HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 23, 2011, 11:45 PM
DFC~ We Do Flyin' Right
USA, GA, Atlanta
Joined Nov 2008
14,131 Posts
How do I learn how to master the foam like this?

Where should I begin, could anyone suggest a project that will teach me how to shape foam to get this type of finish?
bsbauman is offline Find More Posts by bsbauman
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 24, 2011, 12:00 AM
Capt. Z
Tonopah, Nevada
Joined Dec 2004
2,540 Posts
Thanks guy's..

Roger: Yeah Charlotte is a keeper..she puts up with my builds like a champ although she did raise an eyebrow when I told her this one was going to be 12 feet long.

bsbouman: Thanks for your kind words but I am no master, far from it..Actualy making a foam box airframe like this is not too hard. Basic box construction with foam in the corners so you can round it out and that's about it. The 3 view drawings pretty much tell you were to cut and you just shape it by hand. Get yourself a good file with a long handle on it and some 150, 220, 320 grit sandpaper and go to work.
falcon5 is offline Find More Posts by falcon5
Old Dec 24, 2011, 02:53 AM
building building building!
Melbourne Australia
Joined Jun 2006
5,041 Posts
subscribed!! Nothing like big foam planes!!
aerophilia is online now Find More Posts by aerophilia
Old Dec 24, 2011, 04:54 AM
If in doubt, add accelerant
United Kingdom, England, Stansted Mountfitchet
Joined May 2007
1,825 Posts
Are you going to be glassing this bird?

Looks fantastic! Keep building.

Luke
Lberry.88 is offline Find More Posts by Lberry.88
Old Dec 24, 2011, 07:37 AM
Crystal River Fl.
Joined Jul 2008
3,681 Posts
Andy!!! A W E S O M E ! ! ! ! Man this is BIG !!! Beautiful so far,,, Man I gota try to get to Vegas... Brent,, when you starting??? More pics! Merry Christmas Everyone and Happy Holidays!!! w.
Waltjg is offline Find More Posts by Waltjg
Old Dec 24, 2011, 07:56 AM
Now in TN!
Chapel Hill, TN USA
Joined Apr 2001
24,028 Posts
This build is so AWESOME!

J
J Morgan is offline Find More Posts by J Morgan
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: OV-10A Bronco from Palmer Plans
Old Dec 24, 2011, 08:30 AM
Joined Oct 2009
1,039 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by falcon5 View Post
Mega Talon, by Falcon5 and Corsair Nut.

I always considered the T-38 to be one of the sexiest aircraft and It has always been a favorite. Well the time has come to finally build one. A big one....ok..a very BIG one. ..OK two very big ones.

Yes, this will actually be the build thread for two 1/4 scale T-38's , one by me and the other by Corsair Nut. Nut and I will each build one of these giant aircraft and fly them in formation. We will both take our time and do our builds at our own pace and will both post our progress here. Here is what I have done so far. This is about 7 days of work so to get to this point it goes together prety fast.

Length=144"
Wing Span=82"
EDF units= To be determined
Hey Falcon,,
Did you and larry Ross go to the same school together..lol
He has built some huge planes as well and it looks to me you have it down and under control..:
Great looking plane,,
Later,
Lenny
lennyboy is offline Find More Posts by lennyboy
Old Dec 24, 2011, 08:48 AM
Canada, ON, Windsor
Joined Apr 2008
961 Posts
HOLY THYIT!!!!!

After working with Carl Bachuber when he comes down here, this would be a great Giant Scale Rally addition.

This is the first time I've tried to do this. Can you subscribe to just this thread of your entire blog?
Cougar429 is offline Find More Posts by Cougar429
Old Dec 24, 2011, 10:19 AM
DELTAS RULE
tehachapi, CA
Joined Jan 2006
21,492 Posts
i plan to compete in giant scale events with mine.
walt i should be starting next week sometime...
corsair nut is offline Find More Posts by corsair nut
Old Dec 24, 2011, 10:22 AM
it wasn't me flying that plane
United States, NC, Wilmington
Joined Mar 2011
704 Posts
Here's a cool little treat for you guys....
It's the whole (Great Planes) episode of the T38-F5-F20 family of aircraft...
If you look on the sidebar you can watch the episodes for the F-16,F18,F-105
F-14 and others..Great episodes to watch on these incredible aircraft..

