Looks super falcon5.

Cheers -- Stacker
stacker is offline Find More Posts by stacker
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 08, 2012, 12:44 PM
Lincolnshire, UK
Joined Oct 2009
522 Posts
Stunning work by you guys. Any more thoughts on the power system?
Si Goodchild is offline Find More Posts by Si Goodchild
Old Jan 08, 2012, 04:52 PM
Germany
Joined Jul 2010
485 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AIR SALLY View Post
they always taxie the real one with the canopies open ...not sure they have good airconditioners for ground duties.there is a lot of lift on the canopies so they need to lock down real good.
There is no freon air conditioner and you can adjust the cockpit temperature provided that what you want is equal to or more than outside air temperature. For a scale T-38 pilot in the summer don't forget sweat stains all over the flying suit. I remember coming back from a low level sortie to SPS and when I opened the canopy the 100 degree heat felt like a nice, cool breeze.
Kwahn is online now Find More Posts by Kwahn
Old Jan 08, 2012, 10:01 PM
deltas are cool
Tehachapi ,CA.
Joined Apr 2006
20,502 Posts
yep the guys at edwards have them open all the time in the summer ...i bet they cant wait to get to 10,000 ft for some cool air.
AIR SALLY is offline Find More Posts by AIR SALLY
Old Jan 09, 2012, 10:13 AM
C-5 Flight Engineer
Joined May 2005
408 Posts
Kwahn, the T-38 as well as all other AF aircraft do not use freon to cool the air. They use "cooling air turbines" which rapidly expand the air going through it to "super cool" the air. The air then passes through a water separator to remove up to 85 percent of the moisture. Just thought you would like that useless bit of info ;-)

BTW-This T-38 project is BAD A5S! Always loved the Talon. good luck with the project!
PANTHERFLYR is offline Find More Posts by PANTHERFLYR
Last edited by PANTHERFLYR; Jan 09, 2012 at 10:15 AM. Reason: spelling
Old Jan 09, 2012, 11:42 AM
Germany
Joined Jul 2010
485 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PANTHERFLYR View Post
Kwahn, the T-38 as well as all other AF aircraft do not use freon to cool the air. They use "cooling air turbines" which rapidly expand the air going through it to "super cool" the air. The air then passes through a water separator to remove up to 85 percent of the moisture. Just thought you would like that useless bit of info ;-)

BTW-This T-38 project is BAD A5S! Always loved the Talon. good luck with the project!
I know, I wrote in my above post that there is NO freon AC installed.
While I was told back then about the working principle of the AC and what an engineering marvel it is I experienced first hand that it pretty much doesn't do anything at idle power on the ground. I was also told that the T-37 uses the same principle but it was even hotter in the tweet.
Old Jan 09, 2012, 11:55 AM
deltas are cool
Tehachapi ,CA.
Joined Apr 2006
20,502 Posts
lot more glass in the tweet....like a magnifiying glasshot and the loudest plane at idle i've ever herd ...hurts at that high pitch.
AIR SALLY is offline Find More Posts by AIR SALLY
Old Jan 09, 2012, 11:57 AM
Carbon fiber is our friend
United States, CA, Lodi
Joined Feb 2001
4,182 Posts
This is an awesome project! Reminds me of the crazy huge foam electics I used to read about in EFI many years ago. Those were usually from Germany, so you guys show 'em Americans are nuts too!

I asked my friend about a/c in those planes (5 yrs T-38 instructor) and he said they worked just fine in Texas. He said the T-37 was the one that didn't keep you very cool. Older system I guess.
Steve C is offline Find More Posts by Steve C
Old Jan 09, 2012, 12:46 PM
Germany
Joined Jul 2010
485 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve C View Post
This is an awesome project! Reminds me of the crazy huge foam electics I used to read about in EFI many years ago. Those were usually from Germany, so you guys show 'em Americans are nuts too!

I asked my friend about a/c in those planes (5 yrs T-38 instructor) and he said they worked just fine in Texas. He said the T-37 was the one that didn't keep you very cool. Older system I guess.
I must be a sweaty p***y then. Will now stop polluting this thread with irrelevant information.
Old Jan 09, 2012, 03:13 PM
Capt. Z
Tonopah, Nevada
Joined Dec 2004
2,540 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Si Goodchild View Post
Stunning work by you guys. Any more thoughts on the power system?
Thanks Si,
My power system has been confirmed as two Stumax SM100-45 fans on 10S each for 4500 watts each. O'l Stu himself is going to set the fans up for me and test run them so they will be drop in ready when I get em'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kwahn View Post
I must be a sweaty p***y then. Will now stop polluting this thread with irrelevant information.
Aww heck no Kwahn, anything T-38 or funny, or just plain cool to see or read is definitely a GO on this thread. It's cool to have pilots who flew the jet to give interesting history and characteristics on it. I was reading the other day about how the full size T-38 stalled and I guess it didn't have a break to it, it just mushed, but the students needed good stall training in the jet to prevent accidents. I read it was not spin certified.

Did some landing gear plotting today and cut the nose gear door opening and made the door.
falcon5 is offline Find More Posts by falcon5
Old Jan 09, 2012, 05:01 PM
Joined Feb 2010
1,672 Posts
jeez what a build.

foam is AWESOME!!!!
Doushiyou12 is offline Find More Posts by Doushiyou12
Old Jan 09, 2012, 05:58 PM
Team EJF >>>WHOOSH>>>
Joined Jul 2004
5,212 Posts
This is just awesome...
AceMigKiller is offline Find More Posts by AceMigKiller
Old Jan 09, 2012, 06:30 PM
2014 EDF JET JAM We be Jamming
St. Louis Intl, Missouri, United States
Joined Jan 1997
6,755 Posts
Wow!
Kevin Cox is offline Find More Posts by Kevin Cox
Old Jan 09, 2012, 07:42 PM
United States, IL, Edwardsville
Joined Dec 2011
236 Posts
A couple t-38 fun facts on things already mentioned.

The water seperator in the air conditioner would often freeze up. Selecting full hot would melt the ice and result in ice chunks flying out of the vent. Quite often the ice would be accompanied by a loud bang kind of like a compressor stall from the back pressure.

The stall was defined by heavy buffet, wing rock and sink rate greater than 6000 VVI. The nose never dropped like in a general aviation airplane. The irregular heavy buffet was really the key.

The airplane was difficult to spin. Once it got into a spin it was very difficult to get out which is why spins were prohibited. The spin recovery procedure was full aileron into the spin.

The rudder was mechanically limited when the gear was up and didnt really do much unless you had a lot of angle of attack on the wing.
flyingfitz737 is offline Find More Posts by flyingfitz737
Last edited by flyingfitz737; Jan 09, 2012 at 07:49 PM.
Old Jan 09, 2012, 08:30 PM
DELTAS RULE
tehachapi, CA
Joined Jan 2006
21,519 Posts
what was vertical performance like and did you ever do dogfight training in it? if so how did it compare to other fighters? was it smooth in aerobatics? what was the lift off and touch down speed?
corsair nut is online now Find More Posts by corsair nut