SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 18, 2012, 08:22 AM
Capt. Z
Tonopah, Nevada
Joined Dec 2004
2,564 Posts
We need another update Nut..how's the 38 comeing along??

Man those Kfir shots are pretty sweet
falcon5 is offline Find More Posts by falcon5
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 18, 2012, 10:27 AM
RC Logger Support
United States, WV, Hurricane
Joined Jan 2010
3,239 Posts
Can't wait to see the video's from vegas. This has to be the coolest thread I've ever followed on rcgroups. I know where your headed as your next project with the fpv and all. But I think once you have it down, next up you should build a jet large enough that Chilly can ride in.
jlcamp7 is online now Find More Posts by jlcamp7
Old Sep 18, 2012, 01:10 PM
DELTAS RULE
tehachapi, CA
Joined Jan 2006
22,052 Posts
ok, wings/tails are primed, last night i did a finish coat of resin on the fuse. going to sand it today, and do the first primer on the fuse. today the goal is to get the FWD fuse mounts glued in, and glass taped, then put some CF glass in the battery area. im also starting to get the gear rigged up. i got my motors in, so fan assembly and fan mounts should happen this week. im also going to start on the cockpit, and get the dash boards in so i can glue the canopy down and body work it before paint. pilots and seats will have to wait for after vegas. next week ill be rigging gear doors, landing gear, and servo pockets, and final prep for paint. the following week will be paint and panel lines, bring it home, put on decals, weather it a little, clear coat the whole thing, and setup the radio. just in time to leave for vegas on thursday morning lol holy crap, ive got a ton of work to do. but i tell you what, its pretty exiting seeing parts in primer!!!! feels like im getting somewhere now...
corsair nut is online now Find More Posts by corsair nut
Old Sep 18, 2012, 01:16 PM
Capt. Z
Tonopah, Nevada
Joined Dec 2004
2,564 Posts
AWESOME!!!! GREAT WORK!!!

Can't wait to see it.

Thanks Jlcamp7,

Maybe a mini set of FPV cat goggles
Old Sep 18, 2012, 01:34 PM
United States, CA, Lancaster
Joined Jan 2009
1,243 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by falcon5 View Post
AWESOME!!!! GREAT WORK!!!

Can't wait to see it.
Me too
p901P901 is offline Find More Posts by p901P901
Old Sep 18, 2012, 02:00 PM
RC Fanatic
USA, NC, Greensboro
Joined Mar 2002
1,380 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlcamp7 View Post
Can't wait to see the video's from vegas. This has to be the coolest thread I've ever followed on rcgroups. I know where your headed as your next project with the fpv and all. But I think once you have it down, next up you should build a jet large enough that Chilly can ride in.
Chilly can ride in this one lol all though I think he would find another home after landing...
Reco is offline Find More Posts by Reco
Old Sep 18, 2012, 06:13 PM
deltas are cool
Tehachapi ,CA.
Joined Apr 2006
20,790 Posts
sounds like nut is going to make it ,im trying to finish up the F-20 so i might be able to give him a hand if needed.you need to get some of those folding stands from harbor freight to hold that beast.
AIR SALLY is online now Find More Posts by AIR SALLY
Old Sep 18, 2012, 11:39 PM
DELTAS RULE
tehachapi, CA
Joined Jan 2006
22,052 Posts
i figure we can use the stand you had for the falcon eh.

so, i got the fuse primered, and the fwd fuse detachement mounts in. put all the parts on and took it outside. i also mounted the mains, so it was the first time all together in primer, and on legs. holy crap, its huge! lol. its hard to imagine that it might accualy fly. ive got to have a solid 1,000 hours into this thing by now.