The T-38 episode talks about the small engines that weigh only 500-550 lbs,..
And can be changed out by 3 men in 20 minutes...Now thats fast!!Badass little birds they are!!!

Discovery Channel Great Planes Northrop F 5 Freedom Fighter (49 min 17 sec)
Hover or die is offline Find More Posts by Hover or die
Old Dec 24, 2011, 11:03 AM
Capt. Z
Tonopah, Nevada
Joined Dec 2004
2,540 Posts
Thanks John,

Hi Walt, ..Yep were gona' have to try and talk you into Vegas next year.

Thanks for the video Hover..pretty cool.

Well leaving town for the holidays and should be back in full swing on the T-38 after the first of the year..Everyone have a wonderful holiday.!!! and happy new year!!!

Still wrestling with the nose hump on the T-38 and am closing in on it but I still haven't hit the sweet spot yet. I think a few more add spackle and sand to shape sessions and I will have it.

It was asked if the plane would be glassed. Not the fues but a light cloth will be used on the wings. The fues on mine will get a blend of polycrylic and spakle mix. The focus on this plane will be build it light. I hope to stay under 25 pounds with a twin set up and Brent may be going for 20 pounds with a high power single set up. But in the end efforts will be made to be as light as posible.
falcon5 is offline Find More Posts by falcon5
Last edited by falcon5; Dec 24, 2011 at 11:31 AM.
Old Dec 24, 2011, 11:06 AM
-----
Ireland, County Kerry, Kerry
Joined Dec 2005
6,888 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingW View Post
Andy,

Cool. 1" blue foam is a good material. Your subject is awesome.

White Gorilla is not a contact glue. It's one of those expanding polyurethane type of glues. The Gorilla white is fast-drying - enough to handle the parts in about 20-30 minutes.

You have to get the knack of it - it takes some experimentation to figure out how much to use to get just the right amount of expansion to fill the joint. You have to wet the gluing area with water to get the best results as water acts as a catalyst (note however that it is not water-based - in fact, if you get it on your hands you have to wipe it off immediately to avoid stained fingers).

If you use too much glue and you have to wipe off the oozing excess with a paper towel as it cures - but you still get a good strong if not pretty joint.

It's very effective for gluing spars or hard points into roughly hogged channels in foam as it is strong and lightweight. I've had some luck with taping over the joint, but in general I wouldn't use it on the exterior where you are going for a nice finish. It can be sanded though so it's not a disaster if too much oozes out.

Other than all that, it's great stuff!

Good luck,

Paul
I don't know about there, but recently I tried to source white glue direct from Gorilla, and was told that this product is no longer being manufactured. It might be worthwhile to have a check on that, and perhaps stock up on what you can if there are signs that this is happened there too...
Woodstock 1 is offline Find More Posts by Woodstock 1
Old Dec 24, 2011, 11:37 AM
United States, MO, Warrensburg
Joined Feb 2008
2,251 Posts
Looks great! I agree its a fine looking jet, I am very lucky to fly the full scale one (T-38 "A" model) as a companion trainer to my other jet. I will be watching this thread closely!
Jetnfast is offline Find More Posts by Jetnfast
Old Dec 24, 2011, 12:05 PM
Official Boat Bum
United States, NV, Reno
Joined Mar 2000
7,012 Posts
Jimmeny Christmas! Those inlets are sAweeet! I'm a big fan of foam scratch building too, but this is, of course, off the hook.

I'm even more impressed that you guys are building it as a team effort. This will be very cool and I'd love to see these bad boys in person.
Eddie P is offline Find More Posts by Eddie P
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 24, 2011, 12:08 PM
United States, OH, Reynoldsburg
Joined May 2004
1,541 Posts
" WOW "

Woody
W. X. Davis is offline Find More Posts by W. X. Davis