HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 14, 2012, 10:51 AM
Capt. Z
Tonopah, Nevada
Joined Dec 2004
2,540 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexandermh View Post
Question for you "foam masters." When I glue foam box sections together (like you have), and then round the corners, I have a ridge of whatever glue I'm using (hot glue, epoxy, or whatever) which runs right down my nicely rounded corner. How are you getting rid of that problem? Thanks. Mark
Hi Mark,

This is my second major scratch build so I am still kind of a noob on much of the technical stuff and maybe the more experienced guys can pipe up on this one but I try and use the softest glue I can when I know it's going to be sanded like in a corner. The 3M-77 I used for this project is very soft and sands real good. Uhu Por is another good glue that sands well. I think the ridge comes from the soft foam is sanded away easily but the hard glue is more resistant to sanding so the ridge forms.
falcon5 is offline Find More Posts by falcon5
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 14, 2012, 11:53 AM
Crystal River Fl.
Joined Jul 2008
3,681 Posts
Mark, also what works really well is elmers rubber cement. Comes in a jar with an attached brush, you can get it at wally for like $1.60 in the craft section(Elmers also makes a more expensive type for pictures for like a $1 more, but the original works real good). Brush on both surfaces, let dry(about a min) put together, make sure your lined up, works like contact cement so no adjusting when you put them together.. and the bonus is it sands like it isn't even there!!! Give it a try! Good luck! w.
Waltjg is offline Find More Posts by Waltjg
Old Jan 15, 2012, 01:24 AM
DELTAS RULE
tehachapi, CA
Joined Jan 2006
21,492 Posts
sorry guys.....no progress today other than cutting my fuses' in half. ended up spending 4 hours fixing my sister in laws car because some dip s$%^ put locktite on her oil drain plug...had to drill it out....that was fun...then, got roped into helping my wife paint the inside of the house for the last 4 hours. grrrrrrrr.....
corsair nut is online now Find More Posts by corsair nut
Old Jan 15, 2012, 02:38 AM
Singapore, Singapore
Joined Jan 2006
329 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by corsair nut View Post
got roped into helping my wife paint the inside of the house for the last 4 hours. grrrrrrrr.....
Welcome to the real world. "Should of taken the blue pill......."
skyracer068 is offline Find More Posts by skyracer068
Old Jan 15, 2012, 04:26 AM
Now in TN!
Chapel Hill, TN USA
Joined Apr 2001
24,028 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyracer068 View Post

J
J Morgan is offline Find More Posts by J Morgan
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: OV-10A Bronco from Palmer Plans
Old Jan 15, 2012, 07:09 AM
Ham Call Sign: KK4KGJ
United States, GA, Stone Mountain
Joined May 2006
2,255 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyracer068 View Post
hehe
Buzz Bomb is offline Find More Posts by Buzz Bomb
Old Jan 15, 2012, 08:46 AM
Crystal River Fl.
Joined Jul 2008
3,681 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by corsair nut View Post
sorry guys.....no progress today other than cutting my fuses' in half. ended up spending 4 hours fixing my sister in laws car because some dip s$%^ put locktite on her oil drain plug...had to drill it out....that was fun...then, got roped into helping my wife paint the inside of the house for the last 4 hours. grrrrrrrr.....
Ok,,, so you had last night, and ALLLL day today! Let's see some headway and some pics by the eod today! w.
Old Jan 15, 2012, 10:18 AM
DELTAS RULE
tehachapi, CA
Joined Jan 2006
21,492 Posts
nope...church now and i have to go into work tonight....
Old Jan 16, 2012, 05:40 AM
Fairborn, OH
Joined Nov 2009
544 Posts
"I think the ridge comes from the soft foam is sanded away easily but the hard glue is more resistant to sanding so the ridge forms."

That's the problem. Thanks guys. I'll try some of your suggestions. For the projects already underway with a hard epoxy ridge, I think I'll use my dremel grinder and take it out and just spackle for shape. Now back to our regularly scheduled program. :-)
alexandermh is offline Find More Posts by alexandermh
Old Jan 16, 2012, 07:03 AM
it wasn't me flying that plane
United States, NC, Wilmington
Joined Mar 2011
704 Posts
alexander,
you can also use a fresh new razorblade and cut the ridge off and use a little spackle to get the shape back to what you like..Since you have already glued this might help to fix the proflem and try something different for next round like the glue Walt suggested....
Take care............................Chris
Hover or die is offline Find More Posts by Hover or die
Old Jan 17, 2012, 12:23 AM
DELTAS RULE
tehachapi, CA
Joined Jan 2006
21,492 Posts
found 2" thick sheet of pink foam today for wing cores. with any luck well habe cores in a week or so......
Old Jan 17, 2012, 12:53 AM
Do it Right, the first time!
United States, MN, Hermantown
Joined Dec 2008
4,959 Posts
CN, is that foam Owens-Corning Foamular? The 150 or 250? The 2" now is 23.88 for a 2"x4'x8' . When I bought mine it was only 18.00. What's the going rate down your way?

We have it avaliable all year long, they use it a lot for insulating basements up here. I used the 3M 78, and it works well, but a definate hard ridge on the glue joint. Great build. Will stay tuned.
CoolerByTheLake is offline Find More Posts by CoolerByTheLake
Old Jan 17, 2012, 06:59 AM
Crystal River Fl.
Joined Jul 2008
3,681 Posts
Ok you guys,,,, where are the pics?? and the progress reports?? we're waiting here... w.
Old Jan 17, 2012, 10:48 AM
Capt. Z
Tonopah, Nevada
Joined Dec 2004
2,540 Posts
Well allot of plotting and planning done this weekend with a small amount of building. Got the gear door bays cut and made the doors. Also got the wing tube position plotted and drilled with all the ply parts made to support the tubes. All the nose gear mounting ply parts also made. Waiting on struts to get here before I do a final nose gear mount then I can start servoing up the doors.

Yeah Like Brent said anyone wanting to fly flight simulator with us it is soooo addicting. They have come such a long way with the flight sims these days that with a few add ons they are pretty realistic.

Last night we did a simulated engine failer in a T-33 in formation with strong cross winds and bad weather and after we landed I had a little white knuckles going on.
falcon5 is offline Find More Posts by falcon5
Last edited by falcon5; Jan 17, 2012 at 10:54 AM.
Old Jan 17, 2012, 11:06 AM
Team EJF >>>WHOOSH>>>
Joined Jul 2004
5,211 Posts

^^^
Understatement.
AceMigKiller is online now Find More Posts by AceMigKiller