SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 13, 2012, 09:31 PM
United States, CA, Chino Hills
Joined Jan 2011
1,223 Posts
Hats Off to Brent

Brent will get his bird back together. Got to give him credit for one building a scratch jet as impressive as it is. And secondly for have the brass to push the throttle and roll into a subtle climb. That's why we build, and I'm sure even though it wasn't a picture perfect day it did fly it did land. I'm sure that Brent has more ideas of how to improve his next flight. It's the only way to figure out a scratch built plane.

The presence of the T-38 was very realistic in flight. I cannot wait till Brent does it again and has the picture perfect flight which will make all the effort even more worthwhile.

Great job Brent.
jefffassbinder is online now Find More Posts by jefffassbinder
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 13, 2012, 10:38 PM
Mister Fear
USA, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Nov 2010
254 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by falcon5 View Post
I think It could be fixed..in fact I know it can..just not sure how much weight woould be added. I bet she would weight a few pounds more after the fix
I'm just thinking out loud here... if repairing it would make it too heavy to fly well, I'd repair it and make the coolest static display model ever to hang from my ceiling...

It is way too cool to be scrapped even if it wont fly again.
Mr Pheer is online now Find More Posts by Mr Pheer
Old Oct 14, 2012, 10:16 AM
Yank Pilot
United States, CO, Hotchkiss
Joined Oct 2006
1,694 Posts
Thanks to all you guys who've let me experience something I'd never done before. Brent, thanks so much for letting me help you put your bird together. I'm glad I got to see it fly so beautifully. I know you'll have better times with that fine airplane.
Andy, the same for you too. It was a journey that is still not finished. Who knows where it may lead to. John, Darrell, Rodger, Ed, Hans-Joachim, Woody, Craig and all the rest of the fellows I met out there were so warm and open and congenial, that it was all worth while to bring my cancer stricken wife, out for her birthday, to watch all of the happenings. Thank you all so much! With the grace of the above and beyond, I'll be out there next year with something to fly!

Randy
Pilatuspc12 is offline Find More Posts by Pilatuspc12
Old Oct 14, 2012, 10:27 AM
KK6MQJ
Joined Sep 2004
13,699 Posts
I've been lurking in the thread for a while and was amazed (as usual) with what Andy and Brent had conjured up. I wish I could have been there to get a chance to shoot some media of them in flight and I am so sorry to see that both of them suffered damage.

I like to read comments like the one above mine ... when folks are impressed by the friendliness and congeniality of the modelers at these events. IMO, that speaks volumes about the folks who attended AITH and they are thus true ambassadors to the hobby. Quite a few of those of wearing the blue and orange shirts at the various events could perhaps take a lesson from this.
Bajora is offline Find More Posts by Bajora
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 14, 2012, 10:44 AM
deltas are cool
Tehachapi ,CA.
Joined Apr 2006
20,945 Posts
Randy thanks for the kind words,may the good Lord bless you and your wife .it was great to meet you .we surley have a bond with that place and all the good people we meet there,they treat us like rock stars.
Jon we missed you ,and your thoughts are well said.we still had a lot of guys taking pics and vid so i hope all that see them will thanks the guys for doing it ,as you know it takes a lot of work to cover these events.
AIR SALLY is offline Find More Posts by AIR SALLY
Old Oct 14, 2012, 08:21 PM
Now in TN!
Chapel Hill, TN USA
Joined Apr 2001
24,572 Posts
Randy,
Was great to meet up with you, enjoyed our visit. Our thoughts are with you and we look forward to seeing you two at future events.
The Vegas meet has a special place for us and always will. Only chance during the year to see some of our West Coast brethren. Have made a special friend in Darrell Stubbs, what an incredible guy.
How do four days go so quick???