tonight im making servo mount parts, and modding the nose strut to fit the retracts. so tomorrow ill have the nose gear in, and ill start mounting servo mounts. i will aslo start the cockpit. you know once its in primer, it shows everything, so ive got alot of pinhole and weave filling to do, along with some fitment filling between fwd and aft fusses, and the wing to fuse joint. ill probably skip on the inner gear doors and big nose gear door for vegas, i just dont think ill have time, but i guess we'll see. i will if theres time. my strategy has changed a little, i was going to rattle can the white, and then spray a semi gloss clear, but after rattle canning the primer, its going to be hard to get to look nice. so, ive got some white paint that was for my car, so i think ill use that instead, and spray it on with a gun. dad, you need to get the subby out of the barn lol. your holding up operations!! i need to get ahold of callie this weekend, and get decals ordered. because of shortage of funds, looks like ill be flying it on my old 5000 packs rather than on 6000's that i was hoping to purchase. no biggie, just means ill only get 4-4.5 min flights. unless i can borrow some of andys monster 8000's! lol

ps....this thing is HUGE! holy crap it sits high! i dont even have to ben over to push it by the tail. feels like im 5 again, pushing my dads old jets....they seemed about this big when i was that age haha.. ps...ive youve never tried to carry a 12ft fuse without banging into something, your not missing much haha. its fun to finnaly see the work paying off, and its starting to look like a sexy talon! its like JLO with wings lol
Old Sep 19, 2012, 12:20 AM
Deutschland, BW, Friedrichshafen
Joined Dec 2001
867 Posts
pictures

I´m looking forward to the formation flying

regards Martin
MaHö is offline Find More Posts by MaHö
Old Sep 19, 2012, 03:21 AM
deltas are cool
Tehachapi ,CA.
Joined Apr 2006
20,790 Posts
the subie is all over the barn eh! no chance to even star on t till after vegas,we'll just have to push it out ....or paint it outside .you got thinner for the paint? auto zone may have some white ....they have a few cans of paint there with there primer that i spray with my gun.
Old Sep 19, 2012, 09:06 AM
Capt. Z
Tonopah, Nevada
Joined Dec 2004
2,564 Posts
What's a "subie" ?

Oh man your going to have it in paint and decals for Vegas!!! ...too cool!!

Yeah she's a monster alright.. this is the first plane I was able to lay on my back and work on the belly of it while it sits on it's gear as the nose extended 3 feet pased my feet and tail 3 feet past my head while I layed under it.

Keep up the good work wingman...every time I see mine all put together I try and picture another one sitting next to it and I just just shake my head in amazment.

I rememebr when the side view of the fuselage 3 view first rolled off the giant printer in kinko's and streached 12 feet out into the lobby I thought OMG!!! what have we goten ourselfs into.
Last edited by falcon5; Sep 19, 2012 at 09:38 AM.
Old Sep 19, 2012, 10:22 AM
Capt. Z
Tonopah, Nevada
Joined Dec 2004
2,564 Posts
I will bring an extra set of 8000's with me.
Old Sep 19, 2012, 11:07 AM
deltas are cool
Tehachapi ,CA.
Joined Apr 2006
20,790 Posts
a subie is my subaru WRX,wife melted 2 pistons,so im rebuilding the motor
Old Sep 19, 2012, 11:28 AM
Capt. Z
Tonopah, Nevada
Joined Dec 2004
2,564 Posts
Ahh.. thanks AS

Nut with your dad handy checking CG should be no prab for two people but if your by your self and need to check the CG here is how I did it.

Lay under the jet, and bench press the plane with your bent index fingers with the thumb supporting the 90 degree bent finger from below on CG. Yours will be a little lighter but 42 pounds for me was a tad heavy to balance on the tips of two fingers. This way was a little easier.
If it tips back it just sits on the mains, if it tips forward it sits on the nose gear. You can manipulate it with your leg from under the nose...
Last edited by falcon5; Sep 19, 2012 at 11:44 AM.
Old Sep 19, 2012, 12:06 PM
DELTAS RULE
tehachapi, CA
Joined Jan 2006
22,052 Posts
hahaa thats a great tip! i made sure that i had solid balsa under the skin where the cg is for checking purposes, under that is the 1/4" thick ply for the gear plates. ones things for sure, i dont think i could pick the whole thing up at once, especially with batteries in it! right now its only like 18lbs with nothing in it lol.

extra set of 8000's to use!!!! sweeeeet!!!! thanks Z man! i tried looking for those, i dont think they sell them anymore. you use 6mm connectors right?