SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jul 10, 2012, 03:14 PM
deltas are cool
Tehachapi ,CA.
Joined Apr 2006
20,971 Posts
nice to know you got your gear i need to order up a nose gear ,mine got trashed in my Falcon crash man these high powered big EDF hurt when they crash ...i lost about $1000.00 to $1200.00 just in equipment. the airframe was cheap
AIR SALLY is online now Find More Posts by AIR SALLY
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 10, 2012, 05:31 PM
Capt. Z
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Dec 2004
2,645 Posts
Man sorry to hear that Roger.. it can add up that's for sure.

I made the mistake of looking at my order history on Tower Hobbies the other day...
falcon5 is offline Find More Posts by falcon5
Old Jul 10, 2012, 08:33 PM
Austin, Texas
Joined Dec 2005
254 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reco View Post
Wolf you're a littloff Panchos is actually south west of that location, Look for the structure that has a round swimming pool that she would use for her horses. Here are the coords

3451'49.02"N
11757'20.47"W
Sorry, I had bad gouge. Where is the airstrip that she had? There looks to be something farther to the west, immediately south of Willow Springs Rd.
bd5wingnut is offline Find More Posts by bd5wingnut
Old Jul 11, 2012, 11:40 PM
deltas are cool
Tehachapi ,CA.
Joined Apr 2006
20,971 Posts
thats a private strip ....her place was on what is now edwards AFB.right under the main runway about 2-3 miles from the west end.
Old Jul 12, 2012, 12:50 AM
Official Boat Bum
United States, NV, Reno
Joined Mar 2000
7,394 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by falcon5 View Post
The mains take the 1/2" strut right in the trunion. First time I have had a socket type retract like this and it's very solid and easy to adjust. Pretty cool.

Mine were $280

Each retract is about 4oz, so pretty light for their size.
So are you sold on "old school" pneumatics again for the heavy iron? I've had my trials and tribulations with electric retracts - some are getting much better while others are still not ready for prime time.
Eddie P is offline Find More Posts by Eddie P
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 14, 2012, 03:05 PM
Capt. Z
Joined Dec 2004
2,645 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie P View Post
So are you sold on "old school" pneumatics again for the heavy iron? I've had my trials and tribulations with electric retracts - some are getting much better while others are still not ready for prime time.
Yeah the ol'l spring airs work pretty nice. I got them installed and the T-38 is ready for another flight. I like how the gear come down too. They don't slap open, there is about a 2 second delay and they just flop out then slowly extend and then I hear the three little clicks of each gear locking into place. pretty cool.

Since I had to do an entire redesign of the nose mount I made the nose gear slightly longer to give the jet a little higher angle of attach on takeoff.

If the weather holds I will take her for a couple more flights in the morning and get some GPS data on her performance with 12,000 watts and the gear all nice and retracted and doors closed.
Old Jul 14, 2012, 05:18 PM
RC Fanatic
USA, NC, Greensboro
Joined Mar 2002
1,430 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by falcon5 View Post
Yeah the ol'l spring airs work pretty nice. I got them installed and the T-38 is ready for another flight. I like how the gear come down too. They don't slap open, there is about a 2 second delay and they just flop out then slowly extend and then I hear the three little clicks of each gear locking into place. pretty cool.

Since I had to do an entire redesign of the nose mount I made the nose gear slightly longer to give the jet a little higher angle of attach on takeoff.

If the weather holds I will take her for a couple more flights in the morning and get some GPS data on her performance with 12,000 watts and the gear all nice and retracted and doors closed.
Dont forget some more cap mounted video or have you already mounted the camera in the ship?
Reco is offline Find More Posts by Reco
Old Jul 14, 2012, 07:59 PM
Have Fun! Land, Sea or Air
United States, TX, Austin
Joined Jul 2006
1,357 Posts
Can't wait to see this thing fly on the new Batt's. I went ahead and made your check list for you Falcon.

New Landing Gear (Check!)
Hat Cam (Check!)
12000 Watts (Check!)

jetcaptain is offline Find More Posts by jetcaptain
Old Jul 14, 2012, 08:46 PM
DELTAS RULE
tehachapi, CA
Joined Jan 2006
22,444 Posts
man, cant wait to hear how it goes. what the crap is up with that canopy....i thought somebody was making you one....lol haha.

good luck man! i say, fly it, then plug up the cheaters and fly it again. check the gps. im thinking your better off without them..
corsair nut is offline Find More Posts by corsair nut
Old Jul 14, 2012, 09:15 PM
Now in TN!
Chapel Hill, TN USA
Joined Apr 2001
24,582 Posts
You're right Nut, that canopy just doesn't look right.

J
J Morgan is offline Find More Posts by J Morgan
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: OV-10A Bronco from Palmer Plans
Old Jul 14, 2012, 09:58 PM
Official Boat Bum
United States, NV, Reno
Joined Mar 2000
7,394 Posts
Now that the jet has cheaters maybe after the first season of flying is complete you can rig up a blow in door or servo operated one connected to flaps switch - 90 percent up is clean wing and all the way up is cheaters closed Hey, just what you need more work and complicated suggestions from the popcorn and peanut gallery.
Eddie P is offline Find More Posts by Eddie P
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 15, 2012, 12:06 AM
deltas are cool
Tehachapi ,CA.
Joined Apr 2006
20,971 Posts
just put the speed brakes in and have them go overcenter and up into the fuse ...cheater holes ,when up to speed move them to flush ...when landing move them to open
Old Jul 15, 2012, 03:21 AM
Molde, Norway
Joined Jan 2001
2,458 Posts
That's the way JHH did it way back when the Cougar was designed, using the speedbrakes as cheaters.
Arngeir Blakseth is offline Find More Posts by Arngeir Blakseth
Old Jul 15, 2012, 11:04 AM
United States, AK, Ketchikan
Joined Mar 2008
1,377 Posts
Looking forward to seeing video of the next flights. But I thought that guy making the canopy for you had finished??
bdshort is offline Find More Posts by bdshort
Old Jul 15, 2012, 11:34 AM
Capt. Z
Joined Dec 2004
2,645 Posts
Took the T-38 up for a flight this morning.The extra power was quite noticable and she flew great. The nose gear did not retract due to the head wind on it so I will need to increas the air preasure in the tank on the next flight to overcome the wind. I got a little hat cam video of the flight and it's loading now and should be up in a couple hours.

The wind was blowing around 10 to 15 mph and the GPS recorded a top ground speed of 134.8 MPH on a downwind pass, so on a calm day and with the nose gear and door closed I figure she will do around 125.mph give or take.
Last edited by falcon5; Jul 15, 2012 at 11:39 AM.