Waltjg is offline Find More Posts by Waltjg
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 26, 2012, 01:16 PM
Capt. Z
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Dec 2004
2,644 Posts
Thanks Walt,

Without learning from all the guys on rc groups the learning curve would be steep.

I get asked how I am going to transport such a big plane..Wings , nose and horizontal stabs will be removable. I think I will have the vertical stab perminat though
falcon5 is offline Find More Posts by falcon5
Old Mar 26, 2012, 02:10 PM
Canada, AB, Okotoks
Joined Apr 2007
1,294 Posts
falcon5,

Great setup on the removable pieces. How do you attach the nose to keep the strength and keep the fuselage lines so perfect(no noticable seams)?

Cheers
thedeuce is offline Find More Posts by thedeuce
Old Mar 26, 2012, 02:47 PM
Capt. Z
Joined Dec 2004
2,644 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedeuce View Post
falcon5,

Great setup on the removable pieces. How do you attach the nose to keep the strength and keep the fuselage lines so perfect(no noticable seams)?

Cheers
Hi Deuce..
Oh there is a seam all right.. Some pics arn't showing it much. The streigth was gotten by for starters glassing in all the bulkheads. The 4 bolts that hold the front fues to the back just hold everything in place but the load forces are put on a 5/8" round 24" long aluminum rod that runs through two bulkheads in the back section and two in the front section with 1/4" ply plates to suport the rod.

Glassed the horizontal stabs. I always knew this workout equipment would come in handy some day.
Old Mar 26, 2012, 03:01 PM
I KNOW WHAT IM DOING !!!!!!!
United States, CA, Ontario
Joined Jan 2009
1,443 Posts
absolutly great job falcon 5 cant wait to see finished product ! where will the maiden be and when !
HELLCAT632 is offline Find More Posts by HELLCAT632
Old Mar 26, 2012, 03:58 PM
Capt. Z
Joined Dec 2004
2,644 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HELLCAT632 View Post
where will the maiden be and when !
13 miles north of Tonopah, Nevada. Dry lake bed..Shooting for June 1st
Old Mar 26, 2012, 04:12 PM
ich bauen groß modell flugzeug
United Kingdom, London
Joined Dec 2010
6,834 Posts
i may be in the states then
Keenan smith is offline Find More Posts by Keenan smith
Old Mar 27, 2012, 12:03 AM
I KNOW WHAT IM DOING !!!!!!!
United States, CA, Ontario
Joined Jan 2009
1,443 Posts
wish i could make it but can"t ! but hey from the looks of thing so far! it will be great ! hope you are taking video ! be watching progress ! thanks for the great pics !
HELLCAT632 is offline Find More Posts by HELLCAT632
Old Mar 27, 2012, 01:58 PM
Swat Team Member
LV, NV
Joined Apr 2003
629 Posts
Video

I have volunteered to take video for falcon5 and to make the drive out to Tonopah This is such an amazing project and no worries mates we will make a music and non music version. June will be hot in Vegas hopefully Tonopah will be a lot cooler, that will be a good warm up for Jets over Kentucky week...

P. Richards aka SwatTeam
P. Richards is offline Find More Posts by P. Richards
Old Mar 27, 2012, 03:49 PM
DELTAS RULE
tehachapi, CA
Joined Jan 2006
22,444 Posts
hey wingman! looking awesome! are you using any structure to support the stab pins???

Quote:
Originally Posted by falcon5 View Post
Hi Deuce..
Oh there is a seam all right.. Some pics arn't showing it much. The streigth was gotten by for starters glassing in all the bulkheads. The 4 bolts that hold the front fues to the back just hold everything in place but the load forces are put on a 5/8" round 24" long aluminum rod that runs through two bulkheads in the back section and two in the front section with 1/4" ply plates to suport the rod.

Glassed the horizontal stabs. I always knew this workout equipment would come in handy some day.
corsair nut is offline Find More Posts by corsair nut
Old Mar 27, 2012, 05:16 PM
Capt. Z
Joined Dec 2004
2,644 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by corsair nut View Post
hey wingman! looking awesome! are you using any structure to support the stab pins???
No structure added. I just put a 90 degree bend in the steel rod made the slot for it in the foam. Then used gorila glue cuz I like the expanding nature of it to fill all the voids in the slot. After it was all dryed and sanded level and smooth I added a few extra layers of glass over the rod area and then glassed the entire stab. Do you think that will be good enough..??

Now the ball bearing rig I made for the stab to plug into the fuselage will have ply stucture supporting that and will also be glassed in.
Old Mar 27, 2012, 05:35 PM
DELTAS RULE
tehachapi, CA
Joined Jan 2006
22,444 Posts
i would feel much better if you supported that rod in the stabs with a couple plywood formers. these are massive surfaces and at 120-130mph+ are going to have some pretty extreme forces on them. im thinking a rib at the root to support them, and one out by your bend.
corsair nut is offline Find More Posts by corsair nut
Old Mar 27, 2012, 05:40 PM
deltas are cool
Tehachapi ,CA.
Joined Apr 2006
20,957 Posts
that "should "do it as long as there is no flutter. you used 2 layers of 2oz. ? i dont know you might want to add another layer of 2oz. and i guess every one out there said dont worry about balancing the stabs...i guess time will tell ,you guys are dang near in the home built cat. with this size ,so loads are going to be a lot higher than what most of us are used to dealing with .C/N we should use C/F cloth on your stabs. you'll get more strength for the same weight.some of that 3.7 oz stuff should work.and you were puting ply in yours right ?...this is one of those times when over building might be warrented since we are not doing high tech structual testing .and the balancing will take a lot of idle load off the servos ,at least thats how i feel ...what would it take 2-3 oz. per stab to balance them ....seems like cheap insureance to me .remember your shooting for 100mph speeds with a 25-30 lbs plane.C/N metion maybe some day going turbine .....so he needs to add more structure...a turbine might get this too 12-130 mph just read C/N 's post ...i agree.
AIR SALLY is offline Find More Posts by AIR SALLY
Old Mar 27, 2012, 05:45 PM
deltas are cool
Tehachapi ,CA.
Joined Apr 2006
20,957 Posts
adding a full or part rib at the root would easy ...you'd have to cut a slot in the stab to drop a rib in at your bend...with a "U" shaped cut out in it ....then once thats done add your extra layer of glass ...and maybe one more under that just in the middle covering where the wire is ...in a "V" shape.
AIR SALLY is offline Find More Posts by AIR SALLY
Old Mar 27, 2012, 06:08 PM
Capt. Z
Joined Dec 2004
2,644 Posts
Interesting. Well I could use my dremel to cut the slot to add a rib. I do plan to balance the stabs. The Hitec 7955's should be here tomorrow. Titanium gear 250 oz. tourqe one for each stab so I hope that will handle the load.

For the rib you mean to put that right at the 90 degree bend?? so the steel rod cant break out of the stab??