HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 14, 2012, 10:16 PM
United States, CO, Denver
Joined Apr 2012
52 Posts
Found this thread over the weekend, read through all 140+ pages, simply fantastic model you've built! I just got into rc planes this year, and have started experimenting with building simple prop planes from blue and pink core foam. Was wondering how you cut your foam, I've been using a box cutter with fresh blade, but it seems to catch and tear little bits out along the seam every so often.
mwoneal is offline Find More Posts by mwoneal
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 14, 2012, 10:24 PM
St.Catharines, Ontario
Joined Jan 2009
10,377 Posts
Use an xacto knife and change the blades frequently. Otherwise, you could use a hotwire setup.
LuvEvolution7 is offline Find More Posts by LuvEvolution7
Old Aug 14, 2012, 10:28 PM
check for reversed controls
United States, CA, Chino
Joined Oct 2007
9,969 Posts
Orange plastic box cutter from 99 cent store works well . Don't just drag the blade thru the foam try to make a slicing motion. Change the blade often with 9mm break off blades from Home Depot and for goodness sakes don't get your flesh in the way.
alpea 41 is offline Find More Posts by alpea 41
Old Aug 14, 2012, 10:51 PM
Joined Apr 2012
52 Posts
Thanks, I will try out these methods on some scrap foam.
Old Aug 14, 2012, 10:59 PM
Capt. Z
Tonopah, Nevada
Joined Dec 2004
2,552 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwoneal View Post
Found this thread over the weekend, read through all 140+ pages, simply fantastic model you've built! I. Was wondering how you cut your foam, I've been using a box cutter with fresh blade, but it seems to catch and tear little bits out along the seam every so often.
Hi mwoneal,

Welcome to the T-38 thread and welcome to R/C airplanes. Wow, you read through all 140+ pages..pretty cool!!

Due to the 1" thick foam used in this T-38 build I used the X-acto #5 blade for cutting out most of the parts. To make a cut I would use a streight edge and take my time and the first cut only goes about half way through, then the next cut a little further and by the third pass I would usualy be all the way through and have a clean cut.

Thinner foam say 1/2" thick may only take one or two strokes.

Welcome aboard.

Andy
falcon5 is offline Find More Posts by falcon5
Old Aug 15, 2012, 08:30 AM
RC Fanatic
USA, NC, Greensboro
Joined Mar 2002
1,356 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by falcon5 View Post
Hi mwoneal,

Welcome to the T-38 thread and welcome to R/C airplanes. Wow, you read through all 140+ pages..pretty cool!!

Due to the 1" thick foam used in this T-38 build I used the X-acto #5 blade for cutting out most of the parts. To make a cut I would use a streight edge and take my time and the first cut only goes about half way through, then the next cut a little further and by the third pass I would usualy be all the way through and have a clean cut.

Thinner foam say 1/2" thick may only take one or two strokes.

Welcome aboard.

Andy
A true surgeons tools
Reco is online now Find More Posts by Reco
Old Aug 15, 2012, 09:48 AM
Crystal River Fl.
Joined Jul 2008
3,681 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvEvolution7 View Post
Use an xacto knife and change the blades frequently. Otherwise, you could use a hotwire setup.
I haven't put in a new xacto blade in a couple of years now! I keep a stone on the bench, a few licks across it, and better than new, yes, sharper than a new blade! and yes I have a whole box of blades up on the shelf somewhere! Another trick learned right here on RCG!!!! w.
Waltjg is offline Find More Posts by Waltjg
Old Aug 15, 2012, 11:38 AM
Capt. Z
Tonopah, Nevada
Joined Dec 2004
2,552 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waltjg View Post
I haven't put in a new xacto blade in a couple of years now! I keep a stone on the bench, a few licks across it, and better than new, yes, sharper than a new blade! and yes I have a whole box of blades up on the shelf somewhere! Another trick learned right here on RCG!!!! w.
Well there ya go,, cool tip Walt.

Gona head on over to the post office and see if those clear plastic thingy's are there yet.. should be gettin' close
Last edited by falcon5; Aug 15, 2012 at 11:47 AM.
Old Aug 15, 2012, 01:15 PM
DELTAS RULE
tehachapi, CA
Joined Jan 2006
21,758 Posts
oh man, i hope you post pics when you get them!
corsair nut is online now Find More Posts by corsair nut
Old Aug 15, 2012, 01:52 PM
Capt. Z
Tonopah, Nevada
Joined Dec 2004
2,552 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by corsair nut View Post
oh man, i hope you post pics when you get them!
Will do...my middle name is Paparazzi...

No yellow card today..I saw the big mail truck leaving the post office as I was driving up. If it is on that truck by the time they sort and put the cards in the boxes I won't know til tomorrow.
Old Aug 15, 2012, 08:40 PM
Joined Apr 2012
52 Posts
Andy,

Thanks for sharing, appreciate the information. That is a big X-acto blade. Great job again on the jet.

Mark
Old Aug 16, 2012, 11:16 AM
DELTAS RULE
tehachapi, CA
Joined Jan 2006
21,758 Posts
a little update, wing spars made (43"x1.2"x1/8") carbon fiber spars, 2 for wing, 1 in vertical that runs down and connects with stab spar. wings are glued together, and belly pan glued on. just about ready to glass belly pan, and start final body work on the wing/belly pan. i also installed the nose gear mount, and used 2 layers of 6oz C/F cloth on the inside of the wing sadle area. pretty damned strong. i also made the rudder mech to operate it from a servo inside. still need to install it though. man, i tell ya what, when you stand this wing up on end, its way taller than me. and im 6-2! crazy stuff! i need to weigh everything today to see where im at. i think i can hit 30 lbs if i dont get crazy on paint and glass work...... if i hit 30 lbs, this thing will be a serious leaf! lol.

andy, those canopies should be there today i rekon!
Old Aug 16, 2012, 01:33 PM
Capt. Z
Tonopah, Nevada
Joined Dec 2004
2,552 Posts
Great update!!!...yea if you hit 30 pounds she sure will be a floater on landing..good work!!
Old Aug 16, 2012, 01:45 PM
DELTAS RULE
tehachapi, CA
Joined Jan 2006
21,758 Posts
no canopies yet?
Old Aug 16, 2012, 04:28 PM
DELTAS RULE
tehachapi, CA
Joined Jan 2006
21,758 Posts
so, some good news, i weighed what i have so far. the wings/stabs/vertical all all glassed, and most of the structure is in the airplane so far. i also weighed the retracts with struts. so far im up to 12.6lbs. thats not too bad, since my power system (fans/esc's/motors/batts) is about 12 lbs. so to hit 30 i have to keep the rest of the airframe and servos down to 5.4lbs. i figure ive got 1.40 lbs of servos/rx. that leaves me with 4lbs for glass on fuse/light coat of primer and paint, and the cockpit. thats pushing it, but i feel i can keep it under 32lbs for sure. i think 32lbs is the max weight at which ill still maintain good performance given the power setup. and thats 10 lbs less than andy's so we already know how sweet his flies, even at 42 lbs. that leaves me pretty stoked, but also lets me know i cant get crazy with fuse glassing and paint if i want to hit the mark.