HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 24, 2012, 09:29 AM
Now in TN!
Chapel Hill, TN USA
Joined Apr 2001
24,764 Posts
Those are Stumax fans Tony and it is amazing how real they sound, just absolutely awesome!

J
J Morgan is offline Find More Posts by J Morgan
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: OV-10A Bronco from Palmer Plans
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 24, 2012, 11:36 AM
DELTAS RULE
tehachapi, CA
Joined Jan 2006
22,829 Posts
yeah, you wont get that sound from a pusher prop.......

my plan is to fix my bird, and do a complete repaint of mine. i really wasnt happy with the paint, and i put too much on to boot. lots of runs. so im going to sand it all down and re shoot much lighter this time, with no runs hopefully. lol. my re build starts in a week or so. i still need to line up some new fans and motors. that aint gunna be cheap
corsair nut is online now Find More Posts by corsair nut
Old Oct 24, 2012, 12:18 PM
Capt. Z
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Dec 2004
2,655 Posts
Sounds great wingman..she will be better than ever!!!

Yeah Tony Mr. Maxwell designed a great fan and one thing I was sooo glad about is both fans came out of the crash without a scratch and will be back in the air flying in another bird generating that great Stumax jet sound. I was fortunate the only thing that took damage was the airframe and the $$$$ stuff all came out in working order. The trees really cushioned it's fall.

I will sure pay more attention to my solder joints in the future..that's for sure

My neighbor is an electronics tech at the test site and said he thought he was pretty good at soldering until his job sent him to a high level class on it and he said the class kicked his butt. That was a few years ago and he is a real pro now and said he would sit me down and give me a block of instruction on soldering that should really help me out.
falcon5 is offline Find More Posts by falcon5
Last edited by falcon5; Oct 24, 2012 at 12:24 PM.
Old Oct 24, 2012, 02:00 PM
RC Fanatic
USA, NC, Greensboro
Joined Mar 2002
1,457 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by falcon5 View Post
Sounds great wingman..she will be better than ever!!!

Yeah Tony Mr. Maxwell designed a great fan and one thing I was sooo glad about is both fans came out of the crash without a scratch and will be back in the air flying in another bird generating that great Stumax jet sound. I was fortunate the only thing that took damage was the airframe and the $$$$ stuff all came out in working order. The trees really cushioned it's fall.

I will sure pay more attention to my solder joints in the future..that's for sure

My neighbor is an electronics tech at the test site and said he thought he was pretty good at soldering until his job sent him to a high level class on it and he said the class kicked his butt. That was a few years ago and he is a real pro now and said he would sit me down and give me a block of instruction on soldering that should really help me out.
So it was a bad solder joint that brought her down and not a low voltage cutoff? I have been there and done that and it does suck. I am certified in electronics and I can solder pretty well but I have had a good solder job turn out to be very bad lol. Any tips your friend might give you sure would be helpful. Please pass on any tips to us I know I could use them...
Reco is offline Find More Posts by Reco
Old Oct 24, 2012, 02:45 PM
United States, CA, Lancaster
Joined Jan 2009
1,288 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by corsair nut View Post
i still need to line up some new fans and motors. that aint gunna be cheap
So your selling the jetfans?
p901P901 is offline Find More Posts by p901P901
Old Oct 24, 2012, 11:26 PM
deltas are cool
Tehachapi ,CA.
Joined Apr 2006
21,265 Posts
i've had that mil spec solder class it was a good class ...practice the right watts for heat and flux is the key ...and clean wire ...if you twist it up with your fingers ...you need to clean it again.
AIR SALLY is offline Find More Posts by AIR SALLY
Old Oct 24, 2012, 11:29 PM
DELTAS RULE
tehachapi, CA
Joined Jan 2006
22,829 Posts
nope. ill be using them in other models

Quote:
Originally Posted by p901P901 View Post
So your selling the jetfans?
Old Oct 25, 2012, 02:11 AM
Deutschland, BW, Friedrichshafen
Joined Dec 2001
889 Posts
CN what setup did you use?
Jetfan90!?
With 10S.

Hope you have your T38 flying soon again.

regards Martin
MaHö is offline Find More Posts by MaHö
Old Oct 25, 2012, 02:13 AM
DELTAS RULE
tehachapi, CA
Joined Jan 2006
22,829 Posts
jetfan 90 v2, het 700-68-1200 12s 8000 per fan.
Old Oct 25, 2012, 05:52 AM
Banzai Institute
United States, NY, West Seneca
Joined Oct 2005
576 Posts
Hello guy's, On the subject of soldering I can pass on one thing I have learned while making A123 packs. Rather than high watts you need a good size tip on your iron. A large tip will hold the heat and dump it on your joint all at once, while a small tip even at high watts will just slowly transfer the heat until things get to hot. I use this iron for all my bigger soldering jobs. Works great on the the large wire we need for EDF and its cheap.

http://www.acehardware.com/product/i...ductId=1340447

Its a 80 watt Weller and has a nice big fat 3/8th wide chisel tip. Ace hardware usually has them on the shelf. It works great for me. When soldering the A123's I used large NICAD battery bars and I was on and off the cells in less than a second with no heat transferred to the cell body. Same with 10G wire. Tins it in an instant. I also use a tip conditioner paste from radio shack that comes in a small round can. It seems to really help with the heat transfer.

Cheers,
Dean
buckaroo is offline Find More Posts by buckaroo
Old Oct 25, 2012, 02:29 PM
Capt. Z
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Dec 2004
2,655 Posts
Good soldering tips thanks.
falcon5 is offline Find More Posts by falcon5
Old Oct 25, 2012, 09:33 PM
Have Fun! Land, Sea or Air
United States, TX, Austin
Joined Jul 2006
1,358 Posts
A good flux also helps the flow. Just be sure to clean the connections before and after with denatured alcohol. Had some buddies on the ship give me some tips.
jetcaptain is offline Find More Posts by jetcaptain
Old Oct 25, 2012, 09:46 PM
United States, CA, Lancaster
Joined Jan 2009
1,288 Posts
Been soldering for years and I tell you there is nothing like soldering surface mount chips with a 10x microscope. Oddly enough I also soldered large cables with an oxy acetylene torch or even a heat gun.
p901P901 is offline Find More Posts by p901P901
Old Oct 26, 2012, 05:15 PM
DELTAS RULE
tehachapi, CA
Joined Jan 2006
22,829 Posts
USAF T-38 takeoff and flight scenes - "High Flight" (2 min 20 sec)

cmon wingman!!!!!
Old Oct 26, 2012, 05:43 PM
United States, MO, Warrensburg
Joined Feb 2008
2,259 Posts
Thats an Oldie there Nut! Those helmets are cold war era!!
Jetnfast is offline Find More Posts by Jetnfast