HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 20, 2012, 02:36 AM
Mister Fear
USA, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Nov 2010
246 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgfly View Post
I wonder what the full-scale close formation display pilots do...other than practice a lot? Is there a flight leader that calls the manouvres as they go or is it all just so well rehearsed that they leave the channel quiet unless there is a problem?

Yes there is a flight leader, plus they are rehearsed... and probably most importantly, they have a set speed for everything. They execute turns and rolls at a standard rate because they cannot see each other a lot of the time.
Mr Pheer is offline Find More Posts by Mr Pheer
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 20, 2012, 06:14 AM
2014 EDF JET JAM We be Jamming
St. Louis Intl, Missouri, United States
Joined Jan 1997
6,756 Posts
I just saw the Thunderbirds this past weekend, for the millionth time. Number 4 had some sort of malfunction right after #6 got airborne. The diamond, stayed in one section of the sky and #5 had its section and #6 had its section. Check out videos as suggested. The best ones include the team debrief after they fly.

Here is a video from 2009 @4:22....the flight leader of the diamond is all you really hear but the solos (5 and 6) are giving position cues...for reasons that should be clear.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Dpg97hO-Yw
Kevin Cox is offline Find More Posts by Kevin Cox
Old Sep 20, 2012, 08:08 AM
DELTAS RULE
tehachapi, CA
Joined Jan 2006
21,578 Posts
sounds good andy man, we need to go through our routine in FSX. maybe this weekend.

i think normally when we flew the 33's last year, we comunicated pretty well, discusing the manuver before the action. and when we fly fsx, we normally call out... 3 2 1 gear down, or flaps, ect. or "starting the pull now" the manuvers will be pretty simple with the 38's. for formation i donnt see any loops happening, but maybe some large climbs with split S like we did with the 33's. i also see some rolls, and some nice passes, maybe inverted passes.

z, where are your batteries located? im planning for just ahead of the wing, on the bottom of the fuse. im hoping i should be able to hit cg right there. i thikn my fans are farther forward than yours, located just aft of the main gear.
corsair nut is online now Find More Posts by corsair nut
Old Sep 20, 2012, 10:39 AM
Oshkosh, WI
Joined Nov 2002
2,389 Posts
Nice vid of the T-birds, Kevin. And to reflect on the risk of close air formation, can you confirm what I think happened at 1:10 -1:12 in the opening segment of your vid? I see 4-ship patriot formation pulling up of a loop, then a big flash behind the tree at 1:12 & subsequent only a 2-ship show. Was there a mid-air with the other 2 planes?

Phil
PhilLin is online now Find More Posts by PhilLin
Old Sep 20, 2012, 10:56 AM
Capt. Z
Tonopah, Nevada
Joined Dec 2004
2,542 Posts
Sounds good.

My batts are just in front of the wing also. The front end of the batts are just about even with the intakes. I had to move my batts back about 3 inches after I put the cockpit/canopy's on to maintain CG. The hollow foam one I have been flying with was feather light, the cockpit tub pilot, canopy's and framwork weigh a tad more so had to move the batts. I actualy put the CG 1/4" futher back than I had it the first 5 flights so I am right about 9 1/4" now. Havn't flown it there yet though.

Finishing up the new battery box now and a few other little house keeping things. Then I figure I will give it a good nose to tail inspection, open up the access pannels check fan mounting screws and wireing, ball links, servo conections, the works..give it a good going over before Vegas Prabbaly won't fly her again until Vegas. .

Me getting there on Thursday may not happen, due to work... dang I might miss your maiden.. The force will be with you
falcon5 is offline Find More Posts by falcon5
Old Sep 20, 2012, 11:21 AM
Capt. Z
Tonopah, Nevada
Joined Dec 2004
2,542 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilLin View Post
can you confirm what I think happened at 1:10 -1:12 in the opening segment of your vid? I see 4-ship patriot formation pulling up of a loop, then a big flash behind the tree at 1:12 & subsequent only a 2-ship show. Was there a mid-air with the other 2 planes?

Phil

That was a special effect...someone messing with ya
Old Sep 20, 2012, 11:37 AM
DELTAS RULE
tehachapi, CA
Joined Jan 2006
21,578 Posts
cmon, pull some strings man!

because mine is lighter i think ill probably end up with the batts right at the edge of the wing.

i thought your cg was 9.5"??
Old Sep 20, 2012, 12:26 PM
Capt. Z
Tonopah, Nevada
Joined Dec 2004
2,542 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by corsair nut View Post
cmon, pull some strings man!

because mine is lighter i think ill probably end up with the batts right at the edge of the wing.

i thought your cg was 9.5"??
Yeah the first 5 flights it was at 9.5" ..I was going to move it back 1/4" and see how it handeled but ehhh I may just put it back to 9.5.

What did you decide to use for exhaust nozzles? Hand made??
Last edited by falcon5; Sep 20, 2012 at 01:09 PM.
Old Sep 20, 2012, 02:27 PM
DELTAS RULE
tehachapi, CA
Joined Jan 2006
21,578 Posts
yeah, ill probably just roll some glass or CF sheet. i thought about mylar, but its pretty flimbsy
Old Sep 20, 2012, 06:49 PM
deltas are cool
Tehachapi ,CA.
Joined Apr 2006
20,515 Posts
you better start bringing it home ,i might have some time to help ...if al goes well with the F-20 ,i did'nt touch it today ,but i'll get an hour or so tonite when i get home.where are you at with it .we need daily updates to help keep you on track.
AIR SALLY is offline Find More Posts by AIR SALLY
Old Sep 21, 2012, 08:37 AM
DELTAS RULE
tehachapi, CA
Joined Jan 2006
21,578 Posts
doing more wing fitment last night, and more pin hole filling. also assembeled fans, added motor lead extensions, and glued in my fan mounts.

the goal is to paint it a week from monday. this next week ill be finishing up body work, making the front dash board, and installing the canopy, and the vertical, and body working them in. i also need to start on gear doors and AB cans, as well as finishing up my servo tray stuff, which ive already started. plans to bring it home have already been arranged. im getting 5-6 hours a night on it, bringing it home wont do me much good since i never have time to work on anything. i feel pretty comfortable with having it done for vegas, minus cockpit detail, and perhaps inner doors.

on top of that, andy made me a deal i couldnt refuse on 2 12s 8000 packs. quoting a famous movie...." were gunna need a bigger.....charger....." lol. ok ok, i guess it really said boat haha
Old Sep 21, 2012, 11:42 AM
deltas are cool
Tehachapi ,CA.
Joined Apr 2006
20,515 Posts
sounds like you have a good plan...we just had the shuttle do a flyover our house! sweet
AIR SALLY is offline Find More Posts by AIR SALLY
Old Sep 21, 2012, 06:54 PM
Just an Earth bound misfit - I
Canada, ON, L'Orignal
Joined Nov 2010
1,092 Posts
1/4 scale T-38's, shuttles flying overhead.....I wish I lived near you guys
vanderbrander is offline Find More Posts by vanderbrander
Old Sep 24, 2012, 04:25 PM
Now in TN!
Chapel Hill, TN USA
Joined Apr 2001
24,074 Posts
You done yet Nut????

J
J Morgan is offline Find More Posts by J Morgan
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: OV-10A Bronco from Palmer Plans
Old Sep 25, 2012, 07:40 AM
DELTAS RULE
tehachapi, CA
Joined Jan 2006
21,578 Posts
get'n there. should be in paint by next monday.

down to the wire as always...