HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 05, 2012, 07:43 PM
DFC~ We Do Flyin' Right
USA, GA, Atlanta
Joined Nov 2008
14,156 Posts
Very nice

Your cockpit detailing is already looking so nice it would be a shame not to open it up to show off your work
bsbauman is online now Find More Posts by bsbauman
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My New Workshop
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 06, 2012, 01:57 AM
deltas are cool
Tehachapi ,CA.
Joined Apr 2006
20,505 Posts
they always taxie the real one with the canopies open ...not sure they have good airconditioners for ground duties.there is a lot of lift on the canopies so they need to lock down real good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Morgan View Post
"Ail, Elev, Rud, Retracts, Flaps, gear doors, not sure on speed brake, but toying with the idea of a manualy opening canopy. I think It would look cool sitting there with both canopys open."

And it would keep the cockpit from overheating on hot days, always a problem.

J
AIR SALLY is offline Find More Posts by AIR SALLY
Old Jan 06, 2012, 05:29 AM
Now in TN!
Chapel Hill, TN USA
Joined Apr 2001
24,057 Posts
Yep, a canopy that popped open in flight and didn't detach would be a nightmare.

J
J Morgan is offline Find More Posts by J Morgan
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: OV-10A Bronco from Palmer Plans
Old Jan 06, 2012, 07:32 AM
it wasn't me flying that plane
United States, NC, Wilmington
Joined Mar 2011
704 Posts
One way of getting a light coat of glass or epoxy over the cloth is to blot it with a paper towel to absorb all the excess liquid...just a thought..I've done tons of boat and surfboard glassing over the years and this is a good way to keep it from pooling in areas..
Hover or die is offline Find More Posts by Hover or die
Old Jan 06, 2012, 09:19 AM
United States, IL, Edwardsville
Joined Dec 2011
236 Posts
I have had success with unrolling bathroom tissue over the wetted glass cloth under a little pressure to soak up excess resin. Give it a few seconds to absorb then carefully pull it off. You are left with a nice even layer of glass with no excess.

Another way I have heard of but not tried is to determine the amount of resin required by weight. Weigh the cloth. The weight of resin to use is around 40% of the total weight of cloth plus resin. The theory goes that if you spread all this resin over the area of the cloth it should soak/wet evenly and correctly. Let me know if it works if you try it!
flyingfitz737 is offline Find More Posts by flyingfitz737
Old Jan 06, 2012, 10:17 AM
Capt. Z
Tonopah, Nevada
Joined Dec 2004
2,540 Posts
Good info, thanks guys. All my glassing stuff should be here next week. I think I have a good design for the canopy lock down, I will work on building the opening canopy frame this weekend.

Thanks again for all the GREAT info..
falcon5 is offline Find More Posts by falcon5
Old Jan 06, 2012, 11:30 AM
United States, TX, Grand Prairie
Joined Nov 2005
5,677 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingfitz737 View Post
I have had success with unrolling bathroom tissue over the wetted glass cloth under a little pressure to soak up excess resin. Give it a few seconds to absorb then carefully pull it off. You are left with a nice even layer of glass with no excess...
Thx! This is worth a try, I've seen some nice lightweight glassing work over foam and it looks incredible...tap resistant, hard shelled and light.
erh7771 is offline Find More Posts by erh7771
Old Jan 06, 2012, 11:33 AM
United States, VA, Herndon
Joined May 2007
959 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingfitz737 View Post
I have had success with unrolling bathroom tissue over the wetted glass cloth under a little pressure to soak up excess resin. Give it a few seconds to absorb then carefully pull it off. You are left with a nice even layer of glass with no excess.
I've done similar using a whole roll of paper towels. Think of it like using a lint roller to gently pick up the excess resin. When the outside layer of the paper towel roll is wet pull it off and continue.
wilmracer is online now Find More Posts by wilmracer
Old Jan 06, 2012, 12:40 PM
Crystal River Fl.
Joined Jul 2008
3,681 Posts
Hummm,,, not sure where all this picking up too much epoxy came from but while your brushing it on, just don't put too much on, then you won't have to worry about picking it up... JMHO.. w.
Waltjg is offline Find More Posts by Waltjg
Old Jan 06, 2012, 03:41 PM
DELTAS RULE
tehachapi, CA
Joined Jan 2006
21,524 Posts
had to reglue a couple seams in the coke bottle section with gorilla glue today...set it out in the sun to dry..went back in the garage to work on a sabre....kids playing...walk around the corner...one of my sons is poking tons of holes in the bottom with a stick...ahh the joys of parenthood.
corsair nut is online now Find More Posts by corsair nut
Old Jan 06, 2012, 03:52 PM
Now in TN!
Chapel Hill, TN USA
Joined Apr 2001
24,057 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by corsair nut View Post
had to reglue a couple seams in the coke bottle section with gorilla glue today...set it out in the sun to dry..went back in the garage to work on a sabre....kids playing...walk around the corner...one of my sons is poking tons of holes in the bottom with a stick...ahh the joys of parenthood.

J
J Morgan is offline Find More Posts by J Morgan
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: OV-10A Bronco from Palmer Plans
Old Jan 06, 2012, 03:53 PM
Capt. Z
Tonopah, Nevada
Joined Dec 2004
2,540 Posts
I was using spackle yesterday and thought:

Ahhh spackle my good friend, you are there for me when I bump my foam airplane against the wall as I move it from place to place, When the file slips out of my hand and mashes a gash in my creation, when the screw driver slips off the screw head and pokes a hole in the work I just spent 6 hours shaping Ahhh spackle my good friend where would I be without you. I propose a toast, what ever drink is your hand raise it high to our good friend...spackle

Also good for kids poking holes in dads plane.
falcon5 is offline Find More Posts by falcon5
Last edited by falcon5; Jan 06, 2012 at 04:51 PM.
Old Jan 06, 2012, 04:04 PM
DELTAS RULE
tehachapi, CA
Joined Jan 2006
21,524 Posts
waka waka waka!
Old Jan 06, 2012, 06:07 PM
Singapore, Singapore
Joined Jan 2006
329 Posts
Absolutely amazing!!! You guys have definately "raised the bar" with EDF's in this unique build. Now I know why mom likes you more there bro! Are these monsters going to be ready for Superfly? I know how thin the original T-38 wing is and was wondering what retract you were going to use that would fit.
Well, I'm very impressed and can't wait to see it.
skyracer068 is offline Find More Posts by skyracer068
Last edited by skyracer068; Jan 06, 2012 at 06:27 PM.
Old Jan 06, 2012, 06:13 PM
DELTAS RULE
tehachapi, CA
Joined Jan 2006
21,524 Posts
thanks man! yyeah im hoping to be done by summertime.
going to try and keep the wing as thin as possible...i havnt nailed down the retracts yet...