HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 20, 2012, 05:17 PM
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Dec 1996
7,937 Posts
Sperling 234 I started a hot-wire-cut eps foam F-86 about 7 or 8 years ago for a MF480. The cad drawing has those old school round cells that I do not miss! I cut the fuselage sections using cardstock templates, glued the sections together with 3M77 (the old black can that didn't eat foam) and then sanded the joints smooth to make a nice transition. I never finished it, I got one half of a fuselage assembled and sanded and then got distracted by other things. This technique requires minimum sanding and gives a shape that's really close to the desired shape after the cut. One could take a block of foam and start carving but that's a lot of work and getting a symmetrical fuselage where both halves match is tough. I saw your Frank conversion of the T-28 and didn't even realize that's what it was till Brent told me...nice work!

You might be able to take an F-86 arf and mod it to create a straight winged Fury using a P-51 wing (can't remember if it has the crank in the leading edge). That'd be a closer starting point than a T-33 I think but anything's possible!

I'm so glad I built the hotwire setup, I bought the power supply at Aircraft Spruce in 1991 I think. Wow, time flies!
Ed Waldrep is offline Find More Posts by Ed Waldrep
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 20, 2012, 05:23 PM
Now in TN!
Chapel Hill, TN USA
Joined Apr 2001
24,782 Posts
Glad to see you guys talking about the rebuilds. These birds are much too important to sit in a corner. Once everything is sorted out you'll have some really cool planes. Hell, they're cool already the way they are.

J
J Morgan is online now Find More Posts by J Morgan
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: OV-10A Bronco from Palmer Plans
Old Oct 20, 2012, 06:01 PM
Florida
Joined Nov 2007
2,538 Posts
Andy & Brent,

I have been following your thread, and I must say what a fabulous job!

You had the guts to try something new and you did it. The planes fly and fly well. I hope to see them back in the air before long.

Thank you for inspiring and helping me to do the T38 kit.

Fahim
awrightbrother is offline Find More Posts by awrightbrother
Old Oct 20, 2012, 06:54 PM
Capt. Z
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Dec 2004
2,655 Posts
Kind words guys Thanks soo much. I bet 10 years from now Brent or I will be able to say hey remember back when we built the 12 foot long T-38's and a couple hundred of our internet friends followed along and helped us out.. Yep memories for life!!!
falcon5 is offline Find More Posts by falcon5
Old Oct 20, 2012, 07:10 PM
Capt. Z
Joined Dec 2004
2,655 Posts
"the thing"

OH man some pucker factor and a good laugh today..got to share.

I built a test bed aircraft a little over a year ago I call the "The Thing" It's a Delta wing test subject I put together before I go ahead and build the 100" EF2000 Eurofighter just to test out some stuff. It's got a face only a mother could love but It's a blast to fly and well.. I took it out today just to blow the dust off it and I tryed a high alpha at 36 seconds into the video and when I was knee deep in the high alpha I had full down to try and get the nose back down but i think a gust of wind cought it and pushed the nose higher so I added full power and flopped over and flew out of it..too funny. ahhh the forgivness of a light wing loaded delta.. Here is a short video. For an 18.5 pound airplane it takes off in like 30 feet

Specs on the "The Thing"

98" long Delta
Two Haoye 5" fans with Air Sally inlet rings.
8s per fan
AUW 18.5 pounds
Thrust around 16 pounds

The Thing1 (1 min 48 sec)
Old Oct 20, 2012, 07:36 PM
Lee Liddle
Carrollton, Tx
Joined Dec 2006
8,541 Posts
I like Thing 1. Looks like fun.

Andy, do you always laugh when you need to change your shorts?
Don`t answer that!
Knife Liddle is online now Find More Posts by Knife Liddle
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 20, 2012, 07:38 PM
deltas are cool
Tehachapi ,CA.
Joined Apr 2006
21,278 Posts
that was priceless ...i bet you thought it was a gonner! the way you chuckeled was like ...yeah just cheated gravity on that one ...that thing is a kite for 18.5 pounds ..has a cool low sound too.
AIR SALLY is online now Find More Posts by AIR SALLY
Old Oct 20, 2012, 08:44 PM
Los Angeles, Ca.
Joined Jun 2010
353 Posts
Straight wing Fury!

