SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Aug 08, 2012, 02:04 PM
DELTAS RULE
tehachapi, CA
Joined Jan 2006
21,860 Posts
good news!!!! kieth told me the canopies turned out great!!! WOOOO HOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!
kieth sparks is the MAN!!!!!!!!!
corsair nut is online now Find More Posts by corsair nut
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 08, 2012, 02:41 PM
Capt. Z
Tonopah, Nevada
Joined Dec 2004
2,553 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by corsair nut View Post
good news!!!! kieth told me the canopies turned out great!!! WOOOO HOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!
Whooo Hoooo!!!!! AWESOME!!!!

Man when Nut told me over the phone how much work went into makeing the plug I was amazed...!!!

Great job Brent and Kieth !!!!! Iook forward to the install.
falcon5 is offline Find More Posts by falcon5
Old Aug 08, 2012, 03:13 PM
DELTAS RULE
tehachapi, CA
Joined Jan 2006
21,860 Posts
just watched the video. that puppy had no problem climbing out huh! yeah, that was a super long roll, you need to put some friction in those tires...
corsair nut is online now Find More Posts by corsair nut
Old Aug 08, 2012, 04:52 PM
Capt. Z
Tonopah, Nevada
Joined Dec 2004
2,553 Posts
Yea I can shorten it a couple hundred feet or so with the new landing teqnique and tighten the colars a bit and loose about 4000 feet of alitude above sea level.

When you get close to your maiden Brent I will mail you the little GPS unit and you can check the max speed of your 38. I checked it against my truck and it was spot on to the speedometer and it only weghs a few grams.
Old Aug 08, 2012, 07:00 PM
Retired and Lovin' it!
United States, KY, Sturgis
Joined Jul 2007
2,493 Posts
It wouldn't look right without a good rollout. The T-38 landed fairly hot and it didn't have a drag chute so the rollout is quite realistic. Course, if you have a short runway, then you gotta do what you gotta do.

Tony
tpfing is online now Find More Posts by tpfing
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 08, 2012, 11:28 PM
deltas are cool
Tehachapi ,CA.
Joined Apr 2006
20,641 Posts
most the full scale 38's up here use areo braking .....i've seen 38's roll on the mains for over a mile.so might have to move the gear fwd so you can ride the mains
AIR SALLY is offline Find More Posts by AIR SALLY
Old Aug 09, 2012, 07:26 AM
Another one on the way...
Plano, Texas
Joined Feb 2009
2,353 Posts
Air Sally, I'm not sure why you might have to move the gear forward.
As far as brakes--I have brakes only on one plane (my Yellow F/A-18, if I ever finish to build it...), but I've done my research and found that you want to use a proportional braking valve. This might be obvious to you, so this is a "just in case you didn't know..." After research, the one that was the most affordable AND recommended was the UP6 (approx. $60-70). That's what I bought for and installed in my F/A-18.
ysolomon is offline Find More Posts by ysolomon
Old Aug 09, 2012, 07:37 AM
Now in TN!
Chapel Hill, TN USA
Joined Apr 2001
24,200 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by corsair nut View Post
Great! And yes, Sparky is The Man! Well, maybe after Andy that is.

J
J Morgan is offline Find More Posts by J Morgan
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: OV-10A Bronco from Palmer Plans
Old Aug 09, 2012, 09:22 AM
Capt. Z
Tonopah, Nevada
Joined Dec 2004
2,553 Posts
A/S was just kidding YSOLOMON. moveing the gear forward would assist to ride the nose high after landing to use fuselage breaking like the real ones...but you have to look for the rolling eyes face at the end
Old Aug 09, 2012, 10:42 AM
Plano, Texas
Joined Feb 2009
2,353 Posts
I thought so, but wasn't sure. Prefer to make a fool out of myself than to potentially miss an important piece of knowledge... Never afraid to ask...
Old Aug 09, 2012, 11:12 AM
Capt. Z
Tonopah, Nevada
Joined Dec 2004
2,553 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ysolomon View Post
I thought so, but wasn't sure. Prefer to make a fool out of myself than to potentially miss an important piece of knowledge... Never afraid to ask...
Absolutely, no such thing as a dumb question .

You know i got to thinking How many folks on here had a hand in this plane. I couldn't have built and flown the 38 successfully without all the great advice and info that was passed along on this thread. And with Brent and Roger making the wings and canopy plug that just made things sooo much easier.

Thanks again to everyone who has followed and contributed to the build.

Andy
Old Aug 09, 2012, 11:55 AM
Plano, Texas
Joined Feb 2009
2,353 Posts
"no such thing as a dumb question"

Actually, I disagree. There is such a thing as a dumb question. You just need to not be afraid to ask it, as you don't know if it's dumb or not. Many people make mistakes because they are afraid to ask dumb questions...

Man, your plane is an inspiration. You know how typically the first dimension you get for a new ARF is the wingspan? Maybe your next one should have a 144" wing-span... The vertical stabilizer video shows how stable it is in the air. I would be afraid to fly it... I almost finished my Yellow F/A-18, but I know I will not have the courage to fly it until I fly a few smaller ones and feel really proficient with them, so I'm probably a year or two away from that.
Old Aug 09, 2012, 12:10 PM
Capt. Z
Tonopah, Nevada
Joined Dec 2004
2,553 Posts
Good luck with the F-18 and when your ready I am sure she will fly GREAT!!!

Yeah the 38 fly's like a big trainer I was amazed at 42 pounds an 82" wing span jet could fly so stable..I read the fuselage on the T-38 provides over 40% of the total lift.
Old Aug 09, 2012, 03:12 PM
Plano, Texas
Joined Feb 2009
2,353 Posts
I"m not surprised. When I calculated the wing cube loading for the F-18 (wings only) I got something like 55... The planes I currently fly are around 18... But I heard from more than one person that the right way to calculate it is to also include the fuse area. Especially with those "wide bodies" such as the F-5/T-38, F-18, and F-15. In fact, they don't really need wings. I don't know if you ever saw this:
F-15 landing with one wing. Real story. (5 min 55 sec)
Old Aug 09, 2012, 07:15 PM
Official Boat Bum
United States, NV, Reno
Joined Mar 2000
7,162 Posts
And in the same vein, here is some video of a plane making it back with no wings! (The lifting bodies of the 60's-70's). This should put a picture to the idea that the fuselage contributes to lift and reduces actual wing loading numbers as compared to just looking at wing area only.

Most of the coverage of NASA lifting bodies shows the heavy rocket powered metal lifting bodies launched from a B-52. The famous clip being the crash and complete wipe-out crash landing used in the "Six Million Dollar Man" intro scene. While those are interesting and prove a lot of data points, the original lifting body is the most interesting part of the project to me.

EDIT - Wolf got me straight on the genesis of the program, it was the Dryden research team of NASA / NACA for the initial LiftingBody tests.

M2-F1 Flight Operations -- Lifting Body Technology Demonstrator (1 min 26 sec)

Six million dollar man lifting body wipe out!

The Six Million Dollar Man TV Intro (1 min 32 sec)
Eddie P is online now Find More Posts by Eddie P
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Eddie P; Aug 10, 2012 at 11:01 AM.