Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Oct 03, 2012, 11:04 AM
Now in TN!
Chapel Hill, TN USA
Joined Apr 2001
24,165 Posts
You want to talk blemishes, wait until you see my 119! I've got plenty.

J
J Morgan is offline Find More Posts by J Morgan
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: OV-10A Bronco from Palmer Plans
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 03, 2012, 11:13 AM
Capt. Z
Tonopah, Nevada
Joined Dec 2004
2,552 Posts
To make you feel even a tad better that 7500 watts was also with nose gear and door hanging down with right main only partialy retracted creating a ton of drag

Yep..I found this T-38 very addicting to fly. After every flight you can't wait til you can fly her again. Taxing it out for takeoff is a hoot in itself due to it's sheer size.
You advance the throttle and the fans spool up and you can see it trying to break free from the small flat spot it makes on the tire from 42 pounds sitting on it. Then a slight blip of the throttle and she breaks free and starts slowly rolling, a quick check of the nose wheel steering and your heart rate quickens. The 180 degree turn at the end of the runway is cool because you then see the full profile of the jet as she turns to line up for take off. heart rate quickens a little more as you know your about to take to the sky in a 12 foot long 42 pound 140 mph+ twin EDF R/C T-38 Talon jet...

Enjoy the maiden...I will have the hot line open so once back on the ground I will give you a few minuets to wipe the grin off your face then you better send out a txt to me with full report if you fly her on Thursday.
falcon5 is offline Find More Posts by falcon5
Last edited by falcon5; Oct 03, 2012 at 01:26 PM.
Old Oct 03, 2012, 01:54 PM
Capt. Z
Tonopah, Nevada
Joined Dec 2004
2,552 Posts
Thanks Eddie, very kind words.

She sure is a good flying jet. Nut's wing design I think was criticle. He put a good airfoil on it and put the right amount of washout in there.
Old Oct 03, 2012, 02:17 PM
DELTAS RULE
tehachapi, CA
Joined Jan 2006
21,775 Posts
yeah, im sure it will fly great, its just going to take a little while to get going. then again, these huge models almost follow differnt rules than smaller models do, especially when it comes to wing loadings. im really looking forward to it. its going to be a challenge getting used to its size on the approach though...
corsair nut is online now Find More Posts by corsair nut
Old Oct 03, 2012, 02:41 PM
Capt. Z
Tonopah, Nevada
Joined Dec 2004
2,552 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by corsair nut View Post
... then again, these huge models almost follow differnt rules than smaller models do, especially when it comes to wing loadings. im really looking forward to it. its going to be a challenge getting used to its size on the approach though...
Yeah I'm sure you will be fine.

If you would feel better doing the maiden with unlimited bail out options that a lake bed offers the Boulder city, 20 min drive or Jean dry lake beds 35 min drive from the Ace in the Hole event were my 1/4 scale and turbine days stomping grounds back when I lived in Vegas. I test flew everything on the lake bed. If you guys roll into town Thursday and want to do the maiden on the lake bed, then go to the event from there let me know I will give you directions. Now it's been 10 years since I have been to those lake beds but it should be pretty much the same. I hope.

I think you guys come up I15 from the south right..heck you will drive right past the Jean dry lake bed on your way to to the event.
Last edited by falcon5; Oct 03, 2012 at 02:54 PM.
Old Oct 03, 2012, 04:53 PM
deltas are cool
Tehachapi ,CA.
Joined Apr 2006
20,615 Posts
pack that thing up and bring her home cant wait to see it
AIR SALLY is online now Find More Posts by AIR SALLY
Old Oct 03, 2012, 07:20 PM
United States, NV, Fernley
Joined Oct 2011
1,969 Posts
Any chance of directions to those dry lakes? I'll be in Vegas Friday evening and at the event. Only issue is the embarrassment of showing up with my little 64" long F35 Flanker. I always thought it was quite big for a foam EDF until I saw yours. Your big boys could use mine to correct your CG if required. Oh well.... Have to start somewhere...
acesimmer is offline Find More Posts by acesimmer
Old Oct 03, 2012, 11:31 PM
deltas are cool
Tehachapi ,CA.
Joined Apr 2006
20,615 Posts
hey Andy ...i bet some of those shirts would sell to the WoW planes T-38 crowd too ...i'd be up for a shirt. good way to make some extra cash for batts
Old Oct 04, 2012, 12:05 AM
United States, CA, Lancaster
Joined Jan 2009
1,237 Posts
T shirts with this also.
p901P901 is online now Find More Posts by p901P901
Old Oct 04, 2012, 03:12 AM
deltas are cool
Tehachapi ,CA.
Joined Apr 2006
20,615 Posts
that looks like a DC cartoon
Old Oct 04, 2012, 05:14 AM
Mister Fear
USA, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Nov 2010
246 Posts
I was at the El Dorado (Boulder City) lake bed about a week ago, but it wasnt a lake bed. It was a lake. I saw all the water and just turned around. Was going to do some offroading but my Raptor isnt a submarine.
Mr Pheer is offline Find More Posts by Mr Pheer
Old Oct 04, 2012, 11:32 AM
Capt. Z
Tonopah, Nevada
Joined Dec 2004
2,552 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AIR SALLY View Post
pack that thing up and bring her home cant wait to see it
I second that motion...all in favor say I.... opoosed say nay...the I's have it.... motion carried

Bring that baby home

I was afraid the lake beds might be a little moist this time of year.. Oh well.

A/S..I ordered the T-shirts online, many differant vendors to choose from. I just googled "T-38 T-shirts" and a bunch came up. There are even vendors who will do custom work if you have a favorite photo you would like on a shirt. Shop around though some are more expensive than others.
Old Oct 04, 2012, 01:33 PM
United States, CA, Lancaster
Joined Jan 2009
1,237 Posts
Ya! whats taking you so long C/N?
p901P901 is online now Find More Posts by p901P901
Old Oct 04, 2012, 02:00 PM
Capt. Z
Tonopah, Nevada
Joined Dec 2004
2,552 Posts
Las Vegas weather looks pretty nice for the event. Friday sunny 83 degrees, wind SW 5 mph. Saturday sunny 85 degrees, wind SSW 4 mph.
Old Oct 04, 2012, 02:24 PM
white lake michigan
Joined Oct 2004
3,756 Posts
Where's Sparky, I don't think he has done the cartoon T38 yet.
unclecrash is offline Find More Posts by unclecrash