HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 04, 2012, 05:39 PM
DELTAS RULE
tehachapi, CA
Joined Jan 2006
22,102 Posts
well, keith sparks is going to pull the canopies. i just have to make the canopy in 2 sections. ill be doing the two aft sections together, and the windscreen seperate. his biggest box can only do a 24" pull....and thats only about 8" short lol.

ill be starting on the plug next week. im currently on travel, and its my anniversary this weekend, so ill take it with me to work next week and start...."pluggin away" no pun intended lol.
corsair nut is online now Find More Posts by corsair nut
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 04, 2012, 06:02 PM
Capt. Z
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Dec 2004
2,568 Posts
Happy aniversery wingman...and many more!!!
falcon5 is offline Find More Posts by falcon5
Old Apr 04, 2012, 07:18 PM
deltas are cool
Tehachapi ,CA.
Joined Apr 2006
20,804 Posts
Happy Annv. you hoser ...i had the boys over for a tractor ride the other day .....we had fun .
AIR SALLY is offline Find More Posts by AIR SALLY
Old Apr 04, 2012, 09:45 PM
Official Boat Bum
United States, NV, Reno
Joined Mar 2000
7,274 Posts
Dude you guys have pulled in another maestro to do work with you guys?!! Now all you need is John to make the gear doors and retract mounting rails for ya, CN Then we could make this into a reality show. "Foam Warz"

I was wondering if you guys were gonna pull the plastic on that one. Sparks is the master of vacuum formed plastic for sure.
Eddie P is online now Find More Posts by Eddie P
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 04, 2012, 09:59 PM
Joined Jan 2007
4,732 Posts
Are you going to do them up in Area 51 color's. Looking good so far.
prodjx is offline Find More Posts by prodjx
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 04, 2012, 10:21 PM
deltas are cool
Tehachapi ,CA.
Joined Apr 2006
20,804 Posts
i believe way back they were doing EDwards colors..white with black letters/numbers.
AIR SALLY is offline Find More Posts by AIR SALLY
Old Apr 05, 2012, 12:20 AM
Joined Apr 2012
1 Posts
Hi flyingfitz737,
I went through Air Force flgiht training about 30 years ago (Williams AFB before they closed it). I think my limit was 20 consecutive aileron rolls in it. Did it the same way you described - 45 deg nose up, then you stop when you're 45 nose down. Ever flip the plane inverted and fly straight and level at -1 g? I was probably crazy to trust my neck to a single seat belt strap. But the most amazing flying for me was fingertip formation - especially when you're flying off lead and going through a cloud.
stevenpph is offline Find More Posts by stevenpph
Old Apr 05, 2012, 08:56 AM
United States, IL, Edwardsville
Joined Dec 2011
247 Posts
Used to fly upside down all the time. It was actually part of the maintenance test profile. The check was to make sure the oil pressure would come up when inverted. If it wouldnt, the next step was to kind of shake the airplane inverted to get the oil pickup to break loose and swivel. On one of these occasions, the lap belt had not been installed properly. The belt came detached from the right side of the seat pan. I found myself upside down in the top of the canopy bowl with the seat kit wedged sideways under me unable to move the stick aft. The airplane was in a slow arc down. I was able to position the seat kit square to the pan and g loaded myself back into position. Still being upside down, I did a loaded rudder roll to upright. During this circus act I lost aroun 8000 feet of altitude. Sorry to hijack the thread again but this is one of my cooler fcf stories. Enjoy!
flyingfitz737 is offline Find More Posts by flyingfitz737
Old Apr 05, 2012, 09:58 AM
Capt. Z
Joined Dec 2004
2,568 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AIR SALLY View Post
i believe way back they were doing EDwards colors..white with black letters/numbers.
Cool storys guys..love it..keep em comeing..

