Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Mar 13, 2012, 06:49 AM
Hey Guys, Watch This.......
USA, TX, El Paso
Joined Dec 2003
6,028 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Morgan View Post
Sorry guys, awesome doesn't work anymore. That thing is incredible!

J
No joke.........

Mike
mike2663 is online now Find More Posts by mike2663
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 13, 2012, 09:04 AM
United States, TX, Grand Prairie
Joined Nov 2005
5,672 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by falcon5 View Post
Got a little done on the cores today. Balsa all the way around and got the preliminary grooves cut for the 1/2" rods.

Plane takes on a whole new look when ya put wings and a stab on it..
Would 2 - 4oz glass work vs sheeting them?

I've been phrase searching for "balsa sheet vs glass" etc comparisons and only came up with one and the guy used a vacuum bag to glass his.

Thx in advance for any input on this.

I glassed the bottom of the A-4 wing with 2oz glass and the Liquid Sheeting and prolly over did it.

As hard as rock and a little heavy
erh7771 is offline Find More Posts by erh7771
Old Mar 13, 2012, 09:07 AM
USA, OH, Beavercreek
Joined Sep 2003
84 Posts
What A Beauty!!! This build has got me fired up to dig out the George Miller version I've had hidden away for years... Maybe a small turbine? Wouldn't be much more expensive than a high-end electric set up.
RAMFlyer is offline Find More Posts by RAMFlyer
Old Mar 13, 2012, 09:23 AM
USA, OH, Beavercreek
Joined Sep 2003
84 Posts
Don't know if anyone has posted it but here is a nice thread about using the styro spay on balsa...

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_10..._1/key_/tm.htm
RAMFlyer is offline Find More Posts by RAMFlyer
Old Mar 13, 2012, 10:16 AM
United States, TX, Grand Prairie
Joined Nov 2005
5,672 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RAMFlyer View Post
Don't know if anyone has posted it but here is a nice thread about using the styro spay on balsa...

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_10..._1/key_/tm.htm
That's a very very helpful thread LS\SS is definitely newb friendly. They used theirs over 1/8 balsa, very similar results to epoxy
erh7771 is offline Find More Posts by erh7771
Old Mar 13, 2012, 11:10 AM
Capt. Z
Tonopah, Nevada
Joined Dec 2004
2,540 Posts
Wow thanks for all the kind words guy's and welcome to a few new comers to the thread, glad to have ya aboard.

Should have the the flaps and ailerons cut an hinged in a few days and then servo em' up. Then retracts and the side gear door for the mains will be addressed.
falcon5 is offline Find More Posts by falcon5
Old Mar 13, 2012, 11:24 AM
Suspended Account
United States, CA, Corona
Joined Nov 2003
554 Posts
The model is awesome you are a incredible builder. I'm curious looks like money was not an issue, so why go with Zippy battery's From HK?
warbirdguyn951 is offline Find More Posts by warbirdguyn951
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Mar 13, 2012, 11:44 AM
Capt. Z
Tonopah, Nevada
Joined Dec 2004
2,540 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASCforithobbies View Post
The model is awesome you are a incredible builder. I'm curious looks like money was not an issue, so why go with Zippy battery's From HK?
LOL money no object..I wish.. .I have flown the Zippy's for years, they have done pretty good for me. Plane just looks expensive. Foam is cheap, struts were cheap, my ESC's are Turnigy's from HK, servos are analog Hitecs, wheels are Dave Brown foamy's, half the Stu fans are being sponsored, going to be painted with rattle cans. No I am no Rockefeller that's for sure.
Old Mar 13, 2012, 11:53 AM
deltas are cool
Tehachapi ,CA.
Joined Apr 2006
20,433 Posts
OH yeah it looks sweet .what are you using to plug the wings into ?
AIR SALLY is online now Find More Posts by AIR SALLY
Old Mar 13, 2012, 12:07 PM
United States, MO, Warrensburg
Joined Feb 2008
2,251 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AIR SALLY View Post
Whitman had some Black ones with red letters
Your thinking of Beale (BB), their jets are black with Red insignia, our Whiteman companion trainer (CPT) jets (WM tail flash) are Dark grey with White insignia (WM), both bases are T-38A models. Holloman (HO) has (Black with white insignia) some for now, but they are being sent out to Langley to be aggressor jets for Raptors, as the Raptor is phased out of Holloman all together.
Jetnfast is offline Find More Posts by Jetnfast
Old Mar 13, 2012, 12:41 PM
Corporate Jet Mech
KVNY
Joined Oct 2006
72 Posts
Ha!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by corsair nut View Post
i remember seeing your miller t38 at best in the west. the tail wind was crazy. didnt you get it super far away and was barely able to see it enough to get it back?
Your memory serves you right. Yeah, I got 157 officially, after taking it to 3000 feet (unofficially) and dropping the nose going with the wind!!! The engine ended up quitting after that pass which was the Achilles heal of the model. I was with another guy with the Byron F-15 that imploded one fan unit and sucked the pieces into the other, causing it to quit too. Crazy days. Thats also when there was the first turbine I ever saw, which we all stopped and watched. I think it was Bob Violett and an F-86 (or a T-33???)...Nowadays, you cant walk through the pits at Apollo in the SFV without tripping over a turbine powered jet!!!