J
J Morgan is offline Find More Posts by J Morgan
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: OV-10A Bronco from Palmer Plans
Old Oct 14, 2012, 10:38 PM
deltas are cool
Tehachapi ,CA.
Joined Apr 2006
20,945 Posts
yeah it seems like a dream
Old Oct 15, 2012, 08:52 PM
Yank Pilot
United States, CO, Hotchkiss
Joined Oct 2006
1,694 Posts
Thanks John and Rodger,
I'm looking forward to next year to see what else shows up at the "Ace"!
Pilatuspc12 is offline Find More Posts by Pilatuspc12
Old Oct 15, 2012, 09:50 PM
deltas are cool
Tehachapi ,CA.
Joined Apr 2006
20,945 Posts
something cool always shows up at the "Ace"
Old Oct 16, 2012, 02:24 AM
Deutschland, BW, Friedrichshafen
Joined Dec 2001
876 Posts
Hi, sorry to hear about your problems. Hope you two get it repaired soon.

CN, how about some setup data and pic of your build?! That pic in the video with the open wing area is cool! And you see how huge it is
Did you make the surface like Falcon?!

regards Martin
MaHö is offline Find More Posts by MaHö
Old Oct 16, 2012, 03:40 PM
Official Boat Bum
United States, NV, Reno
Joined Mar 2000
7,389 Posts
In the road of life and airplanes sometimes we get some serious hair pin turns without warning. But be that as it may, I am so impressed by you, Andy and you, Brent. What a build, what a set of projects, and what talent even among setbacks. And we know it can be fine tuned when the will to get back in there and slug out the fixes and repairs comes. I'm very glad you guys had a couple great days in addition to the -38 experiences. It's what it's all about. Sometimes a project can be overwhelming and take center stage to the point where just going out and flying something else or simple can be a really good dose of what it takes to remember why we have so much fun doing this.

You guys are awesome. Keep the faith.
Eddie P is online now Find More Posts by Eddie P
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 16, 2012, 05:06 PM
Capt. Z
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Dec 2004
2,642 Posts
Hey thanks Eddie,
Yep it was a GREAT experiance to build these birds. I learned a ton and got to make friends with a cool dude who really knows his stuff. Going to take what I learned on this project, apply it to the next.

Brents T-38 will fly again. I did look mine over real good the last couple days and it dosn't really look that bad, no damage to fans or electronics. I can fix the airframe no prabblem. Maybe by the next Vegas Ace in the Hole the 38 will fly again.

But my next project is on the drawing board and I think it will really be a good flyer. A real kick in the pants EDF. It's a 98" long Eurofighter that will have the two Stu fans that are in the T-38. 25 pounds AUW and FPV ready with full head tracking. I just finished the 180 degree head tracker rig and man it's sweet. I built a test version of this jet that is also 98" long and weighs18.5 pounds and it fly's great!! so I KNOW I can get it to 25 pounds with the same 27 pounds of thust my 38 had. I have a bunch of flights on my 98" long test version and should be able to knock out this next build in about 8 to 10 weeks.
Goal is to put the head gear on, advance the throttles, roll down the runway, rotate, pull to the vertical, look left, look right and watch the ground fall away . Next flight take the goggles off and have a hoot of time yanking and banking a twin Stu powered jet around the sky.
falcon5 is offline Find More Posts by falcon5
Old Oct 16, 2012, 06:24 PM
Lee Liddle
Carrollton, Tx
Joined Dec 2006
8,214 Posts
I'm a big fan of the EF 2000! Will you be doing a build thread on it Andy? I might join in with 3/4th version of yours (aprox 74") for a pair of 90's. I'm going to order some Styro Spray and try it out on something smaller as a construction trainer.
Knife Liddle is online now Find More Posts by Knife Liddle
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 16, 2012, 06:30 PM
St.Catharines, Ontario
Joined Jan 2009
10,377 Posts
yeah man, let's see a thread on that one. gotta love the Typhoon.
LuvEvolution7 is offline Find More Posts by LuvEvolution7
Old Oct 16, 2012, 07:00 PM
United States, NV, Fernley
Joined Oct 2011
2,066 Posts
Andy... After flying my 64" Su-35 Flanker at the Aces Vegas event this last week end. I really enjoyed how it could maneuver and is just made for a close in dog fighter. So I came away thinking of building a larger version of this after seeing what You and Brent did with the T38's. I was thinking of scaling it up 25% and dropping in a couple of 90 mm fans.

Maybe we should have a dog fight next year in Vegas? World war three anyone? BTW loved the way you flew your T Bird just awesome and super smooth.
acesimmer is offline Find More Posts by acesimmer