Yep going with Edwards colors. A month ago I taped on some decals to see how they sized up..Nut said if I put the star on upside down for real and on the wrong wing he will march himself over here and slap me twice. I told him my glasses were at lense crafters and i didn't have a spare set, and it was dark in the room and my eyes were red and blood shot from swimming all day, and ...the phone rang and I was distracted..and....
Old Apr 05, 2012, 11:48 AM
Pursuit of Happiness
Brentwood, California
Joined Jul 2007
7,224 Posts
Wow! love checking in on this project
So freaking cool man... you have unreal talent

Quote:
HAvn't weighed it in a few weeks but I think I will be between 30 and 35 pounds ready to go.
That's loaded with packs? man...that thing is paper light
It's much bigger than my F-18 and I'll be 40 pounds loaded.... great job!

please keep this baby EDF, your so light this thing should fly steller. I didn't see in the thread but you are planing full ducting I would imagine? Your wingmans dad can hook you up there

keep up the great work!! then build me one
Ron101 is offline Find More Posts by Ron101
Old Apr 05, 2012, 01:32 PM
Pug Pilot
Wichita, Kansas
Joined Dec 2004
801 Posts
Great progress. I love checking in everyday to see new pictures. You do awesome work man.

The cat picture reminds me of me taking pictures of my planes and later seeing that my Pug had some how ended up in the picture too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halownr View Post
Unfortunately, the gear is not solid enough for a "CAT-Shot".

You will have to be happy with this image alone.

Sorry, couldn't resist.
moxjett is online now Find More Posts by moxjett
Old Apr 05, 2012, 02:31 PM
Capt. Z
Joined Dec 2004
2,568 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron101 View Post

That's loaded with packs? man...that thing is paper light
It's much bigger than my F-18 and I'll be 40 pounds loaded.... great job!

please keep this baby EDF, your so light this thing should fly steller. I didn't see in the thread but you are planing full ducting I would imagine? Your wingmans dad can hook you up there

keep up the great work!! then build me one
Thanks guys,

Yeah Ron I check in on your F-18 build thread also, nice work. Yep should be about 33 pounds painted and loaded with packs. I can shed another 2.5 pounds going with the 5800mah batts but the 8000's will put me to 33 lbs. As far as full ducting goes, when the T-38 build was still in the discustion stage Nut and I were talking open ducting. I will maiden it with open ducting. Stu Maxwel while setting up the fans for me we chatted about the build somewhat and he gave me some pointers as well. I am makeing 4" long "trumpets" that will fit over each fan and will make it so no air gets past the fans other than thru them. Stu feels that will keep the internal preasure up. Also Stu wants the inlets were the air first enters the airplane with the edge radius at least 3mm. I will try and get all that done and after a few flights I will re analize everything and talk it over with Nut, A/S and the rest of the guru's to see were to go from there, either with full ducting or leave it as is or....
Last edited by falcon5; Apr 05, 2012 at 02:38 PM.
Old Apr 05, 2012, 02:47 PM
Capt. Z
Joined Dec 2004
2,568 Posts
For flying this big plane I will have to recalibrate my internal speed estimator Such a larg airplane will prabbably appear to be flying slower than it actualy is.
I have been watching as many larg r/c flight videos as I can find and quite a few of them the plane looks to be just hanging in the sky on final but when it crosses the runway threashold it's hauiling a$$ and the guy lands long.

One advatage I think of doing the test flying out at the dry lake bed is tons of runway in all directions should I need it.
Old Apr 05, 2012, 02:50 PM
Pursuit of Happiness
Brentwood, California
Joined Jul 2007
7,224 Posts
right on, that sound like a good plan
So is Brent building one at the same time? are you building one for him?
does he have a thread?

can't wait to hear the flight report..... I feel it will go better with full ducting, but have flown a cermark 1/8 F-16 and jet legend 1/6 hawk with open ducting and was surprised at how well each flew with just a bellmouth...so you should be good to go

Thanks for checking in on my F-18.... one of these years it will be donw
just about a year into that build thread ( I have taking lots of time off it)

I'm tuned in and excited for you
Ron101 is offline Find More Posts by Ron101
Old Apr 05, 2012, 03:05 PM
Capt. Z
Joined Dec 2004
2,568 Posts
Yeah Brent is building one also. This thread is for both builds. He has his started with fuselage and the wings and stab made I think, but work was slaming him for the last few months with 7 days a week schedules but I think he hopes to get it done in time for the Vegas Ace in the Hole event in October.
The plan is to fly them in formation

When I stood the plane up against the house for that one picture I stood there for a second and just stared at it and tryed to imagine it makeing a low pass and then pulling into the vertical...I thought holly cow that will be somthin' to see...then the thought of two of them wing tip to wing tip doing that..and I almost passed out