HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 26, 2012, 05:05 PM
DELTAS RULE
tehachapi, CA
Joined Jan 2006
22,102 Posts
just realized that was #556 in that video! damn, almost 559.

jetnfast, yeah, cira 60's looks like.

you flying B-2's now? i thought you were a 16 jock
corsair nut is online now Find More Posts by corsair nut
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 26, 2012, 05:24 PM
deltas are cool
Tehachapi ,CA.
Joined Apr 2006
20,804 Posts
if he answewrs that .....he might be flying rubber dog poop out of china
AIR SALLY is offline Find More Posts by AIR SALLY
Old Oct 26, 2012, 08:39 PM
RC Fanatic
USA, NC, Greensboro
Joined Mar 2002
1,387 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by corsair nut View Post
http://youtu.be/gl7b8owtxpa

cmon wingman!!!!!
love it !!!!!! Nut.....
Reco is offline Find More Posts by Reco
Old Oct 27, 2012, 01:26 AM
DELTAS RULE
tehachapi, CA
Joined Jan 2006
22,102 Posts
man, i had to watch the flight vid over again a few times, man, i think i was high enough to have done a tight circuit to kill alt, and i could have made a normal landing on one motor. crap. freakin 20 20 hindsite bull crap. also, after watching the video, and seeing andys fly as well, i think mine would be every bit as fast as andys with my current power setups. so i think im going to get a new motor to replace the one with the improper kv, and get another cc 120ice controller. while not the most powerful setup by any means, i think it will fly the model in a scale like fasion, and have decent flight times. i feel the motors with proper kv will live just fine. the motor with the proper kv looks to have handled the power no problem. so ill try that route befor ei go spend a ton of money on bigger fans and motors.
Old Oct 27, 2012, 01:35 AM
Do it Right, the first time!
United States, MN, Hermantown
Joined Dec 2008
5,428 Posts
C/N Did you ever run the motors with a watt meter? Or just an approx guess on Kw?
CoolerByTheLake is offline Find More Posts by CoolerByTheLake
Old Oct 27, 2012, 01:45 AM
DELTAS RULE
tehachapi, CA
Joined Jan 2006
22,102 Posts
around 5kw. i do need to check the CC ice 120, to see if it still has the data from the flight, though the ice controllers typically are off by about 5-10% on amp draw, but rpm should be correct.
Old Oct 27, 2012, 02:05 AM
Do it Right, the first time!
United States, MN, Hermantown
Joined Dec 2008
5,428 Posts
If it still has the data, would you kindly post it? Thanks.
CoolerByTheLake is offline Find More Posts by CoolerByTheLake
Old Oct 27, 2012, 08:37 AM
Now in TN!
Chapel Hill, TN USA
Joined Apr 2001
24,373 Posts
I don't think you can blame yourself Nut. You did a great job getting it down on the runway and if it hadn't been for the cable at the end you wouldn't have had half the damage. ( Why are those cables there anyway, they don't stop anything but airplanes!)Like I said before, if you had been at a dry lakebed then you wouldn't have any damage.
And I think anyone who saw the smoke pop out of it would have made the same instant decision.

J
J Morgan is offline Find More Posts by J Morgan
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: OV-10A Bronco from Palmer Plans
Old Oct 27, 2012, 09:43 AM
RC Fanatic
USA, NC, Greensboro
Joined Mar 2002
1,387 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Morgan View Post
I don't think you can blame yourself Nut. You did a great job getting it down on the runway and if it hadn't been for the cable at the end you wouldn't have had half the damage. ( Why are those cables there anyway, they don't stop anything but airplanes!)Like I said before, if you had been at a dry lakebed then you wouldn't have any damage.
And I think anyone who saw the smoke pop out of it would have made the same instant decision.

J
I smoked a ESC in my 60" Cessna 182 and I did the same thing nut, came in too hot and ran out of runway. I was in a panic cause it was on fire.
Reco is offline Find More Posts by Reco
Old Oct 27, 2012, 11:55 AM
United States, MO, Warrensburg
Joined Feb 2008
2,253 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by corsair nut View Post
just realized that was #556 in that video! damn, almost 559.

jetnfast, yeah, cira 60's looks like.

you flying B-2's now? i thought you were a 16 jock
Yup, I applied and got hired, it was a needed change of pace and lifestyle. We wanted a stable CONUS assignment, and the B-2 fit the bill. Its a great lifestyle so far, lots of time for RC and my 8 month old boy, plus I get to fly the B-2 and the T-38.
Jetnfast is offline Find More Posts by Jetnfast
Old Oct 27, 2012, 06:22 PM
deltas are cool
Tehachapi ,CA.
Joined Apr 2006
20,804 Posts
hope you can come to Eddies for a prof flight sometime
AIR SALLY is offline Find More Posts by AIR SALLY
Old Oct 28, 2012, 08:10 AM
United States, MO, Warrensburg
Joined Feb 2008
2,253 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AIR SALLY View Post
hope you can come to Eddies for a prof flight sometime
I definitely need to, some other guys were out there this weekend, but I think they stopped at PMD.
Jetnfast is offline Find More Posts by Jetnfast
Old Oct 28, 2012, 11:13 PM
DELTAS RULE
tehachapi, CA
Joined Jan 2006
22,102 Posts
ok so i looked at the data in the ice controller from the flight. revealed that i was just about exactly where i thought i was. settled to about 110A, 5100W or so.

i also discovered that i think the one motor is 1400KV. i didnt have a ice on that one, so theres no way to tell what it was pulling in flight.
Old Oct 28, 2012, 11:30 PM
United States, CA, Lancaster
Joined Jan 2009
1,243 Posts
Did you look in the burned up controller to see which bank burned up. If its a single bank it could be because of a shorted motor phase or a feedback issue from the motor disrupting the switching of the controller. If its more than one bank it could be because of over current.
Anyway does CC repair controllers? I have repaired some controllers by replacing a bank of FET with To220 or SO 8 packages (irf7413 or similar). I do not have the equipment for the smaller packages.
p901P901 is offline Find More Posts by p901P901
Last edited by p901P901; Oct 28, 2012 at 11:43 PM.
Old Oct 28, 2012, 11:45 PM
DELTAS RULE
tehachapi, CA
Joined Jan 2006
22,102 Posts
it was a turnigy 120. th entire board was smoked. it got so hot, it unsoldered the power wires and the motor wires from the board. pretty crazy, ive never seen that happen. since i was apparently running a 1400kv motor marked as a 1200kv motor, im sure i was 130A+ probably more. if i would have known that, i wuld have never tried to fly it. goes to show you should always check amp draw.