Man, carving a canopy plug for a plane just from measurements seems like a effort in futility to me. No way would I even attempt it. Good Luck and I truly mean that!! This plane is awesome.

Tony
corsair nut is online now Find More Posts by corsair nut
Old Apr 20, 2012, 12:04 PM
Oshkosh, WI
Joined Nov 2002
2,394 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bd5wingnut View Post
Well he did just carve an entire aircraft from blue foam... Canopy plug will be easy peasy.

Peace, Wolf
I just finished making a vac-form plug for a smaller F-5 canopy. It is made from hot-wired i-ins pink 'girlie' foam (only kind available in this parts) sections with templates extracted from my 3D CAD drawing, & glassed. If I have 3-vew of the T-38, I might be able to help with the 3D CAD & see if it can make the job easier for CN.

Attached is a coarse jpg of the one I did

Phil
PhilLin is offline Find More Posts by PhilLin
Last edited by PhilLin; May 03, 2012 at 05:53 PM. Reason: spell
Old Apr 20, 2012, 12:16 PM
Do it Right, the first time!
United States, MN, Hermantown
Joined Dec 2008
5,027 Posts
Come on PhilLin, theres nothing wrong with " pink 'girlie' foam ". Thats all we have too. Menards or HD. Better than some of these guys, they can't beg, borrow, or steal to find some. My store is only about 1/2 mile away, most convienent.
CoolerByTheLake is offline Find More Posts by CoolerByTheLake
Old Apr 20, 2012, 04:44 PM
Oshkosh, WI
Joined Nov 2002
2,394 Posts
You're luckier than me, Cooler I have a Lowe's & a Menard about a mile away.

I don't think it will take long to do the CAD for CN if I can get my hands on the 3-view, even if the canopy area only, with some scaling guides. The extracted half x-sections showed fit into an 8.5x11 sheet per. I spray glued each printed section on cardboard using 3M #45 (available from local Hobby-Lobby, used for pictures) to make the templates. For the 144incher, I think 2-ins thick foam is more conveinient as it will reduce number of sections & templates needed.

Don't know if CN is interested? Attached is a pix of my plug in rough filled & sanded stage. After a few iterations, I was making more dents into the plug than I was filling, so decided to glass it. I used Fleet-Farm 5-oz glass (car fender packs), which drapes neatly over the plug surface compared to the stiffer Hobbico glass.

Now my plug has a golf ball dimpled look after first sanding. I'm thinking of pulling a canopy before filling the plug smooth. I don't think the dimples will show much? But they might make airflow attach to the canopy better?

Waiting for some PETG.

Phil
Last edited by PhilLin; Apr 20, 2012 at 07:47 PM. Reason: typos; clarify
Old Apr 20, 2012, 04:53 PM
Do it Right, the first time!
United States, MN, Hermantown
Joined Dec 2008
5,027 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waltjg View Post
Mark, also what works really well is elmers rubber cement. Comes in a jar with an attached brush, you can get it at wally for like $1.60 in the craft section(Elmers also makes a more expensive type for pictures for like a $1 more, but the original works real good). Brush on both surfaces, let dry(about a min) put together, make sure your lined up, works like contact cement so no adjusting when you put them together.. and the bonus is it sands like it isn't even there!!! Give it a try! Good luck! w.
This was early on in the thread. I have tried it, works great. On pink 'girlie' foam, and just a bit ago on some white stuff (similar to wing core density) worked great there to. They are right, sands super easy, and hot wires like butter. No sticking or dragging, like the 3m-78 I used. Disclaimer, the Mark in the pos, is not me.
CoolerByTheLake is offline Find More Posts by CoolerByTheLake
Old Apr 20, 2012, 07:30 PM
deltas are cool
Tehachapi ,CA.
Joined Apr 2006
20,533 Posts
canopy plugs