Quote:
Originally Posted by corsair nut View Post
it was great to meet you too, and i loved your sweet modded birds!!!!

yeah, the straight wing fury, ive always wanted to build one. this one is a nice size, but not big. 46" wingspan without tip tanks. im doing a glass fuse, so i could probably make you one for the cost of materials. im going to make my own canopy, and do foam cores for wings, balsa sheeted, and 3/4oz cloth. solid 1/4" balsa stabs. im making the wings thick enough to use cheap hk retracts. power will be 70mm fan in the 850-1200W range. such a cool bird, and ive only seen it modeled 2 times in my entire life! the most recent ive seen was a 40mm edf version, and it looks cool! reparts are that it flies great, and why shouldnt it, its a jet powered P-51 basically. super wide gear track will make for a great ground handler should be able to keep it around 5 lbs, and at that weight, the wing loading will be awesome.

heres a couple shots of my modded T-33, inlets and tail pipe area.
I like where your head is at on this! For wings, I think I'd use the wing from the Durafly P-51, the same model I did the Cavalier Mustang from. That wingspan is 43" and I know I could get the rest of the span from widening at the center section since the Fury fuse is wider than the Mustang. I'd also use the Durafly stab as a starting point. If you were to make me a fuse and canopy, maybe I could provide you with some goodies, say tip tanks or a nice pilot and interior?! Since this would be my first edf, I don't want to get too far ahead of myself. The smaller version might be better to go after than something larger...

Do keep me posted on your progress. And yes, to that more scale appearance of the T-33! Thanks too for the nice compliment over on the George thread...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Waldrep View Post
Sperling 234 I started a hot-wire-cut eps foam F-86 about 7 or 8 years ago for a MF480. The cad drawing has those old school round cells that I do not miss! I cut the fuselage sections using cardstock templates, glued the sections together with 3M77 (the old black can that didn't eat foam) and then sanded the joints smooth to make a nice transition. I never finished it, I got one half of a fuselage assembled and sanded and then got distracted by other things. This technique requires minimum sanding and gives a shape that's really close to the desired shape after the cut. One could take a block of foam and start carving but that's a lot of work and getting a symmetrical fuselage where both halves match is tough. I saw your Frank conversion of the T-28 and didn't even realize that's what it was till Brent told me...nice work!

You might be able to take an F-86 arf and mod it to create a straight winged Fury using a P-51 wing (can't remember if it has the crank in the leading edge). That'd be a closer starting point than a T-33 I think but anything's possible!

I'm so glad I built the hotwire setup, I bought the power supply at Aircraft Spruce in 1991 I think. Wow, time flies!
Hey Ed,

Good thoughts about how to approach the Fury. The only problem with using a Sabre as a starting point is that the kits I've found are all a bit too small for what I want. If I do one from one of Brent's fuses or start with the Lander T-33, I will most likely use existing P-51 wings from either 1100mm or 1400mm models. The reason the Lander model is so appealing is because of the impression that it left on me watching fly last weekend. Andy's combination of power to weight gave that bird the perfect proportions of speed and grace. Awesome!

As I mentioned earlier, This model has now gone from being on "the list" to moving way up on it. I'm on the trail of gathering more information to get this one going so I welcome the suggestions, so keep 'em comin'!

Cheers,

Sperling
Sperling234 is offline Find More Posts by Sperling234
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Raiders Wing from Scratch
Old Oct 20, 2012, 09:32 PM
RC Fanatic
USA, NC, Greensboro
Joined Mar 2002
1,458 Posts
Andy that "thing" is awesome. do you have the plans fo the "thing" I would be interested in building a 50% version. Or one that could use 2 X 90mm fans.
Reco is online now Find More Posts by Reco
Old Oct 20, 2012, 10:42 PM
Capt. Z
Joined Dec 2004
2,655 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reco View Post
Andy that "thing" is awesome. do you have the plans fo the "thing" I would be interested in building a 50% version. Or one that could use 2 X 90mm fans.
Yeah Knife that was nearvouse laughter for sure.. .Yep A/S for a second there I thought I was done, but the the super light wing loading saved my bacon for sure.

Hi Reco..the "Thing" is a blown up dinner napin scetch so I don't have plans but what you see in the video is just version 1. Version 2 the public has not seen yet and has some nice mods that make version 1 look kinda lame. I have version 3 on the build table now and the goal is to give out free plans to version 3 once done and flight tested. My standards on this will be very high, so I figure another 8 months before you will see a set of plans.

