SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Apr 10, 2012, 09:27 AM
Deutschland, BW, Friedrichshafen
Joined Dec 2001
889 Posts
Why are you going with 10S and not 12 Falcon?
12S would be less amps.
8000mAh look like good flight time
regards Martin
MaHö is offline Find More Posts by MaHö
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 10, 2012, 09:37 AM
Crystal River Fl.
Joined Jul 2008
3,681 Posts
Andy, looking really great! Getting close to SEFF now!!! W
Waltjg is offline Find More Posts by Waltjg
Old Apr 10, 2012, 10:25 AM
Capt. Z
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Dec 2004
2,655 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaHö View Post
Why are you going with 10S and not 12 Falcon?
12S would be less amps.
8000mAh look like good flight time
regards Martin
11S or 12S could still be an option later. With 8000mah batts going to 12S would add 2 1/4 pounds. Starting out with 10S and will go from there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waltjg View Post
Andy, looking really great! Getting close to SEFF now!!! W
Thanks Walt...see ya in Ga.
falcon5 is offline Find More Posts by falcon5
Old Apr 10, 2012, 01:35 PM
United States, TX, Grand Prairie
Joined Nov 2005
5,872 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by falcon5 View Post
11S or 12S could still be an option later. With 8000mah batts going to 12S would add 2 1/4 pounds. Starting out with 10S and will go from there....
Are you talking about the 8000mah zippys?

I was going to do some similar testing with those this summer and see what kind of flight times I got out of a 16lbs low wing load plane with 8000mah on 12s...it'll be over 4.5lbs of but the planes AUW I suspect wont be affected too much.

I was thinking so the weight was lighter the speed would be reduced but that doesn't seem to be the case.

Very interesting.
erh7771 is online now Find More Posts by erh7771
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 10, 2012, 05:56 PM
Fast Jets for Fast times
St. Peters MO.
Joined Nov 2007
1,210 Posts
Falcon,

Are you planing on a thrust test and how would you measure it? What is the minimum it has to have in theroy do you think? The Stu fan sure are nice and im sure will power it great. Are there output numbers they deliver for the assemblies?
Lmeano_from_MO is offline Find More Posts by Lmeano_from_MO
Old Apr 10, 2012, 06:41 PM
Capt. Z
Joined Dec 2004
2,655 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lmeano_from_MO View Post
Falcon,

Are you planing on a thrust test and how would you measure it? What is the minimum it has to have in theroy do you think? The Stu fan sure are nice and im sure will power it great. Are there output numbers they deliver for the assemblies?
The plan is to just use a digital fish scale I have. I was just going to set it on it's landing gear and go to full throttle and see how it pulls against the scale to get a general idea. Nothing to scientific.

Stumax web site has some performance data I think for his differrant fans and setups.
Old Apr 10, 2012, 09:48 PM
Geelong, Victoria, Australia
Joined Mar 2004
94 Posts
Plus it sounds like with the miles and miles of clean area you have available to fly, your first takeoff roll will confirm you are good to go!
krypto71 is offline Find More Posts by krypto71
Old Apr 10, 2012, 11:06 PM
RC Fanatic
USA, NC, Greensboro
Joined Mar 2002
1,457 Posts
Ahh test range tonopah, I love the desert I will retire there for sure....
Reco is offline Find More Posts by Reco
Old Apr 10, 2012, 11:39 PM
deltas are cool
Tehachapi ,CA.
Joined Apr 2006
21,270 Posts
well the full scale T-38 had a pretty low thrust to weight ratio...and they take about a mile to take off in hot weather ..so Andy just needs 1/4 mile to take off
AIR SALLY is online now Find More Posts by AIR SALLY
Old Apr 11, 2012, 08:40 AM
United States, MS, Starkville
Joined May 2009
119 Posts
Good lord that is impressive.... just found this thread and I'm glad I did. Good luck!
jmd87 is offline Find More Posts by jmd87
Old Apr 11, 2012, 12:19 PM
Canada, AB, Okotoks
Joined Apr 2007
1,296 Posts
That just looks amazing, I can't wait to see the flying videos. Great work falcon. Cheers.
thedeuce is offline Find More Posts by thedeuce
Old Apr 12, 2012, 12:26 AM
United States, NM, Farmington
Joined Jun 2008
840 Posts
Amazing plane and amazing build schedule. So cool.
Corelli is offline Find More Posts by Corelli
Old Apr 13, 2012, 02:47 PM
Corporate Jet Mech
KVNY
Joined Oct 2006
72 Posts
Just for the heck of it

Sorry for the late reply...things got a little busy around work. The nerve huh?

Anyways, I got over across the field today and checked in with the guys at Thornton aircraft. They were doing some work on one of the F-5B's, which worked out. Stabs are the same, so I took some measurements and snapped some shots. Turns out the stab is right at a 5 foot chord at the root, and the pivot is 29 inches up from the trailing edge. The spar is shown using the tape measure laid on top of it...

I had forgotten how much better the thinner wheels of the T-38 look versus the fatter F-5's....Snapped a belly shot for ya while I was at it...

Intakes are so different as well.....

Things are looking fantastic on your end...I remember my George Miller T-38 had silver painted in "windows" just to make it easier for me. This thing is gonna really pop with that big clear canopy showing off all of you hard work in the cockpits!!!

Keep up the great work..and remember, the only thing better than a T-38, is a GIANT FRICKIN' T-38!!!!!!!!!!!

Halownr
Halownr is offline Find More Posts by Halownr
Old Apr 13, 2012, 03:16 PM
Capt. Z
Joined Dec 2004
2,655 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Halownr View Post
Turns out the stab is right at a 5 foot chord at the root, and the pivot is 29 inches up from the trailing edge. The spar is shown using the tape measure laid on top of it...
Hey thanks allot for that Halownr, Very interesting. So 5 foot chord is 60" and the pivot is 29" from the trailing edge. puts it a little aft of center. Wow. Now I would like to talk to the engineer who decided to put the pivot point there and why

Thanks again for takeing the time and doing that and posting pics.!!

I hope to have the fans mounted by next weekend and may take it out to the lake bed and taxi it around. I think with the wide gear position it should be pretty stable in regards to ground handling. I will do some semi high speed runs also to see how it handles.