This thing will be amazing, partly because of the lightweight foam construction, the size, and the reliability of the powerplant, single, twin, or whatever. I'm totally jealous!!! How can people look at some of these in flight photos posted and not think the T-38 is the sexiest thing out there???????

Said it before, saying it again. The only thing better than a T-38 is a gigantic T-38. KUTGW!!

Halownr
Halownr is offline Find More Posts by Halownr
Last edited by Halownr; Mar 13, 2012 at 12:46 PM. Reason: remembered???
Old Mar 13, 2012, 02:15 PM
Capt. Z
Tonopah, Nevada
Joined Dec 2004
2,540 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AIR SALLY View Post
.what are you using to plug the wings into ?
Hi Rodger,

Wings plug into phenolic sockits, whitch is mounted in ply wood formers inside the fuselage. The 1/2" aluminum tubes that slide into the phenolic sockets have an aditional 3/8" aluminum tube that will be inside of it that runs the complete width of the fuselage.
Old Mar 13, 2012, 03:01 PM
Fly it like you STOL it!
United Kingdom, London
Joined Dec 2010
6,821 Posts
Pics Pics Pics Pics Pics Pics Pics Pics
Keenan smith is offline Find More Posts by Keenan smith
Old Mar 13, 2012, 05:13 PM
deltas are cool
Tehachapi ,CA.
Joined Apr 2006
20,433 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetnfast View Post
Your thinking of Beale (BB), their jets are black with Red insignia, our Whiteman companion trainer (CPT) jets (WM tail flash) are Dark grey with White insignia (WM), both bases are T-38A models. Holloman (HO) has (Black with white insignia) some for now, but they are being sent out to Langley to be aggressor jets for Raptors, as the Raptor is phased out of Holloman all together.
i thought back in the early 90's WM was using some black ones ...there pilots flew to Edwards to get prof flights on the B-2 we had here.
AIR SALLY is online now Find More Posts by AIR SALLY
Old Mar 13, 2012, 07:44 PM
DELTAS RULE
tehachapi, CA
Joined Jan 2006
21,490 Posts
yep, i was about 11-12 at the time. im pretty sure that it was a bvm T-33....it was my first time seeing a turbine too, and we were amazed.

ha! i remember that F-15. fan blew up on takeoff or something, and it ended up landing bedind the burm on the belly tank, only minor damage to the landing gear if i recall.

the speed contest was insane because there was like 20mph tail wind lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halownr View Post
Your memory serves you right. Yeah, I got 157 officially, after taking it to 3000 feet (unofficially) and dropping the nose going with the wind!!! The engine ended up quitting after that pass which was the Achilles heal of the model. I was with another guy with the Byron F-15 that imploded one fan unit and sucked the pieces into the other, causing it to quit too. Crazy days. Thats also when there was the first turbine I ever saw, which we all stopped and watched. I think it was Bob Violett and an F-86 (or a T-33???)...Nowadays, you cant walk through the pits at Apollo in the SFV without tripping over a turbine powered jet!!!

This thing will be amazing, partly because of the lightweight foam construction, the size, and the reliability of the powerplant, single, twin, or whatever. I'm totally jealous!!! How can people look at some of these in flight photos posted and not think the T-38 is the sexiest thing out there???????

Said it before, saying it again. The only thing better than a T-38 is a gigantic T-38. KUTGW!!

Halownr
corsair nut is online now Find More Posts by corsair nut