Standards:

Must be easy to build. ( 45 days or less)
Has to be VERY forgiving
Has to envigorate the sences
You can't figure out everything the airplane can do in just three weekends.
It has to be a plane that you long to fly again.
Easy to transport.
Has the power to be thrilling yet not be an amp hog.
A plane you want your buddies to build just so you can fly formation with them because the plane will have fetures that will make it a formation sweetheart.
Land like a butterfly with soar feet
When you screw up you thank the plane for saveing your bacon.
When you go to an event you start to get anoide that people keep comeing up to you asking when are you going to fly that EF 2000 again.
The other planes in your fleet start to collect dust.

Stay tuned
Last edited by falcon5; Oct 20, 2012 at 10:58 PM.
Old Oct 20, 2012, 10:58 PM
Lee Liddle
Carrollton, Tx
Joined Dec 2006
8,541 Posts
How about some pics of V2. By the time you get V3 ready hopefully I'll be set up for a build like that. Great stuff!
Knife Liddle is online now Find More Posts by Knife Liddle
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 20, 2012, 11:01 PM
RC Fanatic
USA, NC, Greensboro
Joined Mar 2002
1,458 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by falcon5 View Post
Yeah Knife that was nearvouse laughter for sure.. .Yep A/S for a second there I thought I was done, but the the super light wing loading saved my bacon for sure.

Hi Reco..the "Thing" is a blown up dinner napin scetch so I don't have plans but what you see in the video is just version 1. Version 2 the public has not seen yet and has some nice mods that make version 1 look kinda lame. I have version 3 on the build table now and the goal is to give out free plans to version 3 once done and flight tested. My standards on this will be very high, so I figure another 8 months before you will see a set of plans.

Standards:

Must be easy to build. ( 45 days or less)
Has to be VERY forgiving
Has to envigorate the sences
You can't figure out everything the airplane can do in just three weekends.
It has to be a plane that you long to fly again.
Easy to transport.
Has the power to be thrilling yet not be an amp hog.
A plane you want your buddies to build just so you can fly formation with them because the plane will have fetures that will make it a formation sweetheart.
Land like a butterfly with soar feet
When you screw up you thank the plane for saveing your bacon.
When you go to an event you start to get anoide that people keep comeing up to you asking when are you going to fly that EF 2000 again.
The other planes in your fleet start to collect dust.

Stay tuned
Thanks Andy looking forward to it. Is this a early version of the Typhoon you plan on building?
Reco is online now Find More Posts by Reco
Old Oct 20, 2012, 11:15 PM
deltas are cool
Tehachapi ,CA.
Joined Apr 2006
21,278 Posts
234 bigger flies better and it is easier to see.
AIR SALLY is online now Find More Posts by AIR SALLY
Old Oct 22, 2012, 10:37 AM
United States, VA, Suffolk
Joined Nov 2007
1,094 Posts
I wouldnt mind having the 'glass and foam parts for one of those myself!

Quote:
Originally Posted by corsair nut View Post
it was great to meet you too, and i loved your sweet modded birds!!!!

yeah, the straight wing fury, ive always wanted to build one. this one is a nice size, but not big. 46" wingspan without tip tanks. im doing a glass fuse, so i could probably make you one for the cost of materials. im going to make my own canopy, and do foam cores for wings, balsa sheeted, and 3/4oz cloth. solid 1/4" balsa stabs. im making the wings thick enough to use cheap hk retracts. power will be 70mm fan in the 850-1200W range. such a cool bird, and ive only seen it modeled 2 times in my entire life! the most recent ive seen was a 40mm edf version, and it looks cool! reparts are that it flies great, and why shouldnt it, its a jet powered P-51 basically. super wide gear track will make for a great ground handler should be able to keep it around 5 lbs, and at that weight, the wing loading will be awesome.

heres a couple shots of my modded T-33, inlets and tail pipe area.
jhaywood is offline Find More Posts by jhaywood
Old Oct 22, 2012, 12:56 PM
DELTAS RULE
tehachapi, CA
Joined Jan 2006
22,850 Posts
might have to invest the time and do a real mold.....
corsair nut is online now Find More Posts by corsair nut