HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 25, 2012, 06:33 PM
Canada, AB, Airdrie
Joined Oct 2001
2,280 Posts
Where can I buy this Sprayfoam? do I need to buy it direct?
gbruce is offline Find More Posts by gbruce
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 25, 2012, 07:12 PM
Capt. Z
Tonopah, Nevada
Joined Dec 2004
2,505 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbruce View Post
Where can I buy this Sprayfoam? do I need to buy it direct?
Hi gbruce,

It's actualy a hard shell polymer that self levels and does not need much sanding. It drys to a very hard epoxy like coating. You can get it at

http://www.industrialpolymers.com/pr...st/styrospray/

or order by phone 1-800-766-3832
falcon5 is offline Find More Posts by falcon5
Old Jan 25, 2012, 08:01 PM
Crystal River Fl.
Joined Jul 2008
3,681 Posts
Andy, awesome stuff,,, I'd like to see that styro spray too... anyway, if you get a chance, could you post your Euro Fighter specs? fans? motors? batteries? anything else? gear/retracts? bungee launch?? Keep up the fantastic work!!! w.
Waltjg is offline Find More Posts by Waltjg
Old Jan 25, 2012, 08:33 PM
I make bad look so good.
League City, Texas
Joined Sep 2006
2,501 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by erh7771 View Post
I use half in pink board, 2 inch blue board both are 15ps but is relatively strong
Strong and dent resistant aren't the same thing. Swing on over to the composites section of RCG.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=323741
SteveC68 is offline Find More Posts by SteveC68
Last edited by SteveC68; Jan 25, 2012 at 08:42 PM.
Old Jan 25, 2012, 08:45 PM
Official Boat Bum
United States, NV, Reno
Joined Mar 2000
6,805 Posts
Falcon, can you tell me how much weight you gained in adding the surface finish to your fuselage? I'm really interested in this stuff. Not so much as a basic foam applicant, but something to "fill the weave" of my glassed foam surfaces. This may be the missing link for me if it's reasonably light. I like the idea of it. Filling weave with primer is light for sure but it's very fume intensive and requires several coats and is messy. I'd love to "roll on" a finish onto finished parts or put some into my HVLP spray gun and make some thin coats just thick enough to fill the weave of the cured cloth.

Both this coating and epoxy resin have the same weight per gallon. I know I can do a lot better weight wise using primer, but it's messy and more labor intensive. So maybe I've answered my own question...
Eddie P is online now Find More Posts by Eddie P
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 25, 2012, 09:02 PM
Capt. Z
Tonopah, Nevada
Joined Dec 2004
2,505 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie P View Post
Falcon, can you tell me how much weight you gained in adding the surface finish to your fuselage? I'm really interested in this stuff. Not so much as a basic foam applicant, but something to "fill the weave" of my glassed foam surfaces. This may be the missing link for me if it's reasonably light. I like the idea of it. Filling weave with primer is light for sure but it's very fume intensive and requires several coats and is messy. I'd love to "roll on" a finish onto finished parts or put some into my HVLP spray gun and make some thin coats just thick enough to fill the weave of the cured cloth.

Both this coating and epoxy resin have the same weight per gallon. I know I can do a lot better weight wise using primer, but it's messy and more labor intensive. So maybe I've answered my own question...
Sorry Eddie didn't weigh the plane prior and after application, I wish I did though. I glassed the inside of the fuselage first and that seemed just by feel anyway that the fuselage was noticeably heavier. Then the next day after all the internal glassing was cured I put the outside coating on and it didn't feel much heavier but I know that's no way to judge so i'm not really sure. I only did a thin outer coat just for dent protection but I hear of guys doing 3 and 4 coats of it to get a thick layer of protection.
There is extensive testing with the stuff on the "other" r/c site and that's were I first heard of it. A guy did a bunch of tests with it like weight and everything else. If you can't find it let me know and I will dig around for it and PM you the link.

Thanks Walt, . The Euro is a total blast to fly, one reason is it so simple and inexpensive. Cheap foam, cheap fans, cheap batts so I can really yank it around the sky without fear of loosing an expensive plane. The basic numbers are 96" long, 64" wing span, two Hayoe 5" fans with Turnegy 4030-880 motors and Air Sally inlet rings, E-flight 120 electric retracts and 4" foam wheels. 18.5 pounds with 17 pounds thrust for killer verticals
Kinda funny I actualy feel like grunting thru the high G turns as if I am in the dang thing..I do this manuver were I take off suck up the gear and pull to the vertical and do a split S back down..bring it right over the lake bed with motors off and drop the gear at the last second and land. This is the kind plane to horse around with..very fun, and not a big loss should it be dumb thumed in experimenting with a new manuver.
Last edited by falcon5; Jan 25, 2012 at 09:32 PM.
Old Jan 25, 2012, 09:22 PM
Official Boat Bum
United States, NV, Reno
Joined Mar 2000
6,805 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by falcon5 View Post
Sorry Eddie didn't weigh the plane prior and after application, I wish I did though.
Be a bro and weigh up the wings before and after. If it's easy enough to do, that is. On an airplane this big, it may not be easy to do. and this is about you building your airplane, so my "request" should not be considered unless it interests you and is easy to do! I don't want to get you off track.

RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 25, 2012, 09:28 PM
Capt. Z
Tonopah, Nevada
Joined Dec 2004
2,505 Posts
Quote:
Be a bro and weigh up the wings before and after. If it's easy enough to do, that is. On an airplane this big, it may not be easy to do. and this is about you building your airplane, so my "request" should not be considered unless it interests you and is easy to do! I don't want to get you off track.

No prob. I will weigh them, but the wings will be getting 100% glassing with most likely 6 or 8 oz cloth and west systems resin. The Styrospray coating was just for the fuselage so I did't have to glass around all the complex curves and stuff.
Old Jan 25, 2012, 11:19 PM
United States, IL, Edwardsville
Joined Dec 2011
209 Posts
Does the Eurofighter have any airfoil or is it a slab for the wing?
flyingfitz737 is offline Find More Posts by flyingfitz737
Old Jan 26, 2012, 09:50 AM
Official Boat Bum
United States, NV, Reno
Joined Mar 2000
6,805 Posts
Gotta say - I'm pretty impressed with the EF as well
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 26, 2012, 10:22 AM
United States, TX, Grand Prairie
Joined Nov 2005
5,598 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by falcon5 View Post
Wow I had no idea not glassing the outside of the bird would generate such a buzz. Good to get opinions on all sides, I like it. Glassing is great I guess but in the past I never used it as a structural component. I relied on carbon/aluminum rod, ply wood, and other reinforcing techniques. I guess I like to use what has worked for me in the past.
In preparation for the T-38 I did do a test airplane prior to the start of this build built out of 1” blue foam to see how the 1” foam would perform and what kind of stress a box structure airframe built out of this stuff could handle. I also wanted to see how foam wheels on a semi heavy airplane would perform, and a few other things. So I built a 96” long sport scale Euro fighter that weighs 18.5 pounds built all from 1” blue foam. I put two Hayoe 5” fans in it with about 17 pounds thrust total. I flew the snot out of it for two and a half months, testing everything from full deflection rolls at high speed, to high speed dives with hard pull ups along with stalls, spins and a host of other maneuvers. I really tried to put the 1" blue foam thru it paces and stress it to the max. The airplane performed flawlessly, and didn’t have any structural issues not being glassed, It was and still is a great structurally sound airplane to go yank and bank out at the lake bed with because of solid structural reinforcing using aluminum rod and ply, balsa leading and trailing edges, and so on. The rest of the foam structure just goes along for the ride.

Due to this T-38 being heavier and bigger then the test Euro I did choose to glass reinforce much of the inside fuselage as a token but I will mainly rely on my tried and true methods for the main structural integrity of the airframe and step up those methods as needed to be sure I have a structurally sound airframe to handle what the plane will be designed to do.
AH, this is you who did the EF and posted picks in the T4030 thread...didn't put 2&2 together, figured I saw the rug before ....

How many layers of LS did you put on your F5 fuse?

Jus saw a pic of it and it came out pretty good, very similar to what I've seen gloss wise to pink foam but I've only tried it on flat pieces were none could run off.

thx in advance
erh7771 is online now Find More Posts by erh7771
Last edited by erh7771; Jan 26, 2012 at 10:37 AM.
Old Jan 26, 2012, 10:36 AM
United States, TX, Grand Prairie
Joined Nov 2005
5,598 Posts
Quote:
Gotta say - I'm pretty impressed with the EF as well
It's worthy of it's own build thread

Would love to know were the structural reinforcements were made.

17lbs of thrust on an 18lb plane for ~ 400usd = stay out all day and get hollered at for not callin kinda fun.

This guy is using haoyes also in his Eurofighter, prolly built from foam

This guy did his eurofighter with the same Haoye fans but he and his dad modified them somehow, they are supper quite.

Eurofighter Typhoon RC Jet Big Scale Twin 127mm EDF Maidenflight (4 min 33 sec)
erh7771 is online now Find More Posts by erh7771
Old Jan 26, 2012, 01:08 PM
Capt. Z
Tonopah, Nevada
Joined Dec 2004
2,505 Posts
Interesting test. Not scientific in any way but kinda interesting. I took four pieces of the 1" blue foam cut in a 6" square and glassed one with 3/4oz cloth and west systems, the next with 2 oz cloth and west systems and the third just two coats of Styrospray and the fourth bare foam. After they cured for two days I tried to break them just with my bare hands. I was able to crack the bare foam kinda easy with just my hands, The 3/4oz glassed piec took a little effort but I was able to break it. But no matter how hard and with all my strength in my bare hands I could not crack the 2 oz glassed piece or the styrosprayed piece. I used 6" square pieces so I could only get so much leverage with just bare hands. Now I am sure if I realy put my mind to it and tryed busting over knee or something maybe I could get them to break...hey let me try that...
So in my estimation the two coats of styrospray increases strength somewhere in-between 3/4 oz glass and 2oz. Again not scientific just kind of a gee wis that's kinda cool test.
Last edited by falcon5; Jan 26, 2012 at 01:15 PM.
Old Jan 26, 2012, 01:20 PM
Capt. Z
Tonopah, Nevada
Joined Dec 2004
2,505 Posts
Ok I just gave it everything I have, even tryed useing the edge of the table and could not break the 2 oz glassed or the styrospray, The 2oz glassed peic flexed and bent a little but did not snap. Acutaly the Styro spray feels stronger than the 2 oz glassed.
Old Jan 26, 2012, 01:58 PM
Joined Nov 2008
37 Posts
Hey Falcon... can you weigh each of your test pieces?
j32driver is offline Find More Posts by j32driver