HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 15, 2012, 12:32 PM
Have Fun! Land, Sea or Air
United States, TX, Austin
Joined Jul 2006
1,354 Posts
I know the seat of the pants works for a Cessna, but how about a T-38?? You would have to base it on known power and pitch settings to get you to the ground.
jetcaptain is offline Find More Posts by jetcaptain
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 15, 2012, 01:03 PM
Capt. Z
Tonopah, Nevada
Joined Dec 2004
2,553 Posts
The video is pretty lame with all the wind noise, but here is the takeoff, two passes and the landing..wind was blowing pretty hard at times. I used flaps on this flight for the landing and the amount is visiable when I taxi in at the end. When I get that nose gear to retract all the way I feel it should eliminate quite a bit of drag.

T-38 2nd flight (1 min 41 sec)
falcon5 is offline Find More Posts by falcon5
Last edited by falcon5; Jul 15, 2012 at 01:30 PM.
Old Jul 15, 2012, 01:23 PM
RC Fanatic
USA, NC, Greensboro
Joined Mar 2002
1,359 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by falcon5 View Post
The video is pretty lame with all the wind noise, but here is the takeoff, two passes and the landing..wind was blowing pretty hard at times. I used flaps on this flight for the landing and the amount is visiable when I taxi in at the end. When I get that nose gear to retract all the way I feel it should eliminate quite a bit of drag.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fllh5tFXLKI
Nothing short of spectacular... I know your getting tired of the gear not fully retracting. You can tell the power difference it moves around the sky with authority. Cant wait to see more. P.S. your camera date is out of sync.
Reco is online now Find More Posts by Reco
Old Jul 15, 2012, 01:50 PM
Capt. Z
Tonopah, Nevada
Joined Dec 2004
2,553 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reco View Post
You can tell the power difference it moves around the sky with authority.
Yea Reco this was a base line flight. I left the exit diamiter at 80mm and left the cheater holes open. Now I will open the exit to 90mm for more static thrust and experiment with the cheater holes. And when I get that darn nose to retract all the way it will be a red letter day

It's not just the nose strut and wheel that make the drag it's the back door that when open is a blunt flat plank that I am sure is acting like a speed break.
Old Jul 15, 2012, 01:52 PM
Do it Right, the first time!
United States, MN, Hermantown
Joined Dec 2008
5,211 Posts
falcon5, thanks for sharing. Considering the scale of this project ( and I don't mean size) you have only had what I would consider minor set backs.
Wouldn't we all like to build a plane, and have every thing perfect the first flight!
Looks like the only bug left is retracting the nose gear. And BTW, where the heck is that canopy??
CoolerByTheLake is offline Find More Posts by CoolerByTheLake
Old Jul 15, 2012, 01:53 PM
Da' Cajun
Lake Charles, Louisiana
Joined Jun 2009
2,868 Posts
Fabulous Andy. Simply fabulous.
Boogie_ is offline Find More Posts by Boogie_
Old Jul 15, 2012, 02:43 PM
Now in TN!
Chapel Hill, TN USA
Joined Apr 2001
24,196 Posts
So sweet! Sure makes your truck look small.

J
J Morgan is offline Find More Posts by J Morgan
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: OV-10A Bronco from Palmer Plans
Old Jul 15, 2012, 03:02 PM
Florida
Joined Nov 2007
2,498 Posts
I love it, I love it

Great job Andy.

Fahim
awrightbrother is offline Find More Posts by awrightbrother
Old Jul 15, 2012, 03:11 PM
RC Fanatic
USA, NC, Greensboro
Joined Mar 2002
1,359 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolerByTheLake View Post
falcon5, thanks for sharing. Considering the scale of this project ( and I don't mean size) you have only had what I would consider minor set backs.
Wouldn't we all like to build a plane, and have every thing perfect the first flight!
Looks like the only bug left is retracting the nose gear. And BTW, where the heck is that canopy??
I vote for Edwards AFB to open a runway for Falcon and any further test flights just to iron out these minor details.
Reco is online now Find More Posts by Reco
Old Jul 15, 2012, 05:19 PM
Crystal River Fl.
Joined Jul 2008
3,681 Posts
Fantastic Andy! Congrats! Now you need your good camera person to shoot a really good vid!! w.
Waltjg is offline Find More Posts by Waltjg
Old Jul 15, 2012, 06:12 PM
DELTAS RULE
tehachapi, CA
Joined Jan 2006
21,853 Posts
looks awesome wingman! the rotation was really nice and probably could have been sooner again, i think the magic will happen with 10 deg of flap for takeoff. im sure youll get there....baby steps lol. more flap on landing will really slow down. that puppy was moving out pretty sweet man! if the nose gear stays down, just do a roll, it will drop right in i have no shame....ive had to do it before lol. have you rolled it yet? looks awesome man. but to be honest the canopy is just killing it....whats the deal! hahaha...just joking...the plugs are just about done should have you some canopies in a little over a week shouldnt take kieth long once he gets the plugs.
corsair nut is online now Find More Posts by corsair nut
Old Jul 15, 2012, 07:18 PM
2014 EDF JET JAM We be Jamming
St. Louis Intl, Missouri, United States
Joined Jan 1997
6,774 Posts
Well done Andy!
Kevin Cox is offline Find More Posts by Kevin Cox
Old Jul 15, 2012, 07:38 PM
Another one on the way...
Plano, Texas
Joined Feb 2009
2,353 Posts
Very impressive, again!
ysolomon is offline Find More Posts by ysolomon
Old Jul 15, 2012, 07:52 PM
United States, TX, Schertz
Joined Mar 2006
1,348 Posts
Andy:

Wonderful job. Great build. Thanks for sharing.

Ed
A10pilot is offline Find More Posts by A10pilot
Old Jul 15, 2012, 08:58 PM
Capt. Z
Tonopah, Nevada
Joined Dec 2004
2,553 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by corsair nut View Post
if the nose gear stays down, just do a roll, it will drop right in i have no shame....ive had to do it before lol. .
Yea I was going to roll it into place but the door jams it. The doors are timed to give the gear about 5 seconds to retract them close. If the gear is stuck open the door jams the wheel.

Hanv't rolled it yet but it feels pretty responsive. I will start the full monty of manouvers here in the next few flights.

Everything seemed to stay nice and cool, right after I landed I laser checked the back of the motors and they read 114 degrees. Both ESC's were barly warm to the touch so being exposed to the outside air really helps out. Batts were just warm to the touch not hot.
Last edited by falcon5; Jul 15, 2012 at 09:06 PM.