if you plan of having a really nice canopy you need to do this .sand the plug a lot smaller than needed ,glass it with about 3 layers of 2 oz. cloth ,then skin it over with bondo at least .060 " thick prime it and san all the waay to 600-800 grit .the reason is if you just glass it when the hot plastic heats up the plug the glass fibers swell and leave print off in your canopy par ...so you will see the glass weave in it . the bondo keeps this from happening.
AIR SALLY is offline Find More Posts by AIR SALLY
Old Apr 20, 2012, 07:42 PM
Oshkosh, WI
Joined Nov 2002
2,394 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AIR SALLY View Post
if you plan of having a really nice canopy you need to do this .sand the plug a lot smaller than needed ,glass it with about 3 layers of 2 oz. cloth ,then skin it over with bondo at least .060 " thick prime it and san all the waay to 600-800 grit .the reason is if you just glass it when the hot plastic heats up the plug the glass fibers swell and leave print off in your canopy par ...so you will see the glass weave in it . the bondo keeps this from happening.
Thanks, A/S! Good info from a pro.

I agree the thicker the canopy material, the more heat it will transfer to the mold. So will higher temp when using Lexan.

I once made a plug out of ply/balsa substructure & filled it with plaster-of-paris, which is very difficult to sand/file. A fellow with access to commercial vac-forming eqpt tried to help me pull a piece, as he was pulling nice canopies for the early yellow-aircraft Spit. I didn't realize his machine was pulling very high vac, enuf to crush my plug! I took it home & made a fix; then built my own rig to use the home vacuum cleaner. It worked like a charm for the thickness of meaterial I used.

Phil
Old Apr 20, 2012, 08:24 PM
Capt. Z
Tonopah, Nevada
Joined Dec 2004
2,543 Posts
I came across a video awhile back were the guy used the first pull as a layer on his plug. By leaving the first pull on the plug and sanding it super smooth then the second pull over that turned out really sweet!!!
falcon5 is offline Find More Posts by falcon5
Old Apr 21, 2012, 10:10 AM
Capt. Z
Tonopah, Nevada
Joined Dec 2004
2,543 Posts
Beautiful day today, decided to play hooky from the 38 build and go flying instead. Not having flown most of the winter I forgot about that little excitement you get when you see the charger start to slow the charge rate indicating the batts are getting close to done, Off to the lake bed for some R&R and sharpen up the aerobatic thumbs...
"Gooood afternooon ..my name is Capt Z...I will be your demonstration pilot today. The manuvers you are about to see are not stunts or daredevil manuvers..they are manouvers taught to every prospective radio control airplane pilot....Nooow direct your attention to the left...as Capt Z approaches for the eiiigghhhtt ppooooiiint roooooolll !!!!! (music in the background, here I am...rock you like a hurricane)"
Old Apr 21, 2012, 10:26 AM
RC Fanatic
USA, NC, Greensboro
Joined Mar 2002
1,340 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by falcon5 View Post
Beautiful day today, decided to play hooky from the 38 build and go flying instead. Not having flown most of the winter I forgot about that little excitement you get when you see the charger start to slow the charge rate indicating the batts are getting close to done, Off to the lake bed for some R&R and sharpen up the aerobatic thumbs...
"Gooood afternooon ..my name is Capt Z...I will be your demonstration pilot today. The manuvers you are about to see are not stunts or daredevil manuvers..they are manouvers taught to every prospective radio control airplane pilot....Nooow direct your attention to the left...as Capt Z approaches for the eiiigghhhtt ppooooiiint roooooolll !!!!! (music in the background, here I am...rock you like a hurricane)"
And from the opposing solo a high speed knife edge flyby....into a high speed vertical climb out........man I love flying
Reco is offline Find More Posts by Reco
Old Apr 21, 2012, 10:58 AM
Oshkosh, WI
Joined Nov 2002
2,394 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by falcon5 View Post
I came across a video awhile back were the guy used the first pull as a layer on his plug. By leaving the first pull on the plug and sanding it super smooth then the second pull over that turned out really sweet!!!
Good point, Falcon5! That will save me a lot of filling & sanding. Thx

Phil
Old Apr 21, 2012, 04:33 PM
Capt. Z
Tonopah, Nevada
Joined Dec 2004
2,543 Posts
I tested out the little key chain camera that will ride on the T-38 for it's maiden. Works pretty good.

Ahh it was good to shake off the winter cob webs from the thumbs. Yeah my 8 points were a little rusty as you will see from the canopy cam but I should have them back to ship shape in no time. The ending is kinda funny

FlyFly Hawk canopycam 720.avi (3 min 56 sec)