HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 05, 2012, 11:49 AM
Official Boat Bum
United States, NV, Reno
Joined Mar 2000
7,520 Posts
This is a good documentary about Pancho and it's on Netflx (at least it was last year when I stumbled upon it and watched it).

http://www.legendofpanchobarnes.com/film/index.php

She was clearly born out of place in time but was a very accomplished pilot. Say what will be said about her looks - and she always struggled with that and where she "fit" into society - but she started the Hollywood Stunt Pilots union and was the very first female test pilot (civilian) and flew better than most of the boys. If she had been born a man she would have probably gotten into fist fights with the likes of Roscoe Turner for sport.

My sister is an aviation attorney and was giving a talk on women in aviation in Seattle and I asked her if she was going to somehow feature Pancho in her piece. She said, "Pancho who??" And I was like, "WHAATT!!???"
Eddie P is online now Find More Posts by Eddie P
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 05, 2012, 01:02 PM
RC Fanatic
USA, NC, Greensboro
Joined Mar 2002
1,451 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bd5wingnut View Post
Actually she was not at all bad looking until well into her 30's. She died (1975) alone and basically broke in her home on the northwestern edge of the Mojave.

Story about Pancho:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pancho_Barnes

Last remains of "Pancho's Happy Bottom Riding Club":
http://tinyurl.com/6nfrn6q

Peace, Wolf
Wolf you're a littloff Panchos is actually south west of that location, Look for the structure that has a round swimming pool that she would use for her horses. Here are the coords

3451'49.02"N
11757'20.47"W
Reco is online now Find More Posts by Reco
Old Jul 05, 2012, 02:59 PM
Pug Pilot
Wichita, Kansas
Joined Dec 2004
805 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reco View Post
Wolf you're a littloff Panchos is actually south west of that location, Look for the structure that has a round swimming pool that she would use for her horses. Here are the coords

3451'49.02"N
11757'20.47"W
Yeah, if you put these coordinates in Google Maps ( 34.863666,-117.956219 ) and zoom in, you can still see the round swimming pool and the building foundations. I doubt one could get to this place, even if you had access to the base, but it would be cool to visit.
moxjett is offline Find More Posts by moxjett
Old Jul 05, 2012, 03:22 PM
--
United States, WA, Ravensdale
Joined Jan 2011
155 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by moxjett View Post
Yeah, if you put these coordinates in Google Maps ( 34.863666,-117.956219 ) and zoom in, you can still see the round swimming pool and the building foundations. I doubt one could get to this place, even if you had access to the base, but it would be cool to visit.
I work on the base, and you can still access the site (but you do need access to the base to get out there). The base actually throws a "Pancho Barnes Party" each year out at the site... if you look at the top of the picture, you can see two blue porta-johns in the photo...
Cobra68 is offline Find More Posts by Cobra68
Old Jul 05, 2012, 04:23 PM
Pug Pilot
Wichita, Kansas
Joined Dec 2004
805 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra68 View Post
I work on the base, and you can still access the site (but you do need access to the base to get out there). The base actually throws a "Pancho Barnes Party" each year out at the site... if you look at the top of the picture, you can see two blue porta-johns in the photo...
That's cool! That would be a fun party to attend. I was stationed at George AFB back from 88' to '92 and I went and watched a Ducted Fan Jet Rally just outside of Edwards on one of the dry lake beds and that's as close to Edwards AFB I've ever been.
moxjett is offline Find More Posts by moxjett
Old Jul 05, 2012, 04:57 PM
Capt. Z
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Dec 2004
2,654 Posts
Hmmmm... a Pancho Barns EDF jet rally get together. Bunch of us get togther and dedicate a jet rally to a great lady..that would be cool.
falcon5 is offline Find More Posts by falcon5
Old Jul 06, 2012, 12:23 PM
Low rates are for wimps
United States, CO, Colorado Springs
Joined May 2008
3,425 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by falcon5 View Post
Hmmmm... a Pancho Barns EDF jet rally get together. Bunch of us get togther and dedicate a jet rally to a great lady..that would be cool.
+1

That would be amazing!
bwoollia is online now Find More Posts by bwoollia
Old Jul 06, 2012, 01:21 PM
deltas are cool
Tehachapi ,CA.
Joined Apr 2006
21,168 Posts
pm "x plane guy" he might be able to put that together...we would have to fly from the lakebed as the happy bottom is directly under the flight path of the main runway at Eddies. i've flown over the remains several times.
AIR SALLY is online now Find More Posts by AIR SALLY
Old Jul 06, 2012, 05:19 PM
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Dec 1996
7,935 Posts
I almost went to the Best In The West Jet rally in 89 or 90 when it was held on one of the lakebeds there (Rosamond?) but I called the CD and it got rained out, the lake was flooded. I did go the jet rally near there near Palmdale, The Right Stuff Jet Rally. Still have the wore out shirt from 1999. All I had was a Kyosho T-33 with a redesigned fuselage. I don't miss bungees.
Ed Waldrep is offline Find More Posts by Ed Waldrep
Old Jul 06, 2012, 05:58 PM
deltas are cool
Tehachapi ,CA.
Joined Apr 2006
21,168 Posts
we did a little flying at the rained out Bitw we got in trouble for going on the wet lake bed ...it was wet from the road to about 60ft in ,we went around the wet spot at higher ground .yes it was Rosemond dry lake ,Rogers dry lake is used for space shuttle landings ,and emergiency landings .they used to do madien from there back in the early 50's,all the rocket planes landed on rogers lake bed too back in the day
AIR SALLY is online now Find More Posts by AIR SALLY
Old Jul 06, 2012, 09:43 PM
Another one on the way...
Plano, Texas
Joined Feb 2009
2,409 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by falcon5 View Post
OK, ya'll made me watch the movie on Netflix...
ysolomon is online now Find More Posts by ysolomon
Old Jul 06, 2012, 11:40 PM
Glider Guider
United States, CO, Hotchkiss
Joined Oct 2006
1,711 Posts
Wow, cool stuff! It's not just about the model airplanes but the stories that go along with them.
Pilatuspc12 is offline Find More Posts by Pilatuspc12
Last edited by Pilatuspc12; Jul 07, 2012 at 11:07 AM.
Old Jul 10, 2012, 12:56 AM
Capt. Z
Joined Dec 2004
2,654 Posts
I got the retracts in the mail and started the install. It's nice haveing the right equipment going in, instead of trying to fiddle with a lower rated gear and trying to get it to work. The mains went in fairly easily and the nose will take a bit of a mod to get everything working correctly as the geometry of the gear is a little differant. I got a good start on the nose gear mount mods and also had to mod the strut, I should have it all set up and ready for another flight by Saturday.

The Spring Air gear are really nice. I like only one hose going to the gear and anything less than about 20 PSI in the tank and the gear come down on their own and lock nicely into place. 80 PSI lifts the long struts with ease.
Old Jul 10, 2012, 10:45 AM
DELTAS RULE
tehachapi, CA
Joined Jan 2006
22,743 Posts
dang, those look nice!!! what do the mains look like? do they take 1/4 wire or are the socket type that hold the strut in the trunion? how much were they?
corsair nut is online now Find More Posts by corsair nut
Old Jul 10, 2012, 11:43 AM
Capt. Z
Joined Dec 2004
2,654 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by corsair nut View Post
dang, those look nice!!! what do the mains look like? do they take 1/4 wire or are the socket type that hold the strut in the trunion? how much were they?
The mains take the 1/2" strut right in the trunion. First time I have had a socket type retract like this and it's very solid and easy to adjust. Pretty cool.

Mine were $280

Each retract is about 4oz, so pretty light for their size.